Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

Jenny: I think the other ladies have given you good advice. I was married in my mid 20s and we were both verbally abusive and the relationship was unhealthy even though (surprisingly) we were very much in love. I blame myself because i wasn't ready to be married and I took it out on my ex. I think had we really tried we could've made it work and learned to be kind and appreciate one another. I simply gave up and left because I hadn't been ready to get married in the first place. We were together almost 6 years total (dating and married). I waited 12 years to remarry, but learned a lot while i was single and had various boyfriends. I learned how my own behavior was contributing to the demise of the relationships I was in. Do you think you can get back to the way things were when you were courting and engaged? You want a solid foundation for the baby to grow on... I'm not pro-divorce by any means, especially when children are involved, but it takes a lot of work to appreciate and be appreciated if you have been together a long time and have started to take each other for granted. You may have to get away for a short while (like Kiley did) in order to get back to the way things were before.

Kiley: Be happy the symptoms haven't started yet. When they do it can be pretty awful!

Blingy: Congrats on passing the Glucose test!!!!

Congrats Bluefairy and BLaze!!! The first trimester was stressful for me too- I looked at the toilet paper every single time I went to the bathroom, thinking i was about to spot. I had painful cramping early on and went to the ER for an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. I drove my husband crazy, thinking we might not see a heartbeat on our 10 week scan. I did not bond with the pregnancy at all until i hit the second trimester. Each step of the way (first ultrasound, first time hearing the heartbeat, genetic testing) has been anxiety ridden and then a huge relief when all turns out well. Try not to google search too much- It gets so much easier and better as the weeks progress!!!!! If the baby is healthy then all will go as planned. There is NOTHING we can do at this point except eat well and rest.

Hi Ladies!

Jenny - Yay for 'V@ day! (This is when you reach 24 weeks and baby is considered viable if born this early- the countdowns to milestones never seems to end!). Really sorry to hear you are going through a tough time time with OH, some of the other ladies on here have given some good advice having been through similar. I hope things can be sorted out soon for you and baby.

Congratulations and welcome blaze & bluefairy! It really will get easier as you see the weeks ticking by and you begin to reach some milestones. I had a tough few weeks early on as I spotted from weeks 4-8 and had US at 6w3days which showed baby was well and had a strong HB.

Stacy - poor you! sounds like you're getting every symptom possible then some just for added fun! I'm sure once you reach 2nd tri you'll start to feel more human!

Hi jessie! hadn't heard from you for a while, hope you are feeling alot better now.

Kiley - not long now for your US on wed. fx'd for you x

Afm - nothing to report really, feeling ok, no new symptoms - I guess no news is good news, right?

Hi Ladies! How's everyone doing?

StaceyM - those cramps sound AWFUL! I hope it gets better for you. I had some nasty cramps due to constipation for awhile but it got better. Sometimes I would double over in pain just trying to get to the bathroom.

AFM, nothing to report here. Today is 28 WEEKS! Holy cow, it's starting to go more quickly. I'm working on the nursery colour scheme. I vowed I wouldn't be one of those crazy, over the top moms who spends lots of time decorating but I'm kind of heading in that direction.

One other thing, is anyone else having trouble concentrating at work? I'm super daydreamy lately...

Thank everyone for the support.

I don't want to make this thread about me but just another incident happened today that gives you an idea of the unpredictable outbursts.

He is sick and needed Klennex so I bought him a box, however it was two ply and he reacted by calling me ******** and I should know that we always buy three ply and not two ply and I never pay attention.

So something as simple as buying the wrong Tissue caused a scene and I went off in tears because I am so emotional from being sick myself etc.

Hope everyone else is good!

I just hope this is not affecting my baby I love her so much.

I've had to stop playing sports because I've been too sick. :growlmad: I'm 9 weeks now. I think I'm feeling a bit better, but it's hard to tell. I guess I can't play as hard as I used to...My husband wants me to start walking. God. Walking. That makes me feel like an old lady.

Jenny- Are you sure your husband isn't the one who is pregnant? I know, I know, I shouldn't joke, but unless he is, he should be saying thank you that you went to pick the tissue up for him. He can live with 2-ply. Please.

Blingy - You are almost done. Can we switch? Pretty please? :nope:

Thanks for the sympathy Heidi and Blingy. It makes me feel better.

Kiley, Blue, Blaze - How are you all doing? Dish, girls, dish!

Jenny- Are you sure your husband isn't the one who is pregnant? I know, I know, I shouldn't joke, but unless he is, he should be saying thank you that you went to pick the tissue up for him. He can live with 2-ply. Please.

