Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

Thanks everyone. I think I'm feeling better overall. I dunno. Some things are better and some are worse. Pregnancy is so bizarre. I went to see an acupuncturist 2 days ago who specializes in prenatal acupuncture. I was afraid to go during my first trimester. I'm not sure if I was being silly to worry, but I just couldn't make myself try a new person until 14 weeks (my normal physio who did acupuncture on me twice won't do pregnant ladies). It helped. She said that the hormone changes were aggravating my existing back problems, and that I was all 'backed up'. Some of the pain is gone now, especially the really bad pain behind my eyes, so I will try to go every week now and see. I don't know If I told you guys that I had back surgery 20 years ago for a herniated disc. It doesn't usually bother me too much, but I think pregnancy is exacerbating the existing problem. I really just worry about what my back is going to be like at 30 weeks... Kiley, it looks like you are the last of us who posts regularly to make it to 12 weeks! It's really nice that everyone is doing so well. :hugs:

Glad you are feeling better Stacey. Hopefully the acupuncturist can help with some of your back pain throughout the rest of your pregnancy. That would be a worry of mine too. Backs are so easy to re-injure.

I am doing well. I apparently got lucky and only really had two bad weeks of nausea. Once week 8 hit it pretty much tapered off. I feel like I am getting more energy back as well. Still battling bloat but now that I am able to eat my healthy foods again, I should be able to control most of that with keeping my sodium intake low. Pretty sure I gained a little from the last 5-6 weeks of terrible eating, but hoping that will taper off and even out now that I am back to eating healthy again. I at least was able to keep up with my morning workouts 5 to 6 days per week. Glad I did not slack there.

No bump yet just bloat, but I started my bump progress pics and thought I'd share. :)

Attachments

• 12 weeks.jpg
    12 weeks.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 6
LOL Kiley. I also have the bloat bump and nothing else :) I'm glad you've been so lucky with morning sickness. When I told my mother-in-law she said that she didn't really understand morning sickness because she didn't have it with either pregnancy. :growlmad: Le sigh. She had two boys. My mother had two girls and did get really sick, so maybe the old wives tale about being sicker with a girl is true. Probably not, but it is an interesting coincidence.

I'm not eating as well as I usually do. Some of the veggies that I used to eat on a regular basis are a 'no go' for the gremlin. I used to eat my greens (kale, chard, etc..) cooked down with onions and garlic, but the gremlin won't eat onions or garlic, so I haven't had many of those, which is a bummer. I'm hoping that eating healthier before the pregnancy will count, and I'm just doing my best at the moment.

Not having enough exercise has been the worst, but I can't play sports and keep a barf bag on the sidelines. It's just not cool. The headaches, back pain, and dizzies have been keeping me away as well. Someone mentioned aquafit earlier in this thread. I start tomorrow and will go twice a week. I don't think it will be enough for me, but I am going to start pushing myself a bit harder during my morning dance classes...at least until I start to feel dizzy. I'm not gaining weight, but I just feel sluggish and out of shape. I'm grumpy about it, but I need to stop focusing on what I can't do and find ways to get back into shape using exercise that I can do.

Hi everyone!

wow - I can't believe how quick things are going for everyone with kiley, stacey, bluefairy in 2nd tri already and jessie, steno & bicyclegodess past half way point and me, jenny, lola (where are you ?) and blingygal in the home straight! (hi everyone I have forgotten :winkwink:)

Like blingy I am feeling tired alot but having trouble sleeping as getting up 2/3 times to wee plus waking up everytime I need to turn around. I guess the nights will only get worse, so good prep!
I saw my midwife yesterday (30w 5d) and everything is measuring fine, fundal height is 32cm and baby's heartbeat great.
She did tell me to put my feet up more as my feet and ankles are quite puffy (we have been having some hot weather which isn't helping) but being at work full-time and having stuff to do when I get home this hasn't been a priority, but now I've been told I suppose I should as she says they will get worse as pregnancy goes on. She wasn't concerned about my weight gain although I certainly am, I have already gained 3 stones and still have 9 weeks left to go! I am one of those poor women who only have to look at a cake recipe to gain weight though.

A couple of weeks ago I went for a pregnancy massage which was full body and lasted an hour. I will go back for another when on mat leave as it was lovely to be pampered and I will make the most of my time off before baby arrives (only 3 weeks left in work -yes!). Have also booked on hypnobirthing classes, active labour and baby know how starting up in May.

Picture was taken at 30w 3 days.

