April Munchkins 2013- enjoying our wonderful babies!

I just think its insanity for anyone to force feed their child, no matter what age, but especially so young!! There is a reason that boobs provide milk and not a roast dinner!!

My SIL thinks that giving her 1 yr old porridge before bed will help him sleep. We see him twice a week at bed time, and he NEVER eats it. Yet she makes it every night for him, and it's clear he doesn't want it! People get some weird ideas about things...

I think the reason things like this end up happening, is because either a doctor recommended it, or they read it in a parenting magazine etc. that these things can sometimes help, and a parent desperate for sleep is going to try whatever they can!

I know a few people who do the porridge/wet cereal before naps etc. to help their lo's sleep better, and when actually enjoy eating it, it does seem to help make a difference. If you lo doesn't want to eat it though, it's counter productive I would think to stress them out before trying to put them to bed! :dohh:

I think you're right about it helping at times. The reason they started doing it was because my nephew didn't sleep well at all, and they thought he was hungry, so it's a natural solve to the problem. But now he sleeps great, i guess its just a habit they have gotten into. I can't help but feel its such a waste of money though!

I'm sure I'll be trying anything in 7 months when my baby won't sleep! I dread to think of the things I'll try that I would scoff at normally :haha:

Well I have had Two kids my daughter was a terrible sleeper and we tried the porridge before bed method on advice from family and honestly it made her worse. the food woke her up and didnt help her sleep anymore than milk did. All it done was introduce extra calories to her diet that she didn't really need which is bad in the long run. like I said before there are studies which show solids before bed are no more helpful than milk. My son slept every night at 6pm so I had no issues with him. The only difference is that he had a dummy so when my daughter would comfort feed to sleep my son would have his dummy. sonetimes being too full can kept them awake too.
I PERSONALLY dont think it helps any better anyway but if it works for your kid then great. I prefer not to wean until my kid needs more. Or grows in teeth.

11 weeks is definately too young. And not to sound rude but if you cant handle a baby that cries at night then thats pretty bad. If you have to feed your baby food to make it sleep then perhaps that parent needs help and support. Not aiming that at anyone. Im just saying.

11 weeks is definately too young. And not to sound rude but if you cant handle a baby that cries at night then thats pretty bad. If you have to feed your baby food to make it sleep then perhaps that parent needs help and support. Not aiming that at anyone. Im just saying.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that weening at 11 weeks is awfully quick. I do think it's rather judgemental though to say that a parent who is hallucinating from lack of sleep because their baby won't sleep is a bad parent, or that if they feed their baby cereal on a doctors recommendation before bed that they're a bad parent.

Force feeding your children is certainly a terrible idea, and I don't think anyone is advocating for that either. It's possible to find studies that prove just about anything under the sun, for both sides of a question. I think the important thing is to do what works for you and baby. And that might not be the same as what works for someone else. That's why this forum is so great--because you can get a variety of opinions and suggestions of things that have been successful for different people.

did I ever say anywhere that they were bad parents? no I did not. Nor would I. what I said was, that if a parent is struggling and has to feed their baby in order to get sleep then they need support and help.

I was 17 when I had my daughter and 21 when I had my son, their father walked out on me when I was 3 months pregnant so I raised my son and my toddler alone and yes I had nights where I was so exhausted I saw snow vision and got extremely fed up, wishing my child would sleep. But it is not a child's fault that they wake up and have needs, such as wet nappies or hunger. It is the parents job to meet the needs of a baby. So yeah maybe I am a bit judgmental, I didn't mean to sound or come across that way, but it's only because of the struggle I faced personally when I had my babies. Luckily now I have a great guy to support me and the kids. What I mean is, a baby should not suffer or be forced to sleep or eat because the parent is suffering. If a parent is struggling the parent should get help.

some babies eat on doctors recommendation and thats fine, my friend baby was sick when she was born and ate baby rice with breast milk to put on weight. I am talking about mothers who feed babies food when they dont need or want it. Just because it makes their own lifes easier.

ukgirl: I'm sorry you had a rough go of it the first two times, and hopefully we'll all have the support we need from our OH's and family and friends! :flower:

I'm personally a big fan of the old saying that it takes a village to raise a child. I think because society is so individual centered today that women find it offensive to think that they need assistance from someone else to raise *their* baby. When in reality that's the way is used to be done, and it was considered completely normal! I hope to God I won't end up being one of those mothers who is too paranoid to let other people hold my lo and allow family to offer to babysit etc. I know that not everyone has those shoulders to lean on, but I do and I'm very grateful for it. I just hope when the times comes to do it I won't be so baby-brained that I turn it away.

thanks readytomum. :)

I agree that good help should never be turned down :p when help is offered or needed it's good to be able to accept it.

hey everyone,

Im sorry I dont come on here often, however I look after DD in the day and work evenings and weekends so im lucky to get on here!!

I love the scan pics and bumps already - if I wasnt pregnant it would be making me broody!!

Sorry to hear so many of you are suffering with MS :(

I had red bleeding heavy like a period at 6 weeks and had to go to hospital, the bleeding tapered off and ive continued to have scans which show a sac of blood outside the baby - started spotting again Saturday which sucks :( got my dating scan on Thursday =)

Speaking of weight gain aswell.....ive put on 5lbs!!! 5lbs!!!!!!!! I put on 16lbs throughout the whole of my pregnancy so I think ill be alot bigger this time! Already have little stretch marks on my boobs aswell (to be fair I reckon thats half of the weight gain!!)

