• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone over 45 TTc ?buddies needed <3

We saw a private ob-gyn here in Ireland and then began pre-IVF consultant at the Lister. My GP here was fantastic and she ran most of the tests (except for AMH, which had to be done privately), in my case, I was put on metformin and then, when the pre-IVF bloods showed I had an underactive thyroid, put me on a low dose of eltroxin. I was also doing acupunture after meeting with a fertility nurse at Zita West's clinic in London. Ultimately, we got lucky naturally at age 43, with our LO born last year - and he's a very happy and healthy little boy....

We have decided to ttc again, although I am at ripe old age of 45. My GP saw no reason not to, as it appears that statistically 45 isn't that far off 43/44 (in terms of fertility) and my pregnancy itself was okay until the last few weeks. Sadly, I did have a mc back when I was 41, but am hopeful that it was the undiagnosed thyroid that may have been the problem?

anyway, will be touching base in this thread (if you don't mind), for a bit of encouragement! We conceived our LO last time around day 9 (!), as we were advised due to longish PCOS cycles to try from day 7 to day 30 (!) and hopefully, will get lucky again. If not, c'est la vie....

hugs and best wishes!

ps. I also had/now again have a very healthy diet before getting lucky last time, but no money for acupunture this time around....!

hi and you're very welcome to this thread, by sometimes optimistic, sometimes scared, sometimes just needing a soundboard, over 45 ladies TTC and beat the odds! Also nice to have another Irish lady in here! BTW thanks for the heads up on the AMH not being done by the GP, I was going to ask for that when I went for my progesterone tests!

OMG you're kidding aren't you about the wait Months!
I may be moving over to the UK very soon! I'm worried now because my GP has been all for me trying for a baby! I thought with the better medical service back in the UK it would be at least the same help, if not better!

Well, I might be exaggerating a little about the "months" but it'd certainly be a number of week before I got to see a consultant if I needed to see one. I'm not sure how long the waiting list is in my area. Also, my own GP (doctor) has the most annoying appointment system ever. You have to phone up and ask for a callback from a doctor, then the doctor decides whether you need to see them or not. Last time I asked to see the doctor (nothing related to TTC) they said I could just see a nurse, which I wasn't very happy about. So I'd have to get an appointment with a doctor, ask for tests, come back to have the tests taken when the blood-taking nurse is free (I waited 2-3 wks for blood tests once), then wait a week for the results, then phone up to get an appt. with the doctor to discuss the results, then, if necessary get referred to a consultant, etc etc. You know what it's like - when you're that bit older you feel the pressure of time a lot. It's not like being 20 yrs old or something when you have years and years of chances to conceive.

I wish I could just phone some expert up and see them a.s.a.p.

Don't worry though because a) you won't have to go through my doctor's silly phone system, and b) with you I think it'd be a bit different because you've already started on a doctor-led plan of TTC. So I'd guess any UK doctor would see you and then go along with what you and your doctor in Ireland had planned. If I was you, I'd get your current doctor to write a letter or something that you can give your new doctor in the UK.

Another point to make is that I'm in a rural area in SW England so they isn't much choice of services here. It depends where you're moving to in the UK. I'm sure bigger cites or anywhere near major cities would be a lot better. For me, I feel stuck by not being near big cities and major facilities.

I think the most important thing is to find a doctor you get along with, that you trust, and who takes your opinion and wishes seriously.

Were not sure as to where we will be living as yet. My DF is waiting on a job in Wiltshire and has a second interview for a job in Hampshire also! So I could be SW or South coast! Both exciting as I don't know any of these areas!:happydance:

Were not sure as to where we will be living as yet. My DF is waiting on a job in Wiltshire and has a second interview for a job in Hampshire also! So I could be SW or South coast! Both exciting as I don't know any of these areas!:happydance:

Both nice areas, I think :) I have a friend in Wiltshire and it's a beautiful county, but also nearish to big places like Reading. Hampshire I don't know as well as Wiltshire, but, again, it'll be reasonably close to big cities, so hopefully you'll have good facilities nearby.

I hope the interviews go well :)

We saw a private ob-gyn here in Ireland and then began pre-IVF consultant at the Lister. My GP here was fantastic and she ran most of the tests (except for AMH, which had to be done privately), in my case, I was put on metformin and then, when the pre-IVF bloods showed I had an underactive thyroid, put me on a low dose of eltroxin. I was also doing acupunture after meeting with a fertility nurse at Zita West's clinic in London. Ultimately, we got lucky naturally at age 43, with our LO born last year - and he's a very happy and healthy little boy....