Attachments

• 30 weeks.jpg
    30 weeks.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 3
Stacey- As far as old wives tales go everything was the opposite for my mom. She got sick with her boys but little to no nausea with her girls. And the one about carrying girls high... Nope. She said with both my sister and we were so low she felt like we were going to just fall out of her lol. I am curious about those things too though! I just want to know already! I am finally over my food aversions so now I have no reason to eat bad. I know I gained some weight and it is kinda bothering me. I'm sure it will even out though once I get back to my healthy habits. Hopefully your nausea goes away soon so you can get active again.

Heidi- Good to hear baby is doing great! Sorry about the sleep though. I was wondering how sleeping will be like when I am bigger. I was going to buy a body pillow until I pulled one of the king size pillows off the guest room bed. It is just perfect as a body pillow for me haha! I am only 5 feet so that helps. :) I bet your massage was great! I'll have to keep that in mind for later.

I have a home doppler and I finally found my little one's heat beat! Made me pretty happy to hear it especially since I have been feeling so great lately and sometimes do not feel pregnant. Very reassuring to know baby is still there. Boobs still hurt though! And they are getting huge! Hubby is pretty happy about that haha!

Weekend is almost here! Hope everyone has a great weekend!.

Hello to everyone!

Can't believe time is going to fast....slow at the same time, lol

Hi Heidi, my due date buddy, lol, glad everything is going so well for you. I had a doctors appointment yesturday and my belly measured at 30 cm's instead of 31 :-( so I hope that doesn't mean she stopped growing or there is a problem....it seems like I am always worried about something. Dr. said for now he is not worried about 1 cm. I am hoping it was because it was early in the morning and I didn't have much in my stomach yet...

Oh well I have to wait until next week.

Happy weekend to everyone!

Hi everyone hope you are having a good weekend so far.

Jenny- my bump measured 32 cm which is fine also, just if you drop 2cm below or go above then they like to scan baby to check on growth. Try not to worry you are measuring just fine 😊

Yea I'm sure those old wives tales are nonsense, but they are fun sometimes. :D I tried to do my standard dance warm-up with the students but I ended up feeling out of breath, and I threw up in my office trashcan after class. %$@$#^&Y. Did anyone else still have bad symptoms at 16 weeks? Also does anyone else feel like their heart is racing? My resting heart rate is normally in the 60s... I read that it is normal to be up by 15-20 beats per minute at this point, but yuch. It feels so weird.

Oh! I meant to tell you that you look beautiful Heidi but I forgot!

Thanks Stacey! Can't wait to see some of your bumps on here ladies.
I get the heart racing thing sometimes, can feel my heart go faster for a few or more seconds for no reason. Is that how it is with you?
Sorry to hear you still feel bad, are you usually sick or mostly nauseous?

Kiley, great idea with the pillow! Those pregnancy ones look far too big (expensive too), I would be fighting with it for space in the bed! I could imagine they make you really hot too, especially the ones which look like you're wearing it!

How are all the other ladies doing? It's been a bit quiet on here for a while now.

Blingy, I think you're due first out of our group? How's things going?

Starting on the raspberry leaf tea this week, my mw said to drink it. 1 cup per day for 2 weeks, then 2 cups for next 2 weeks and so on.
Anyone been buying any nice stuff for baby? I was trying to hold out and wait until I'm on leave so I could have some shopping sprees, but have been buying on the internet when I see special offers! ( got a Moses basket & rocking stand for 30% off last weekend - can't resist a bargain!)

Yea that happens too, but mostly the discomfort is that my resting heart rate is in the 80s-90 rather than in the 60s, but I think it's worse after I eat. I had a whole bunch of palpitations today too, but I've had those before so I think it's ok. I was at the OBGyn's yesterday and BP was 118/60 so I guess I'm fine.

I have a small bump now! It just sort of suddenly started sticking out. I don't take pictures much and I've actually NEVER taken a selfie so I probably won't post a bump pic. Not sure if I could figure out how anyway :D

Just had to share one of my shower pics before I get extremely large lol.

This was yesturday and I am 32 weeks 3 days here :)
I tried to upload it as my profile picture but its not working for some reason :-(

Don't mind my roots, lol, I haven't gotten my hair done since I found out I was pregnant ahhhh.

Attachments

• 11187316_10153224905978433_4355902114768906118_o[1].jpg
    11187316_10153224905978433_4355902114768906118_o[1].jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
gorgeous photo Jenny! you look lovely (can't see any roots either!). Did you have a baby shower?

