Anyone seen one of the links promoted on the homepage yet?

For those who haven't seen further into what the book suggests, they also advertize a sleep cocktail of baby tylenol, advil, and benadryl. I can't believe that this is making it to the shelves without them losing their license to practice pediatrics for giving blanket medication advice against the recommendations of the manufacturers.

This is just awful!!!
Babies aren't always hungry, many times they are thirsty. Having the thirst feeling and it not being quenched is awful and to be left with hunger pains is even worse! Giving them water before 6 months is not safe and they require that breastmilk or formula to rid them of their thirst/hunger.

I feed on demand 100%. Why?

Because babies are little HUMANS!!! They will have their own schedules, their own hunger/thirst needs, their own everything. Babies are not meant to fit into our schedules.

I have been advised by 2 doctors and a pharmacist to give my son water between feeds.....I don't think they would tell me to do something that isn't safe!

I have been advised by 2 doctors and a pharmacist to give my son water between feeds.....I don't think they would tell me to do something that isn't safe!

As you can see by the article, doctors don't always give the most up-to-date advice. :)

I'm not sure where you live but Health Canada, The World Health Organization and American Academy of Paediatrics all advise against giving water to babies under 6 months (the exception being formula fed babies in extremely hot weather - and that's meant as a short-term solution). Giving water on a regular basis can interfere with milk intake (which is a bad thing, though you seem to be using it for that purpose...) and absorption of nutrients. Too much water is also quite dangerous for young babies.

Actually I use it to help with constipation, why would I deliberately interfere with my baby's milk intake. You lot seem to forget that everyone has a different way of parenting, I have not said that you guys are wrong in what you are saying, just sharing my experience which is what this forum is for.

You initially said you gave water in case he was thirsty. Babies that age can't really differentiate between hunger/thirst which is why you're supposed to offer milk regardless. So yeah, in that case, you would be interfering with milk intake (perhaps inadvertently). Though it appears as though you've changed your story now so who knows.

Of course everyone parents differently, I was just trying to point out why several health organizations advise against what you're doing (or originally said you were doing). Sharing information is another perk of forums.

Incredibly cruel to do this to a newborn. Imagine being hungry / starving and nobody is feeding you or giving you water instead and not being able to do anything about it simply so they can get more sleep or it's not convenient to feed you.

I can't understand how fulfilling a baby's needs couldn't 'work' for anybody!

After 3 months of waking up several times during the night and being properly up every morning by 4.30am my LO seems to have decided for herself that she wants to sleep through (thank god!!!) and for the last few days has Been sleeping 6pm- 5am.

It would have been amazingly wonderful for her to do this at 1 week but I never would have expected it and can't imagine begrudging my child eating because shes upsetting my routine.

The idea that you can train such a young baby is foreign to me they eat little and often because they have teeny bellies but need enough energy to double their weight in a small window of time as well as learn new things every day.

These doctors need to stop giving such poor advice.

“Just because they’re crying doesn’t necessarily mean that they are hungry. Crying is a baby’s way to communicate with us.”

Read more: Report: Feeding Method Helps Newborns Sleep Through Night - Momtastic https://www.momtastic.com/parenting...s-newborns-sleep-through-night/#ixzz3AxVGKESy
Follow us: @itsmomtastic on Twitter | itsmomtastic on Facebook

That quote particularly seemed ridiculous to me. Yes, obviously babies will cry as a way of communication, but I'd say a good reason many of the babies being forced to wait to be fed is due to be hungry/thirsty!

And honestly, 1 week of sleep deprivation calls for drastic measures? Isn't sleep deprivation pretty standard for the course with a newborn???

I think 3-4 hours sleep nightly is pretty damn good for parents of a newborn!! I think those first few days i had 3-4 hours per WEEK!

I think 3-4 hours sleep nightly is pretty damn good for parents of a newborn!! I think those first few days i had 3-4 hours per WEEK!

Yup! Up till 8 weeks my LO had a bottle every 2 hours without fail and took upto an hour to settle after the feed. I was basically a zombie but hey ho that's what she needed to get big and strong.

Ohhh boohoo, poor "babies" going a week without much sleep! :rolleyes:

Good thing they resorted to being selfish smucks - whatever it takes to cope!

We all have our limitations! Lol.

For those who haven't seen further into what the book suggests, they also advertize a sleep cocktail of baby tylenol, advil, and benadryl. I can't believe that this is making it to the shelves without them losing their license to practice pediatrics for giving blanket medication advice against the recommendations of the manufacturers.

