• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone planning to work until they pop?

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is planning to work really late into pregnancy? I want to, it'd be lovely to have time off earlier but not really a financial option :/ Opinions? xx

I worked up until 37+4 and was booked into be induced at 38 weeks :) so i was in work on the monday and induced on the Thursday. It was tiring and tough going but i had the added benefit of carrying a small baby. I even see people a week before i left and they had not even realised i was pregnant :-(

I am hoping to work as late as possible but I dont think its going to be a reality for me as I feel SO tired! I wish I could start maternity leave right now!
Ive got to take it as far as I can as Im self employed and I think I will start to lose business once I take time off so things will need to pick up slowly when I return to work. I also want to make sure that I have as much time off with baby as I can wangle!! So this means working up until Im nearly due. Perhaps Ill take a couple of weeks - but not decided yet.

xxx

If you are feeling fine then there is no need to stop work early.

I felt fine right through my pregnancy.

I did stop at 37wks as it was the start of the school christmas holidays (would have been silly starting back at 39wks after the hols!) but if it wasnt for the holidays I would maybe have worked til 38.5wks.

Totally agree with time off at other end once baby arrives is so much more important:flower:

I finish when I will be 37 +5, I would have stayed later but I dont drive and I have to get the met to work, which takes about 40 minutes and I have to change mets as well. If it had been winter I would probs work up until the end, but the thought of being sat on a sweaty tram in the middle of August/Sept in rush hour being 9 months pregnant is NOT appealing!

I was meant to finish a week earlier, but I changed my leave date when I realised how bored I will be at home alone for 4 weeks! Now its just 3...... going to be cleaning and cooking up a storm in those 3 weeks! LOL

I am self employed, so can't afford to take much time off at all :dohh: I will be working up till 38.5 weeks and will be returning to work 2 weeks after the birth. Everyone I've spoke to about this (including midwife) seemed horrified by the idea and tell me I won't be able to do it. And my clients which I have booked in before and after the due date, also think I'm being unrealistic. Originally I had intended not to take that 1.5 week before the due date but I'm now starting to worry that I won't be ready for the baby in time if I don't. All in all I think I'll probably just be having a month off in total, not through choice though, I am knackered and want to give up now but I just can't. OH has been making me feel guilty already because we are already feeling the pinch due to me reducing my workload by 1 day a week, so like it or not I just gotta do it

I'm not pregnant but if I am working when I do get pregnant (currently unemployed), I plan on working as late as possible in order to spend as much time with baby as possible after birth.

im 35 weeks and I have another 3 weeks at work then annual leave until my due date. I'm really tired in the afternoons, maybe I'm doing too much but I need the money :(

With my first I worked up until my due date and then had him a week later. The only reason I took that last week off was because my job had me on my feet all the time and I just couldn't do it anymore. With my second I worked until I went into labor, which he was 2 weeks early. I would have worked up to my due date with him when my induction was scheduled had he waited that long. I personally don't understand the women who start thier leave from work a month before thier due date when there is no medical reason for them to do so, that just baffles me.

With my first I worked up until my due date and then had him a week later. The only reason I took that last week off was because my job had me on my feet all the time and I just couldn't do it anymore. With my second I worked until I went into labor, which he was 2 weeks early. I would have worked up to my due date with him when my induction was scheduled had he waited that long. I personally don't understand the women who start thier leave from work a month before thier due date when there is no medical reason for them to do so, that just baffles me.

I guess it just depends on how much time they CAN take off? I know some companies offer much better Mat packages than others, so mums can take more time off and get paid their full wage for it? I am leaving 3 weeks before my EDD purely because I work 45 mins away from home and dont drive, so I have to get 2 trams to and from work, in rush hour so they are always full and I dont fancy being on a squashed, crowded, boiling hot tram for 1 1/2 hours per day right at the end! (Plus I have had blood clots in the past, so standing for prolonged periods of time is a bit of a no-no)

If I was driving I would work until my DD because I just know for those 3 weeks (possibly even 5 if he is 2 weeks late!) I will be so bored! LOL Maybe I will take up knitting?! LOL

I drive an hour each way to & from work.

36 weeks nand serious road rage! Not good for the blood pressure! LOL

working until 38.5 weeks

I don't blame those who take off before thier due date I just don't always understand why, maybe because I didn't. Of course over here in the states mat leave is a joke and we couldn't afford for me to take off much before. With my first I was off a total of 8 weeks, same with my second. Over here your employer is only required to hold your position for 12 weeks anyway unless there is a medically necessary reason for you to be off. I wouldn't want to ride squished on a tram either.