We have decided to ttc again, although I am at ripe old age of 45. My GP saw no reason not to, as it appears that statistically 45 isn't that far off 43/44 (in terms of fertility) and my pregnancy itself was okay until the last few weeks. Sadly, I did have a mc back when I was 41, but am hopeful that it was the undiagnosed thyroid that may have been the problem?

anyway, will be touching base in this thread (if you don't mind), for a bit of encouragement! We conceived our LO last time around day 9 (!), as we were advised due to longish PCOS cycles to try from day 7 to day 30 (!) and hopefully, will get lucky again. If not, c'est la vie....

hugs and best wishes!

ps. I also had/now again have a very healthy diet before getting lucky last time, but no money for acupunture this time around....!

Hi SabrinaKat :)

So cool that you got pregnant at 43! I think sometimes some people write off older women. Your GP sounds helpful and encouraging, which is lovely. Fingers crossed mine will be too.

I did find an acupuncture clinic about 45 miles away that did fertility acupuncture, and I'm still thinking about that. Partly the ongoing cost, partly the travel, partly worrying that it might be risky if I was lucky enough to conceive one month and didn't realise so had acupuncture. Did you stop after ovulation each month?

Both nice areas, I think :) I have a friend in Wiltshire and it's a beautiful county, but also nearish to big places like Reading. Hampshire I don't know as well as Wiltshire, but, again, it'll be reasonably close to big cities, so hopefully you'll have good facilities nearby.

I hope the interviews go well :)

He's over there right now..... interview this afternoon
Looks like his phn is not working while in UK again! Very frustrating..... he isn't back in Ireland until thursday.

Has anyone any info on evening primrose oil, or are using it? I started using it yesterday for regulation of my cycle, with my chasteberry. Anything to help get my cycle a little more "normal"

Batty I used EPO for my first 3 cycles but I was taking them to help me with CM, it dId not help with that and idk if it helped regulate me, maybe it gave me a push. My first 2 cycles where really painful, late O, short LP, but they are much better now and the only think I'm still on is the vitex. L-Arginine is what worked for my CM (and libido ;))

Batty I used EPO for my first 3 cycles but I was taking them to help me with CM, it dId not help with that and idk if it helped regulate me, maybe it gave me a push. My first 2 cycles where really painful, late O, short LP, but they are much better now and the only think I'm still on is the vitex. L-Arginine is what worked for my CM (and libido ;))

Hi BBbliss I started the Vitex last month myself. (foul tasting stuff yuck) I just want my cycles to regulate quickly as each cycle could be my last! :shrug:
Have my first progesterone blood test of the month tomorrow and thyroid also, going to ask about AMH.

Libido is not a problem though, thank goodness! :happydance:

Hi BBbliss I started the Vitex last month myself. (foul tasting stuff yuck) I just want my cycles to regulate quickly as each cycle could be my last! :shrug:
Have my first progesterone blood test of the month tomorrow and thyroid also, going to ask about AMH.

Haha you lucky girl! GL tomorrow btw I was got my TSH and prolactin back and was trying to find out what the optimum TTC numbers are, like I said before, we need to know what they mean by "normal"

My TSH is .97 and prolactin is 6.0
All I need now is my progesterone

Tomorrow I got for my procedure at the hospital. I'm nervous and a bit stressed. I hope I wake up and my dr. Tells me my tubes are clear and ready to make a baby :)

Haha you lucky girl! GL tomorrow btw I was got my TSH and prolactin back and was trying to find out what the optimum TTC numbers are, like I said before, we need to know what they mean by "normal"

My TSH is .97 and prolactin is 6.0
All I need now is my progesterone

Tomorrow I got for my procedure at the hospital. I'm nervous and a bit stressed. I hope I wake up and my dr. Tells me my tubes are clear and ready to make a baby :)

Have my fingers crossed for you about the plumbing! Let us know how it goes! :hugs::hugs:
I have my prolactin levels, but mine are 151 mU/L so not sure how to convert to US standard? says on my blood sheet normal range is 40 - 530 so where I am in all that who the hell knows? :wacko:

Has anyone any info on evening primrose oil, or are using it? I started using it yesterday for regulation of my cycle, with my chasteberry. Anything to help get my cycle a little more "normal"

I'm currently taking:

EPO 1000mg capsules one a day (with my evening meal)
Vitex 400mg capsules two a day (one with breakfast, one with evening meal)

My CM has improved in this last cycle and I only started the EPO this cycle so there may be a connection. I've only been taking it up to ovulation and then I stopped as I read it can interfere with implantation. Previously, I'd taken EPO for years to help with PMT, but last year my cycles went a bit weird and I'd just upped my dose of EPO so I wondered if it was that and so stopped it totally until this last month when I started it again. The reason I started it again was to increase my CM. Last year on many occasions, I had lots of CM yet just before I started TTC the silly stuff decided to disappear practically! So I'm trying the EPO to help that.

As for the Vitex, I started that last year when my cycles went weird. They were getting shorter and seemed 'unstable' as I had spotting more than usual. I read stuff on the internet and thought I'd try Vitex to see if it'd help. I initially started off taking just one 400mg capsule a day (half the dose recommended on the bottle), then a few weeks ago I upped that to two a day.

I also take Vitamin B6 as that's supposed to help with regular cycles and can stop spotting:

Vitamin B6 - one 50mg tablet once a day (with breakfast)

Early days yet, but I think the B6 is helping. (I also take a fairly low dose B Complex tablet which I've taken for years, plus there are B vits in my pre-natal vitamin).

I've also had no problem with my libido, especially these past couple of months :D I don't know if that's the Vitex or one of the other vitamins, but I do think that topping up all your vits must help libido. Certainly, I feel more balanced than I did some months ago. I also try to eat healthily and limit the treats (as much as I can :D). I've read that good nutrition is crucial if you're over 40 and TTC.

I don't know anything about L-Arginine. Not sure if it's in my pre-natal vitamin. I think it's in my partner's vitamins though. Is it good for women too? How much do you take?

Also, I use Pre-Seed to help with insufficient CM. I don't know if it's doing any good, but it's pleasant enough to use and I'm happy with it (although it is expensive).

L-arginine is the main ingredient on FertileCM supplement. I had very little VERY little so I bought it and after taking it a couple of days I saw a difference. It is also good for men. It's good for circulation so it helps with blood flow ;)

The preeseed has really good reviews but its expensive and it just kind of brakes the mood when you go reaching for it, it just didn't work for me.

Hi ladies...joining in here 46 and gearing up for #2. I was on one of these boards with ladies who had their first over 35 with IVF. I was 44 at the time! So here we go. Getting all the blood work checked out again and then on to see what the doc has to say.

L-arginine is the main ingredient on FertileCM supplement. I had very little VERY little so I bought it and after taking it a couple of days I saw a difference. It is also good for men. It's good for circulation so it helps with blood flow ;)

The preeseed has really good reviews but its expensive and it just kind of brakes the mood when you go reaching for it, it just didn't work for me.

Thank you for that, BBbliss. That L-arginine sounds good! My CM is OK but nothing like as good as when I was younger when it was far more predictable and there was plenty. I'm already rattling with all the vitamins I'm taking, but I'm going to see if I can find some L-arginine too :D

I use the Pre-Seed a little in advance so I'm not grabbing for it at the last minute. The applicators aren't exactly sexy so I'd rather deal with that myself a little earlier. I don't use the full amount it recommends either, so that makes a tube last longer. I think the instructions say to use 3g but I use 1 and 1/2 to 2g depending on what I think I need. (Just putting that info there in case it's of use to anyone else).

Hope nobody minds me butting in as I'm 'only' 43 and wtt no2. I have a 19month old we had through IVF. But I had two mc's before then, au naturale. ( long story but got married and a year later an aunt called to ask how things were, kids? etc and asked if we had thought of IVF and I said we couldn't afford it and then she said she wanted to pay for it!! Gobsmacked.. Anywhoo..that's how we ended up with IVF). I got pg on first and only try and stimmed for 16 days.Got 5 eggs and two perfect embryos of which one is my son. Naturally we can't afford another go but we feel that if we don't give it another go we might regret it- so here we are :)

I researched supplements and vitamins/minerals last time so will go on the same cocktail this time including full fat milk and walnuts. Basically, I felt i needed to do anything I could to try to improve my egg quality. We plan to start ttc in February when my son is two and I will be a months short of 44 ;)

I do feel a bit silly sometimes even thinking of it, especially as I had low egg reserve nearly 3 years ago so it'll be even worse now..but you gotta be in it to win it and it only takes one egg, so fx!