LOL thank you for this this made me smile, lol...Yes I think you are right he is still in the infant stage sometimes I think!

Hi ladies! Sorry it has been a while for my update! I have been swamped at work and then when I get home I don't want to do anything at all.

Blingy- I am with you on the not being able to concentrate at work. And I am only 7 weeks!

Jenny- Sorry your husband is still being a j*rk... Does he have a stressful job and maybe takes his stress out on you?

Stacy- ugh, I will hate when the only thing I can do is walk!

I am 7 weeks + 2 days today. Doc appt went very well. Doc says everything looks perfect. Even got to hear the heartbeat! It was amazing. Doc gave me a due date of October 31st. :) I go back for another scan on April 1st. I will be 9w+4 at that one. Still nervous and excited for it at the same time. I attached a pic of my little gummy bear for you. :)

Well, the nausea hit last Monday after my workout and Tuesday I had it during my workout and after all the way until 2:30pm. I work out at 5am every morning during the week and normally do not eat before I work out so on Wednesday I tried eating a little before my workout. That helped a lot and by the end of my workout I was feeling much better. My doc then suggested I drink a protein shake immediately upon waking with my slice of toast and that did the trick! No nausea! Missed my workout today because were were out late last night for a concert and oh I am feeling it today. I got enough sleep, however I am feeling nauseous today. I am convinced its because I did not workout and did not have my morning protein shake. I guess this is definitely incentive for me to keep working out first thing in the morning!! And no more going to bed late! I am totally regretting it and it is only 11am! Today is going to be a long day. Might have to skip out on work early.

Food aversions seem to be starting as well. Things now seem a little bit spicier than normal and foods that I normally like and crave, I just do not want anymore. The last two years, being healthy has been easy for me, but now I really have to fight with myself to eat healthy. I am not even craving anything specific. I just don't want what I have been used to eating for the past two years! I am not doing too terribly though. Still counting my calories so I can keep tabs on what I am eating and have not gained any weight yet.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Attachments

• 6w+4.jpg
    6w+4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes he has a lot of pressure at work but I don't think that is the root cause of his anger issues, I think it more about control etc.

Anyways I am trying to manage it.

Just getting off of a horrible cold blah, lost two pounds over the weekend and I worry about my little baby growing.

I hope everyone else is doing well and at least the weather is getting a bit better now.

Hi how is everyone doing?

Kiley - beautiful scan pic! And well done re those 5am workouts! Makes me feel so lazy. Every night i have good intentions to hit the gym and then just end up slobbing on the sofa.

7w4d today and feeling good. Which worries me! Slightly sore boobs, tiredness and a bit of dizziness/sea sickness but definitely not what i would class as nausea. Have a scan booked for tomorrow evening and feeling very nervous.

Thanks Blue! Good luck with your scan! I was nervous as well for my first scan but was immediately relieved when I saw my little bean on the screen. I saw my bean even before the doc pointed him/her out. And then I heard the heartbeat and was even more relieved.

All day nausea is in full force this week. :( Missed my workout this morning it was so bad. All I can eat is Lipton Noodle Soup and ice chips. Ugh... Why did I wish for these symptoms!? Praying they go away soon. Its horrible and gets worse if I let my stomach get empty, but what makes it tough is that nothing sounds good to me. The thought of most foods make me want to vomit right now. Even just talking about eating makes my stomach upset.

Wow it seems like everyone is progressing nicely on this thread :hugs:

I am happy to be finally in the double digits, less than 100 days to go now!

I am so anxious to meet her but don't want the days to pass so quickly.

Hope everyone is doing well also!

Yep. I think I remember telling you that when you got the symptoms you would look back at wanting them and laugh/cry. I'm looking at you Kylie :winkwink:

I'm not a gym girl, but I play sports (mostly ultimate frisbee) and I teach a dance class in the morning (I teach dance and drama at a high school). I haven't made the last three games, and I struggle through my morning dance class. I have no idea how you get up at 5am. I can't even get up that early when I'm not pregnant...but I am a night owl I suppose. Working out does give you more energy and fends off the sickness in some ways, but it makes it worse in other ways, which is hard to explain and weird, but true. I also have to wear a tight sports bra and another couple of chest hugging shirts just to avoid the pain while running/jumping. Sometimes I think I'm just getting worn out because I've been sick since week 4. I have never really obsessed about my weight...I just really love dancing and ultimate so I miss it.

