Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

Hi!

I have been having trouble sleeping too, blingy & stacey. Some nights I feel like I just spend all night needing to change position (which wakes me up!). I have also been signed off work this week because of my swollen feet and plantar fasciitis. Feel quite exhausted at the moment. Am looking forward to 'me' time too blingy, although things like housework etc. get in the way and leave me to tired for anything else (was planning on some swimming & maybe yoga once mat leave starts properly).

Stacey - you made me laugh about the bra situation, I think most of us have probably been through similar. When I was about 24 weeks I decided to measure myself for new bras and took measurements a couple of times and checked google to see if I was doing it right. Well, I came out as 40G!!! I started of at 36C and the 36D I had got were seeming a little unsupportive but 40G! so I went to be measured properly at Mothercare and had obviously been way off. She got me as 38D and laughed when I told her I'd been looking for 40G on the rack! I have never bought so many bras in such a short space of time and the nursing bras are yet to come!

Jenny - sounds like everything is fine with you and baby is growing. I envy your extra scans! No more for me since 20 week anatomy scan on the NHS. I sort of wanted to do the 3D one privately but OH didn't want to as finds them a bit freaky!
My baby has been lying obliquely on my right hand side so am hoping he moves soon. Not sure if we get a scan or not to check on positioning closer to d-day.
I didn't see my midwife yet, she cancelled as she was ill and I am waiting for someone to re-arrange as she is now in Mexico getting married for 3 weeks. So much for being 'one to one' midwives!

Heidi...

wow that is crappy about your midwife, I hope you get an appointment soon!

Believe it or not I would prefer not getting an extra scan, lol, I am paro about the radiation or the sound affecting my baby because apparently they are pretty loud for the baby :-(

I think for the next week I am going to try getting on all fours for 10 minutes a few times a day.

Apparently that can encourage baby to move into the right position...

Hey ladies-
Im still around. I still spend a lot of time in the TTC forum even at 26 weeks pregnant! I became attached to a couple of groups there.

I love the bumps- everyone looks so beautiful.

This week has been ROUGH physically. I'm having a lot of pelvic and lower back pain and getting up from a sitting position is awful. i walk like an 80 year old woman. i bought a belly support band and it's been a Godsend. it's got a lot of velcro and straps (so a tiny bit cumbersome) but i can at least walk straight.

I skipped prenatal yoga the last couple of weeks and im thinking i shouldnt have. :dohh:

Have a laugh at my expense bc I am. I was scrolling through my selfie bump pictures and found my early day bump pics or what I call 'the good ol' days'. You know those days when you couldn't wait for yr bump to show and imagining a bump when, really, it's all bloat and constipation?

Exhibit A: 10 week bump. Thoughts at the time: Yes, I think there is a bump there. I'm almost sure of it, my stomach isn't as flat anymore. Or am I trying to push my stomach out? Hmm I should have taken a picture before I got pregnant. That would be the only way to know for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
Exhibit B: 35 week bump. Omg. I can't see my feet. I can't shave my lady parts...or my legs for that matter. Do my boobs really look that big? I had no idea...The idea of putting on pants is exhausting. I should stick to skirts and dresses. Are those rings around my neck from swelling?. Helppppppp!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
jenny - I had no idea baby could hear the ultrasound. I guess if a scan is seen as necessary then the benefits of it outweigh any discomfort to baby.

jessie - your pregnancy seems to be flying along. Not sure if I already said, but congratulations on your baby boy! (noticed on your ticker and wasn't sure how long it was there). Sorry to hear about your pains, I hope the support helps you as long as you need it. I wonder if younger ladies get as many aches etc. as us over 35's seem to suffer!

Blingy - deffo no bump at 10 weeks! you were tiny then. You look beautiful and you don't even seem all that large (I look loads more preggo from the side though, I still look like I have a waist from the front!). Have you took pics each week?

I hear you on trying to keep tidy in the bikini area - last week I realised it had been a while since I was even able to see down there let alone have a tidy up so checked with a mirror and properly gave myself a fright! (thankfully my epilator has a bikini shave attachment which I could just about reach with!) Leg shaving is still ok at the moment but am struggling with putting socks and shoes on (have bought a long shoehorn like a pensioner!) and dreading needing to trim my toenails as I can picture myself rolling around like a walrus trying to get close enough!