I should also add that after my two mc's I had testing done and was found to have an underactive thyroid which is more or less likely to be the reason for my mc's. I had a few blood tests during my pregnancy to check my levels but contrary to current literature (which claims older mums have complications, genetic mutations, pre-term and underweight babies) I had a prefectly healthy (as bloodtest showed) 8.13 pound baby boy 9 days overdue and the most uneventful pregnancy ever - barring the unrelenting heartburn of course, lol!

I wish all you ladies the best of luck and may we all get what our hearts desires

:hug: xxx

ps, If anyone wants to know what I was on pre treatment/ pg I'll be happy to share. I'll be starting the regiment in November as it takes 3 months for an egg to mature so need that time to prime the follicles/ eggs before release :haha:

Hi OMI
I am new on here too..I had my first at 44 and trying for #2 at 46...Can you share your supplement routine? I have been taking what seems to be the CCRM cocktail that lots of ladies have shared....I am also doing acupuncture...

Good luck to you and to all of us trying!

Baby dust!

Omi, yes please share! Dmama, how did you get BFP at 44? I'm 44 in November.

Well, I'm feeling a little defeated this morning. I've been trying since April. All blood EXELENT! Only to find out tubes were bloked. Took care of that with a recent procedure that unblocked one side. One is better then none. Now yesterday I got my DF SA and he has teratozoopermia 100%. Meaning all his sperm is defected. Talk about another road block...

I even had a nightmare last night that a nurse told me we have a 1% chance. I don't know what we are going to try next. I just finished my first round of clomid and should be ovulating by this weekend. I'll have all those eggs getting released and his sperm will MOST likely not be able to fertilize ANY. I feel so sad right now.

Well, I'm feeling a little defeated this morning. I've been trying since April. All blood EXELENT! Only to find out tubes were bloked. Took care of that with a recent procedure that unblocked one side. One is better then none. Now yesterday I got my DF SA and he has teratozoopermia 100%. Meaning all his sperm is defected. Talk about another road block...

I even had a nightmare last night that a nurse told me we have a 1% chance. I don't know what we are going to try next. I just finished my first round of clomid and should be ovulating by this weekend. I'll have all those eggs getting released and his sperm will MOST likely not be able to fertilize ANY. I feel so sad right now.

Oh, BBbliss :( So sorry to hear that news about the SA. Is there anything DF can do about that? Is there some supplement or something he can take? I know it's easy for someone else to say, but don't let it get you down. Try to think of it as just another obstacle to overcome. I find that when you're older and TTC there seems to be so much to overcome, and the pressure of time always weighs heavy too.

When I get down and start thinking negative things like what you imagined in your dream, I try to think of three positive things to say to cheer myself up and get into a more optimistic mindset. For example, something like "I'm still ovulating most months" etc.

Also, I think finding out info is good because it makes you feel more in control.

I hope you feel a little better soon. I know you don't know me but every lady here has my support and sympathy - it's hard TTC when you're that bit older - so I hope you don't mind a hug :hugs:

Hi Omi and dmama :)

Yes please - any supplements, any regimens, any tips would be great :)

I'm taking supplements but I'm nervous about any drugs because there seems to be some disagreement about whether they're good or bad or useless. What I'm worried about is messing up my cycles; somehow reducing or damaging the remaining eggs I have left (I'm 45 and 1/2 approx); thinning my womb lining (I read some drugs can do that); or just somehow messing up the months and years (I hope!) that I have left to try to conceive.

I wish there was something safe and effective to try. I can't afford IVF so that's a definite 'no', but some drugs or some formula that made me more likely to conceive would be fantastic.

Just wondered if any of you ladies had heard of Glow First?

Its an app from Paypal! Yep paypal.

Its a fertility app, what's different is this, they offer you the chance to make a contribution to a fund of $50 a month. You and anyone else who joins at the same time as you, pool into this fund and if any of the couples who haven't conceived in the 10 months they offer an equal share of all the funds paid into the pool towards fertility treatments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->