Hope your all well xxxxxxx

ohhh to add aswell - Roxy (my dd) was weaned at 4 months - recommendation from docs due to reflux. Baby rice and banana porridge. Shes now 2 and eats every fruit and vegetable under the sun and will try anything that's put in front of her - weaning early upons docs advice is not a bad thing (well it wasnt for Rox) - people who force their children to eat before they are ready or for their own benefit are just a bit silly - but its up to them I suppose :) xxx

oooh, I just checked out my local council and they are giving parents £30.00 cash back if you buy cloth nappies from their suppliers, you have to do a minimum spend of £45 but I think its worth it. Look on your councils website to check if you get the same in your area, the suppliers they listed had all the top brands :D xx

Hi ladies!! This site is always hopping lol. Anyways baby heart beat sounds just like a little drum! I love hearing it. Took me awhile to figure out how and where to find lo heartbeat but now that i have I'm So in love with that sound! Finally over ms but now i have no appetite and am tired all the time,but I'm ok with that as long as no ms!!! Hope everyone is doing well as we are getting closer to our 2nd trimester!!!!

Hi ladies!! This site is always hopping lol. Anyways baby heart beat sounds just like a little drum! I love hearing it. Took me awhile to figure out how and where to find lo heartbeat but now that i have I'm So in love with that sound! Finally over ms but now i have no appetite and am tired all the time,but I'm ok with that as long as no ms!!! Hope everyone is doing well as we are getting closer to our 2nd trimester!!!!

Do you have one of those doppler things?

I'm partly jealous of the ladies who have one because I haven't gotten to hear a heart beat myself yet, just receive confirmation from the U/S tech that the heartbeat at my 6w U/S was nice and strong.

But part of me thinks that I'd just stress myself out even more trying to chase LO around to find the HB. DH and I also have zero money for something like that. :nope: We're both still living on a student budget, although DH will be starting a part-time teaching position at a highschool very soon.

You're so close to your 2nd Tri!! I feel like it's still forever away for me! :dohh:

Readytomum I'm the same, really want a Doppler but scared that if I don't find hb I'll freak out!!!

Stmw, glad your bleeding is over and you and baby are well.

Afm, bed at half 8 last night. I felt so awful, really sick like I haven't felt before but nothing would lessen it, was also exhausted so just went to bed. Good 10 hours sleep lat and sickness is gone....but I'm still tireD?! How does that one work?!

I am one of thosepeoples who have a doppler but can't seem to find the heart beat. I decided not to panic and just wait a few days before trying again. I wanna stay positive and removed myself that at the last scan, baby was fine and moving around happily.

Do you have one of those doppler things?

I'm partly jealous of the ladies who have one because I haven't gotten to hear a heart beat myself yet, just receive confirmation from the U/S tech that the heartbeat at my 6w U/S was nice and strong.

But part of me thinks that I'd just stress myself out even more trying to chase LO around to find the HB. DH and I also have zero money for something like that. :nope: We're both still living on a student budget, although DH will be starting a part-time teaching position at a highschool very soon.

You're so close to your 2nd Tri!! I feel like it's still forever away for me! :dohh:

Hey hun, I was talking to the doc that took my second U/S and she told me she is against Doppler so early in the pregnancy. An U/S can confirm a heart beat and it is harmless. She believes it is better to start using it after 11 week. I cannot question her as this is her job and I also think that many women need a peace of mind and they need a Doppler even if it is 5th week. No judgy here, everyone have their own reason s and we must respect them all. Just wanted to tell you I'm not getting a Doppler for home use at all.
An U/S that has good results is good enough for me.:winkwink:

We had lunch with my parents yesterday and my mom dropped quite the bomb yesterday: she wants to move in with us after the LO is born... EEEEK! I'm glad DH didn't hear her saying this. I told her she is welcome to come and help around during working hours (9-5) and in particular to help around the house, bring us lunch, do dishes etc. But there is no way it is convenient for anyone to live in. What about am feedings, she asked. And I answered, what are you going to do in the am? Milk me like a cow? I'm going to BF so there is no way you can help with the baby. You can help me, but there is no need to help with the baby in the early days. When it is a little older she can babysit all she likes.

Notes: she was appalled on the words BF (she didn't BF me or my sis) and she was disapointed that she is not allowed to play mommy on my expense.

Those with kids how do you prevent those too eager to parent your babies for you without your consent? I know it is going to be a toughy for me and my mom. She doesn't really want to help me, she just wants to play with the baby all day, while I do the housecleaning.

Thanks doggylover.

Lily my MIL was the same when I had DD - constantly wanting to feed or rock to sleep (when we didnt want her to sleep!!)

She eventually got the message when I always made a point of feeding Roxy and put her on her play mat or something. I think alot of people think they are 'helping' when really they are taking away (sometimes) the joys of early motherhood for the actual mother! Why should we spend the time cleaning the house when we could be cwtching, feeding and playing with our LO's?

Its going to be your baby and they will always want you before anyone else to comfort etc - it is a toughy though *big hugs*

xxxx

Where did you all get your dopplers?? There are so many websites i feel kinda lost.

I'm so excited, I went in this morning to get some blood drawn so we can find out the sex of the baby. Now I just have to sit and wait for 72 hours...prob will be the longest 3 days of my life! Cant wait though!!!:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->