I don't know if this will help Kiley (and other girls just newly pregnant), but I find that fruit is the easiest thing for me to eat. Strawberries (and other berries) go down really well, and they have a high water content so it is helping me stay hydrated. They have fibre too which seemed to help my stomach cramps. I used to drink a ton of water, but I am having trouble getting it down lately.... It's the same for me Kylie - If my stomach gets empty I am so sick, but if I fill it too much I get sick too...which is the problem with water I think. I like soup too but I can't eat food additives because of my thyroid, and most soups have msg/other additives. Wolfgang Puck makes a nice line of organic soups with all whole foods. They have chicken noodle. It's pretty good.

Don't worry about your weight Jenny. I lost 10 pounds the first month I was pregnant (weeks 2-6). My baby is growing normally. I have a thyroid issue which makes weight changes worse, and I was still ok, so you should be too. I think I have gained a bit of it back since then. I hate weighing myself because I try not to obsess about stuff like that, but when the doctor told me my weight had gone down so much, I worried. I guess it's hard not to worry while we are pregnant. I find it hilarious that I am trying NOT to lose weight. LOL. When will THAT ever happen again.

All of you ladies have such early scans! Maybe it is an American thing. My first official meeting with the ObGyn and my first scan isn't for almost 2 weeks, and I will be 12 weeks then. My doctor accidentally sent me too early to genetics so I ended up with an 8 week scan, but only because he got the dates confused :)

Hi ladies! Good to hear how everyone is doing.

Happy 6 months to me and jennybean for today! Time is flying by, I have just 8 more weeks left in work before I take maternity leave!
Must feel even quicker for you blingygal (29 weeks now?)

Kiley - lovely scan picture! glad to hear all is well, you'll be astounded in the scan difference when you go for your next one (is it at 12 weeks? in UK we get scans at different times and less of them than the USA ladies). My sickness was like yours, too much or little food and I felt nauseaous, but no major aversions just massive indecisiveness - I found it hard to chose what I wanted but needed to eat there and then to stop feeling awful (I was getting dizzy with low blood sugar too).

Hi stacy, bluefairy, blaze, jessie, pansorie and what's happened to lola and steno? (hi to anyone else I've missed!)

Yay Heidi, happy 6 months to you as well!! :happydance:

Don't you love to see the ticker going up as we progress!!

One more week and off to the third trimester, I am so happy to have made it this far, yay!

Happy 6 months ladies! I feel like its going to be forever before I get there!

Heidi my next ultrasound is on April 1st. I'll be 9w+4 at that one. I do not really know what the standard is at my doctor's office but I am thinking he wants to keep an eye on me since this is my first and I am over 35. Also about 5 years ago I had a couple procedures on my cervix because they found pre-cancer cells, so that could be another reason.

Good news! Today my nausea is considerably better. I started taking 100mg of Vitamin B6 on Tuesday so maybe that is what is helping. Hoping to get back to my workout routine tomorrow.

Stacey- thank goodness I can still eat fruit. I loved fruit even before pregnancy so I am happy that taste has not changed yet. And normally I am like you and try stay away from anything processed with additives, but unfortunately, that is all that seems to appeal to me right now. I seem to be reverting back to my childhood years... the thought of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is really appealing to me right now so I think I'll try that for lunch. lol! I also do not want anything to do with meat so I am trying to get my protein elsewhere. This is definitely a learning experience! And my likes and dislikes changing all the time is really starting to confuse my husband!

Ohhh yay! Lots of posts to catch up on!

KileyJean - I love your scan pic, it's a little jellybean, too cute! Just wait until your next scan and you see the difference in size/development, it's amazing! I had a scan around 8 weeks then 12 weeks, HUGE difference.

Bluefairy - it sounds like you definitely have morning sickness but it's just a bit more mild. I had morning sickness, I've never throw up from it, but it involved a motion sickness feeling, watery mouth, throat tightening and general all-day miserableness. I wasn't very productive in those weeks!

Stacey - I play ultimate too, I love it SO MUCH! Currently, my team is organizing themselves for the upcoming season, I'm getting all the emails and I feel a little bit sad that I won't be joining them. We've been playing together for about 4 years. I'm wondering if I will be ready to play in Fall - I have no idea if that's realistic. I will say I'm enjoying swimming laps and doing aquafit 4 times a week - the moment I enter the water, my belly goes 'ahhhhhh, I'm lighter!' and it feels so good to have some of the pressure off. Prenatal yoga has also been surprisingly good and helpful! Plus I'm loving being in a room full of preggos - we get lots of discussion time.