OMG is that true??! How awful :(

No bloody wonder they start sleeping longer :wacko:

I can see both sides of the coin here ladies and I think some people might be jumping on this a bit too quickly and harshly.
I totally agree that a newborn should be fed on demand and that complaining about a week of only getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night when you're new parents is totally absurd!
However, the stretching out time between feeds is actually nothing new; the baby whisperer suggests doing this at 4 months old and many parents try to get their babies into a 3/4 hour rountine and it works well for them. (Obviously this is usually for babies of over 3/4 months old).
Also, the quote about crying being a form of communication is a fair point I think (again not talking about babies only weeks old) as I know parents who feed their babies every time they cry and I have personally witnessed little babies who are so obviously overtired being given a bottle and 'fed to sleep' which really only creates problems, including digestive issues and sleep associations, plus overfeeding can be problematic for ff babies.
Plus, at no point did it say that they advise leaving your newborn screaming for hours at night. In fact, the way I interpreted it was that the baby would hopefully naturally go longer at night by gradually stretching the feeds by 15 minutes each day (I personally think this is too quick and not gradually enough) but they don't report on what to do in the night.
Anyway, my point is that until I've read the book, I won't be judging the Jassey brothers too harshly as the information in the acrticle is written by a journalist and is extremely limited. Has anyone actually read the book?!

I had about 2 hours sleep in the first week when my son was born and still managed to function your body is amazing at coping with very little sleep. I don't understand how people have babies and expect to sleep the same as they did before in as little as a week. Luckily my baby settled in the night quickly and by about 3 or 4 weeks was going 3-4 hours at night and 6-7 hours at about 6 weeks but if he woke I fed him it was obviously hunger waking him. I was advised to try and feed him more during the day to fill him up so he could go longer at night by my health visitor

I'm honestly getting tired of hearing how awful it is for parents to try and have some control over their family life. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get SOME sleep at night. I don't see why I have to be a nervous wreck just because my baby is deciding how my days and nights should go. Babies (even newborns) cry not just because they're hungry but because they are TIRED and are still too young to realize they should just go to sleep if they're tired. They need us to help them learn to settle just like they need our help for everything else.

I did moderate sleep training with both of my babies and once they started sleeping through they were HAPPY. They smiled more, were calmer and even ate better. Before sleeping through they cried ALL day. It was truly terrible. I thought I was going mental.

I don't advocate one particular way of sleep-training (I personally wouldn't leave a baby screaming for long periods of time nor give them anything to induce sleep) but neither do I blame parents for wanting to get sleep for themselves. Parents wanting to take care of their own needs is NOT selfish. It's not like there are the too extremes: be willing to kill yourself to take care of baby or totally neglect baby and live like a queen. There is middle ground. I give up a lot for my children and will take care of them in the middle of the night if need be but if I can make sure they have good sleeping habits so I can be more rested and cheerful in the morning then I will.

I can see both sides of the coin here ladies and I think some people might be jumping on this a bit too quickly and harshly.
I totally agree that a newborn should be fed on demand and that complaining about a week of only getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night when you're new parents is totally absurd!
However, the stretching out time between feeds is actually nothing new; the baby whisperer suggests doing this at 4 months old and many parents try to get their babies into a 3/4 hour rountine and it works well for them. (Obviously this is usually for babies of over 3/4 months old).
Also, the quote about crying being a form of communication is a fair point I think (again not talking about babies only weeks old) as I know parents who feed their babies every time they cry and I have personally witnessed little babies who are so obviously overtired being given a bottle and 'fed to sleep' which really only creates problems, including digestive issues and sleep associations, plus overfeeding can be problematic for ff babies.
Plus, at no point did it say that they advise leaving your newborn screaming for hours at night. In fact, the way I interpreted it was that the baby would hopefully naturally go longer at night by gradually stretching the feeds by 15 minutes each day (I personally think this is too quick and not gradually enough) but they don't report on what to do in the night.
Anyway, my point is that until I've read the book, I won't be judging the Jassey brothers too harshly as the information in the acrticle is written by a journalist and is extremely limited. Has anyone actually read the book?!

2 hourly wakings with a newborn is pretty much the norm! I can't believe that actually works. My 10 month old still wakes at night for a feeding. I've tried and tried to make him wait until at least 6am but the result is he just keeps moaning until I finally go in. I can't see how a newborn would react better than a 10 month old. Plus, how do they know they don't just have a good sleeper? My eldest was sleeping through the night from a few weeks old!

I'd love it if my DD slept for 3-4 hourly blocks at night, instead she sleep for 1 1/2-2 hours haha

I certainly wouldn't try this method! Plus, if she doesn't get fed when she is hungry, she is like an angry bear being poked with a stick :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->