I saw a midwife today and will see the same one in 2 weeks when I am 36 weeks. Belly measured 32cm which is less than before as I was always measuring 1cm ahead rather than 1 behind. Not too sure whether different people measuring may result in discrepancies but no worries as still ok measurement. Baby is lying with head on my bladder which explains why I feel like I need a wee everytime I get up and take a fews steps anywhere.

:wave:Hi to everyone else!

Hi Heidi and all you future mommas out there.

Your new measurement give me hope that my baby is growing on target.

I think you are right about different people measuring you differently.

My doctor did say he could have measured me 5 different times and come up with different measurements each time!

Also I think time of the day has something to do with it because of course at the end of the day I am HUGE compared to the morning!

Two more days till my ultrasound.....

Jenny, I think are are right about time of day. I am not as far along as you ladies, but my little baby bump is definitely bigger by evening!

Heidi- Sorry to hear about your sleeping issues. I can't imagine it will get any better with the growing baby bump. :( Your vision of trimming toenails is cracking me up because I can totally picture myself in that position when I am bigger!

Jessie- I have a feeling I am going to have the same issues as you. I am only 15 weeks and get pelvic discomfort every now and then. Will definitely look into getting a support band when the baby bump is larger. I hope it continues to help you.

Blingy- You look great both then and now! I am really trying to eat mostly healthy. I would say I eat about 80% healthy and the rest I let myself give in a little to those cravings.

I will be traveling to visit my older brother and his family tomorrow. Then when I get back on Wednesday, I have another doctor appointment and will get confirmation on the gender! Doc is pretty sure girl, but I think my hubby is holding out hope for a boy. I can't wait to find out for sure so I can start buying clothes and stuff for the nursery!

Quick update, ladies!
I'm in the hospital and was just induced! Unfortunately my blood pressure has really escalated. Baby is doing great though. I should have my little one in a day or two!

And Stacey- Sorry I missed your post! I hear swimming is great for us pregos since it takes all the pressure off your joints. Even though it may feel easy I am sure it is doing more than you think. I broke down this week and started wearing my maternity jeans. I did not want to but I feel soooo much more comfortable! My baby is still super low and my regular jeans were getting uncomfortable where the waist band cut in. The hair tie holding them closed was just not cutting it any more. Standing up I was fine, but sitting down was another story! I am only 5 feet and have a very short torso so I feel like everything is already cramped down there. Can't imagine what it will be like when I am in my third trimester. I too had to buy bigger bras already.... ugh.

Blingy!!! Glad to hear baby is okay! Will be praying for a safe and easy delivery!

Good luck Blingy! You're 38 weeks so I know everything is going to be ok!! Do we know what you are having?

I'm short too Kiley; just under 5'4". That's exactly how I felt about maternity clothes. It wasn't that my regular pants didn't fit exactly, but just that the button pushed in an awkward spot. My baby is really low as well. Don't worry too much about your discomfort yet. I had a ton of hip movement/shifting, and pain at 8-12 weeks. It almost felt like my right hip was dislocated, but then suddenly is went away. Then after that my ribs started aching to the point where I could hardly sit without leaning way back (about 13-17 weeks). Now I have constant muscle spasms under my left rib unless I push on it. It's happening right now. I'm going to ask my acupuncturist if there is anything she can do. Anyway, it seems to me like everything changes from week to week in pregnancy, so maybe a problem that seems worrisome might just suddenly go away. Even my sicknesses keep changing. Oh and I had sciatica too for about a week and then nothing since. I was worried about my back a lot because I had surgery when I was younger but it only hurt right at the beginning of my pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about your hips yet. It might be ok.

Jessie, I spent some time trying to help someone on the TTC forum who has hypothyroidism, which is similar to my thyroid condition. I know you care, but I feel like that forum can suck the life out of you. It's not the issues that they face per say, but the fixation on certain medical problems, either real of imagined, that create irrational thought patterns. I feel guilty sometimes as well because of how easy it was for me, despite the fact that I would have been totally ok if it hadn't happened. The one time I was on TTC it was tough. Enjoy your pregnancy.

Jenny, I'm with you on the ultrasounds. I used to teach science so I understand how waves work, and they are energy. Energy does affect tissue, even though the radiation is low and non-ionizing. You are Canadian as well, so your doc wouldn't do one if he didn't think it was needed. Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks, and I doubt it will take long; it's probably just a quick check. It'll be fine.

I just started feeling the baby kick the day before yesterday! It might be random muscle spasms, but I don't think so.

Thanks Stacey.

I hope this will be the last ultrasound for me, I guess I will find out.