I haven't had any proper pics taken of me, just my bump progression ones done as a selfie. Will have to get OH to take some , this precious time will be over soon otherwise. I am planning on getting a 3D photo taken which they then turn into a figurine of you! should be hilarious to see how massive I look - will do this around 37 weeks (as well as being a great keepsake)

hope everyone is well x

You look Great Jenny! I love your bump!

I had another scan last Wednesday and my doctor is certain we are having a GIRL! :pink: He uses the Nub Theory this early in the game to determine the sex. It apparently is 98.7% accurate on scans between weeks 12-15 (as long as baby is cooperating). We will have confirmation on the 20th at my next appointment. :) Things are going well for me. Feeling good, waiting for my bump. :)

Attachments

• 7w4d.jpg
    7w4d.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7770.jpg
    IMG_7770.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Heidi and Kiely :)

Heidi, Yes it was my shower so my husband took one nice pic of me, lol.
I wanted one nice picture and I am not going to pay for professional ones, lol. How have you been feeling....can you believe we are getting so close yet so far away, lol

Kiley, your bump will come soon, I had the littlest little bump at 5 months and I loved it, lol. Oh and congrats on the pink bump!

Glad to see everyone is doing so well.

I am so excited that I am getting closer.

I have a doctors appointment on Thursday so I hope my bump is measuring properly. My scale is increasing and I do look bigger, lol and she is kicking a ton :)

Great scan pics kiley! And a girl! Congratulations xx you'll see a bump soon, I was 16 weeks when I noticed a proper little bump rather than feeling bloated from Christmas (was 14 weeks Xmas day).

50 days left for us jenny! Definitely feels like its going quicker now.

I am seeing my midwife on Thursday too just for a check up. We also went to the first hypno birthing class last night which seems good, if I'm able to go with all the affirmations and relaxation music we're supposed to do! It does make sense though that by being calm and relaxed your labour will progress well and be easier.

Where are all the other ladies gone? Hope they are doing well and have just been too busy to come on here.

I'm still here! Just tired (pretty sure I said that last time, hahaha).

My doctor signed me off work last week due to swelling and high blood pressure. So I wrapped things up and this week is all about 'me' time. Truth be told, me time has consisted of doctors appts, house related things and a bit of baby prep. I've been awake since 430am and refused to let myself nap today. Fingers crossed that translates into a good sleep tonight. I'm supposed to really limit how much I walk but I'm allowed to swim as much as I want! Go figure. I met up with my frisbee team last night to watch some of their game - I'm so sad I'm not able to play. It made me feel very wistful.

Jenny that is a great pic of you. I haven't taken any pics really, kind of wish I had! Now I'm super swollen and past The cute bump stage.

Heidi I will be interested to know what you think of the hypno classes. I looked into it but never committed in the end.

Kiley yr bump will come sooner than you think! I've found that time flies when pregnant, there's so much to do! You look awesome btw!

Stacey I think aquafit would be way too easy for you right now. I started swimming laps and aquafit at 22 weeks and it seemed silly easy. Not so much now! I'm so grateful for it. Huge load off my back and belly. The water is cool and refreshing, love it. Bc I swim so much I've already had to replace my maternity swimsuit! Seemed silly to replace it so late in the game but I was feeling self conscious!

Anyway, it's night night for me. Off to eat Bon bons! (Only kidding)

Hey guys. So tired. I'm not sleeping well. I think my hormones are interrupting my sleep patterns. I'm fine though...just exhausted. I did start aquafit anyway, even though it is easy. I try to push myself as hard as I can in class. I can get my heart going if I really try. My ultimate team lets me practice and scrim with them. I don't run too fast and I'm careful. It's a bit of extra exercise anyway.

I bought maternity pants today and new bras. It was weird and I don't feel ready, but I am way more comfortable. The lady who fitted my bra took one look at my Victoria's Secret 34C and stifled a laugh. She brought me 38DD and said 'try this hon". Sigh. My bra cups are so big that my husband's face fits into one of them. I must've looked sad because hubby said "aw poor baby".

You all look great. For all the ladies who are further along, keep giving us information. It does help. My OB never tells me anything, so I learn a lot from you all. My mom is a nurse in the NICU but she only knows about post birth issues, not really about pregnancy.

Also, I don't wanna be an onion this week. Onions make me sick right now.

Hi everyone, hope all is well!

I just had my doctor's appointment yesturday and I am still measuring a cm behind on my fundal growth. But I guess that is not terrible news, I must be growing because if I wasn't I would be 3 cms behind by now.

The doctor is also not sure the position of the baby so I will be going for another ultrasound next week to see the baby's position and growth....

I am a bit nervous but hopefully everything is okay....

How did your appointment go Heidi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->