With my first I worked until I was 39+5, but that was 12 years ago n stat mat pay was only for a few weeks so didn't want to waste any before she came unless absolutely necessary. I suffered from PE with both my second and third so didn't have a choice but to finish early, and with this one I'm finishing at 36 weeks, basically cos I'm absolutely knackered! Lol. X

I don't blame those who take off before thier due date I just don't always understand why, maybe because I didn't. Of course over here in the states mat leave is a joke and we couldn't afford for me to take off much before. With my first I was off a total of 8 weeks, same with my second. Over here your employer is only required to hold your position for 12 weeks anyway unless there is a medically necessary reason for you to be off. I wouldn't want to ride squished on a tram either.

Wow thats not very good! 8 weeks must fly with your new baby?! I am planning on having 41 weeks off, 2 of them are holidays and the rest Mat Leave... and you have to pay for medical care too over there dont you? x

A portion of it if your employer provides it. I pay just over $80 every two weeks for the whole family, which we have really good insurance. Our insurance covers 90% of pretty much everything. They also cover all well baby check-ups to 72 months at 100%. With my youngest I paid $100 to my OB and $350 for the hospital stay, which is about $300 less than I paid with my first at a different job.
8 weeks did fly by but honestly I think 41 weeks would drive me nuts. I learned pretty quick that staying at home was not for me. I take a week off for vacation and am ready to go back by day 5. :haha:

I finished work on the 21st Jan and was due on the 8th Feb (had baby on 5th Feb) I took one week a/l and one week mat.

To be honest I could have worked right up until the end. I work in an office and it's only 15min walk from where I live. But mentally I had geared myself up for leaving and it wasn't a nice atmosphere due to announced redundancies so I was glad to get out of there!!

I was lucky though that I coped very well with my pregnancy and had no aches or pains, but if I had, believe me I would have left earlier!!

A portion of it if your employer provides it. I pay just over $80 every two weeks for the whole family, which we have really good insurance. Our insurance covers 90% of pretty much everything. They also cover all well baby check-ups to 72 months at 100%. With my youngest I paid $100 to my OB and $350 for the hospital stay, which is about $300 less than I paid with my first at a different job.
8 weeks did fly by but honestly I think 41 weeks would drive me nuts. I learned pretty quick that staying at home was not for me. I take a week off for vacation and am ready to go back by day 5. :haha:

Ha I dont know how I will take that much time off either! My OH keeps telling me once i finish in 6 weeks, I wont ever need to work again, but I have told him I will go mad if I spend the rest of my life as a stay at home Mum! I am only 27!

But I dont want to come back to the job I am in at the moment, I enjoyed it for the first 12 months but the last 14-15 months have been horrible, the company isnt doing well, but they try to gloss it over with everyone, but because I work in the Accounts Dept, I know what the real story is, so I get all the crap and am constantly having to make excuses and its exhausting! LOL So once I have had baby and OH is earning his big money, I will be able to do a job I really enjoy, and it wont matter too much how much I earn, I used to work with horses and I would love to do that again, I always loved doing that, and the pay is crap but it shouldnt matter too much!

I sometimes think we should have medical insurance in this country, NHS is obviously free and everyone gets it, so it drives me mad when I am waiting for my appointment, and people sit whingeing about having to wait for longer than they expected.... what do they expect when they arent paying?!!?

xx

Well with my job i am takin almost a year of for mat leave , so i will be taking maybe a month or 3 weeks before my due date, mainly just so i can relax and get things sorted for the baby, to get to my work i have to do alot of walking a bus a tram/train etc its a long journy to do when im that heavily pregnant :) especialy im due in feburary so if anyone lives in the uk will know going to work around christmas getting public transport isnt the best idea if can be avoided with the heavy snow etc. :)

Well with my job i am takin almost a year of for mat leave , so i will be taking maybe a month or 3 weeks before my due date, mainly just so i can relax and get things sorted for the baby, to get to my work i have to do alot of walking a bus a tram/train etc its a long journy to do when im that heavily pregnant :) especialy im due in feburary so if anyone lives in the uk will know going to work around christmas getting public transport isnt the best idea if can be avoided with the heavy snow etc. :)

Especially in Manchester! Trams are delayed every day here! LOL where abouts are you in Manchester? x

im in denton but have to get all the way to old trafford everyday! and on saturdays the trams dont work at the momment to old trafford so have to get this buss that takes forever!! lol were are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->