And I definately think you are feeling the baby moving. Thats exactly how it started for me. It felt like a random muscle spasm, lol

Omg blingy! That was unexpected! Hope everything goes well and you have the birth you wanted. Team yellow, but not for long eh? 😉

Hi everyone else!

Quick update, ladies!
I'm in the hospital and was just induced! Unfortunately my blood pressure has really escalated. Baby is doing great though. I should have my little one in a day or two!

OMG Blingy, I totally missed this...ahhhh congrats we can't wait for you to report back with baby news!

I am so happy to report that my ultrasound went great.
My baby is measuring 2218 grams, which is about 4 pounds 14 oz which is almost 5 pounds and I think that is right on target :happydance:

She is also head down bum up....although she may decide to move (I hope not) and my cervix is closed and the placenta is away from the cervix!

She also has a bit of hair, lol.....so cute...I am so over the moon and can't wait for the baby to be here in about 6 weeks. :flower:

Brilliant news Jenny, everything sounds just perfect! (hope you'll stop worrying now!)
How are you getting on with baby prep? like shopping and nursery etc.?

I finished work on Tuesday for 6 weeks annual leave before mat leave which starts on 24th June.
Still need to build the cot , buy the pram and a few other bits. I ordered an oilskin bag in a navy and teal leaf print (a bit Orly Kiely style) from ebay to use a a changing bag which should be here in a couple of days as I'm not too keen on designated change bags (or their price haha). When that comes i will start packing mine and baby's hospital stuff.
Also have a cute tree mural with woodland animals and alphabet letters for the nursery wall whch needs to go up (its sticky back plastic but each part is separate, so it may take a while to get it positioned just right). I upcycled old pine furniture last summer just around ttc time which is now white and spring green with round handles which have multi-coloured buttons on them.

I am waiting for news from blingy! our first to go into labour, so exciting!

Hi Heidi,

Yes, I am relieved for sure, hopefully the rest of the pregnancy is uneventful, lol.

For now we are actually not doing a nursery, this may sound odd but for now my husband will be moving into the spare bedroom. Since he still has to work, we hope that he will be able to sleep through the baby feedings etc...So for now we only have a bassinette in the main bedroom and we will get a crib probably after she is born in a few months, lol.

We only have a two bedroom condo right now so space is not the best but we will make due.

But it sounds like you are well on track! Your nursery sounds very nice and you put a lot of hard work into it :)

I can't believe you are off work soon, yay. And it looks like you get extra time off in the UK. I thought we were spoiled here in Canada getting a year off lol. I will be finished June 6 and will have to return around the same date last year. Boooo....I was hoping to have an extra week of vacation time but I have had to use all of it going to my OB appointments....I honestly don't know how I am going to come back after a year, lol...

And yes, I keep checking everyday for Blingy to update us, hopefully it won't be long!

I hope everyone else is doing well and is prepped for a nice weekend. Here we have an extra day off for Victoria Day :)

Hi ladies,
Well, colour me tickled PINK!!!
Meredith was born on Wednesday may 13 in the evening! I was induced on Tuesday with cervadil but not much happened. They gave me another cervadil on Wednesday morning and still, not much happening. I was 2 cm but not many contractions. Then late afternoon my water finally broke and I went from 2cm to full dilation to delivering Meredith in 2.5 hours. It was crazy! I was begging for an epidural but there was no time. They barely got me into the delivery room and onto the table before I pushed 5-6 times and she was here. The staff really didn't understand that when i said I needed to push, I was ready! It was my doula that made them check me again and they saw I was fully dilated. I felt sooooo good after delivery, it was such a relief, they let me walk back to my room!

I won't go into details but Meredith ended up in the NICU a couple of hours later and she is still there. It was the most traumatic moment of my life and I can't quite talk about it without having a meltdown. She is doing great now, she is breast feeding! Not a ton, she's still learning but she has a good latch. We hope to have her home by Monday. I'm being discharged tomorrow most likely, my high blood pressure has kept me in the hospital which is nice bc I can visit here in the NICU much more easily. Not sure how we will do late night feedings once I no longer have a room at the hospital.

I will write again soon but I just wanted to say that we love our little girl and couldn't be happier. She just so amazing. I will post pics soon.

Wow, congratulations blingy! A little girl (your bump looked boy if old wives tales are anything to go by!) how lovely and lovely name too.
Glad to hear you are both doing well. Hope your bp gets under control soon. Enjoy your gorgeous bundle and update us (&pics) when you can xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->