are you meant to sleep on your back?

Lexi mummy

Reaction score
Hi

i am confused when are you meant to not sleep on your back anymore? i remember from my last pregnancy that the bigger i got the more uncomfortable lying on back would of been from weight of baby. however i like lying on my back and sleeping that way and i always feel baby kicks when i do (anterior placenta)

what have you been told? i dont want to harm baby xx

Its true that the weight of baby and everyting else in later pregnancy can put some pressure on the nerves and main arteries in your back and that this can cause you to feel dizzy - although if this happens (even in sleep) your body will adjust itself accordingly... It is a bit of a myth that it can harm baby... if you prefer to slepp on your back, you can prop your lower back with a cushion to relieve some of the pressure.. x

Sorry but I am not sure and was wondering the same thing myself.xx

I always seem to wake up on my back! i find it comfy tho. I will ly on my back on the sofa and watch a film as being on my side takes ages for me to get settled as i cant get comfy :(

should be ok hun, just listen to what your body tells you
xx

Its true that the weight of baby and everyting else in later pregnancy can put some pressure on the nerves and main arteries in your back and that this can cause you to feel dizzy - although if this happens (even in sleep) your body will adjust itself accordingly... It is a bit of a myth that it can harm baby... if you prefer to slepp on your back, you can prop your lower back with a cushion to relieve some of the pressure.. x

This is what I have read too.... apparently the theory about not sleeping on your back is from the 60's and very outdated. Your body will tell you if its uncomfortable and theres no reason it should hurt baby.

I always seem to wake up on my back! i find it comfy tho. I will ly on my back on the sofa and watch a film as being on my side takes ages for me to get settled as i cant get comfy :(

should be ok hun, just listen to what your body tells you
xx

your post made me chuckle. when i was pregnant with my daughter i kept trying to sleep on my side and every night i would wake up on my back :haha: i was like "how the hell did that happen again" it was like the more i thought about not doing it the more it happened :haha:

ive been laying on my right side quite a bit to watch tv and now it feels a bit bruised below the rib xx

i sleep on my back i start off on the left side and end up doing a full circle by morning :rofl:

xx

I can only get to sleep on my back, baby kicks me to bits if i lie on either side :wacko: x

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for this thread.x

yeah, really good thread - i have been wondering about this too - never go to sleep on my back but seem to always wake up on it! not bothered about it making me dizzy as long as it's not harming our beany! x

https://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-sleep-position-during-pregnancy_7608.bc I hope this helps you lovely ladys x x x

I'm sure very heavy people can sleep on their backs, can't they? I am going to ask my MW on Weds cos sleeping on my side is not working!

I heard that once the baby gets too heavy (around 4 months), it can squash an artery that takes blood or oxygen to the baby, meaning if you lie on your back, the baby is deprived. I am most comfortable on my back, and am hardly able to sleep on my sides :(

Verdict from the MW, its ok as long as you don't lie flat?! She said it won't hurt the baby anyway but might make you faint. She also said it was total rubbish that lying on one side is better than the other.

Verdict from the MW, its ok as long as you don't lie flat?! She said it won't hurt the baby anyway but might make you faint. She also said it was total rubbish that lying on one side is better than the other.

thanks for checking this out. so if you are proped up slightly but on your back that is ok? i have quite thick pillows and use 3 at a time. laying on my back is the only time i feel baby move too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->