Jenny - I noticed yesterday that your ticker was at 99 days! Congrats! That was a big mental milestone for me, for some reason.

Heidipie - How did you decide when to stop working? I'm thinking I may stop at 36 weeks. I haven't discussed it with my OBGYN, I have no idea if I need an 'excuse' to get a note from him or if he'll just take my cue if I say that I'm done working. I have tons of general illness that I can use; in Canada, we're allowed to use general illness before the birth and then once the baby is born, we officially start our year of maternity leave.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty good still - no sciatica or major aches/pains! Minimal discomfort, just some ligament pains sometimes but going on a long walk seems to help a TON with making those pains go away. I may need to buy a special pillow for my belly soon - I'm a side sleeper and my belly is making me tip over too far sometimes. I don't like the feeling of having extra pressure on the belly so I need something to prop my belly up.

I'm starting realize I don't know anything about labour or what my pain management options are....I should probably look into some classes! :haha:

Blingy, I have 6 weeks annual leave to take before my years maternity leave starts as we still accrue it while off (I work in the nhs). I think I will be glad to go off early as I went to go yesterday and had my sore feet diagnosed as plantar fasciitis ( been aching for about 4 weeks now)

Gosh, all you ladies are keeping really active! Well done, just really walking the dog every day got a prenatal Pilates dvd before I got pregnant but haven't touched it!

KileyJean - Trust me I felt the exactly the same way you do, I still have a long way to go, lol...don't worry you will get there too!:winkwink:

BlingyGal - Under a 100 days was a big milestone for me, and like you I am not sure why, I guess we all have to cling on these milestones! And wow, 29 weeks for you you get getting closer and closer, lol...Some classes may be good but I think I am going to try to watch Youtube videos first, lol...So you will have to let me know if you do start taking classes and how they are!

Heidipie....I am SOOOO jealous that you have that much time vacation to take before your mat leave, you are super lucky! I have been eating up my sick/vacation days for the routine doctors appointments and random colds and stuff....Oh well I may have 2 days left when its all said and done, lol...

It's my first pregnancy ever - conceived after 4 months of trying- ended up with the BOGO twins and found out at about 9.5 wks that it was twins. Total shock. We'd had a positive home pregnancy test on Jan 9th.

We announced to friends and family after our second appt and 3rd ultrasound on March 3rd.

We are now at day 105.

Second trimester is much better than first. Developing a small twin belly.

Made it thru three ultrasounds.

Did the genetic screening/ nuchal scan which said we had the risk factors of a 20 YO. So opted against amnio or cvs since there's double the risk or more even of miscarriage with twins.

Our next appt is April 13th- the 2 hour ultrasound - one hour per baby. With anatomy scan.

We are planning to have the technician write the genders on a piece of paper and then go for a picnic on our local park volcano and open it in private together.

We are planning to announce the genders to our family on May 1.

We wanted to keep something to ourselves for a while.

We have hired a twin expert doula and found an awesome OB with Kaiser in Portland who is pro vaginal birth and had twins herself.

So far so good. I will be about 2 mos past my 39th birthday when I deliver.

Hopefully it all works out and this can be our first and last pregnancy. :thumbup:

https://lbdf.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/Bnnhyzk.jpghttps://lbdf.lilypie.com/Bnnhm7.png

bicycleg- so awesome to read that you got pregnant easily and with healthy twins at that!!! I love your gender reveal plan. Look forward to hearing more about your journey.

JennyBean: congrats on officially only having double digits remaining! I hope all is getting better on the homefront.

Kiley: How you feeling?

Heidi: So jealous of your time off! I'm trying to work as much as possible until at least a month before baby gets here so that i can take off about 6 months to care for him/her. Hubby and i are going to be moving halfway across the country so i'm quitting work and will be looking for a new job once the baby is around 5-6 months old. It will be tough not having the second income but we'll manage.

Stacey: I've seriously eaten more fruit and soup in these last few months than i have over my entire lifetime. Can't get enough. You're right- it's all the water in both. I can't stay hydrated enough and i'm constantly drinking water or juice. I dilute my juice with a lot of water because it's so sugary/high calorie. I've luckily only gained 5 or 6 lbs total and i'm now 19 weeks.

Blingy: Pics of your nursery!!!!

I've been slowly starting to register for baby items on amazon and I'm overwhelmed with the options and the reviews.
I have my 20 week anatomy scan on Thursday and I think we're going to find out the baby's gender! We weren't going to, but swear we've seen a penis on our last two ultrasounds so we're going to find out if we're correct. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->