Applying for jobs while pregnant and maternity leave length

LostandFound

Reaction score
So, my dream job has become available and I'll be about 16 weeks when they do interviews. If i got the job, I suspect I could work about 5 months and then would need maternity leave.

Would you guys still go ahead and apply? I know I'm not legally required to disclose a pregnancy in the UK but i do still feel weird not disclosing it.

Also, for UK ladies, did you take the whole maternity leave? Last time i took about 10 months off but would consider going back a bit sooner to a job like this....

Would love any insights. I've been self-employed for 7 years so don't have any experience in this sort of thing.

Hi Hun, I was made redundant when I was pregnant with my son. Found myself job hunting at 12 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure if it's changed now but back then I legally had to tell my employer at 15 weeks. But it was met with a very frosty reception and the company were very annoyed at me. Basically as although legally I was allowed to hide it the company had a risk assessment they do when a member of staff is pregnant. Also as I hadn't worked for the company long I was only intitled to 6 months leave and no maternity pay from them. Had to claim for statutory maternity pay which was a massive amount less. Although I was just happy to have a job . I'd maybe pop into citezens advice buereu, they are great at giving advice on things like this. Good luck!

I know you're not legally allowed to disclose it but I wouldn't tell them at the interviews but if they offered you the job I'd discuss it with them and let them know you're open to coming back early from maternity leave too and don't plan to take the whole thing...if not I think you're news of pregnancy will not be welcomed when you told them and although they can't fire you they can make you redundant or depending on how long probation is...still say you didn't meet the requirements. ..i think whilst the law is on our side there's a lot of respect from employers for women who are upfront about their situation and their future plans etc....i left my employer after1 yr maternity leave because we moved to beBedford and the commute to London would have been impossible with childcare etc...when a vacancy became available they called me and I said we're trying for a baby and I wouldn't want to start only to leave in a few.months. They appreciated that and said if I ever need a job to let them know and they will see how to work things out. ..i think I've gained more in the long run and not burned any bridges. Hope that helps xxxx

Just regarding maternity pay - statutory and maternity allowance is the same, so as you have been self-employed, even if you couldn't get SMP, you would get MA based on your self employment and that is exactly the same amount. The only way you would get more is if the company offered a better renumeration package. As you are self employed at the moment, even if you got the job and were not entitled to the company package you wouldn't be any worse off.

Thanks everyone! I'll do some more research. My thinking at the moment is to tell them if I'm offered the job, and let them know I'd be open to come back early. I'd be happy to have the job though and am less worried about the maternity pay, as I'd expected only MA being self-employed anyway. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->