• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

As a mother who formula feeds..

https://www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/advice/is-it-ok-to-stop-breastfeeding

Just thought i'd post this. :flower: xx

I don't agree 100 percent with this, but there are some good points^^

I don't think there are dangers with FF but rather more benefits with breastfeeding.

I can understand trying and failing for whatever reason. I don't know why some mothers just don't even try. I've heard women say, "I'm not going to BF because i think its gross" or "i don't want my boobs to sag" Vanity reasons like that make me upset.

I feel that every woman owes it to their child to at least try. And if you can't, them FF makes you absolutely no less of a mother. You are still giving your child the best that YOU can.

This is my first and i plan on giving it a real try. But if it doesn't work, I'm not going to be ashamed of using formula. I'm not feeding the baby liquid poison :/

And making breastfeeding a law is the dumbest thing i ever heard. You cant make something a law that not everyone can actually do. Gisele should stick to modeling in underwear...politics is obviously not her calling:dohh:

I believe everyone has a right to an opinion but this part:

'To those women who choose not to breastfeed, I would like you to make the following statements—out loud, holding your baby, looking directly at their face:

“I CHOOSE for you to have a weaker immune system.”

“I CHOOSE for you to have a greater risk of having chronic ear infections.”

“I CHOOSE for you to have a greater risk of having asthma.”

“I CHOOSE for you to have a greater risk of having juvenile diabetes.”

“I CHOOSE for you to have a greater risk of having childhood leukemia.”

“I CHOOSE for you to have a greater risk of dying of sudden infant death syndrome.”

THEN say, “I make this choice because ________,” and fill in the blank with your excuse for not breastfeeding. Harsh, isn’t it? Those are the facts.'

I find completely unfair. Just like people can decide they want to BF, people can decide they DON'T want to. It may come as a shock but it is not the worst thing a mother can do to her child. I tried BFing. It wasn't the best for me or my baby so I stopped. And I would say, if you can, at least try it. If you don't like it then at least you can say you had a go. But some people just don't want to and everyone is entitled to a choice. We live in the 21st Century. We DO have choices. As sad as it may be that some people choose to use formula. Grace has grown up into a very healthy and bright 2 year old despite having had formula from when she was 11 days old. Infact, we were on a caravan holiday a few weeks ago. There were 9 of us and 8 of us all got a sickness bug and another 2 people who came to pick up some of us to take us home. Grace was the only one who didn't get it. She has a great immune system. And she is well advanced in her speech as many HV's and other people have pointed out to me since she was 1. I think it is really unnecessary to try scaremongering women into BFing like that, making out like people who don't do so are selfish and don't care about their children. I'm sure that is never to rarely the case

I totally agree. The article seems very unfair. My friend exclusively breastfed for 7mths. I formula fed from 2 days old. My friends daughter has eczema, asthma, hayfever and is always really ill with colds etc. Mine do not suffer any health problems.

Its just down to every child is different.

I just wonder how people would react if I went around being an advocate for formula feeding telling breastfeeders that there choices were wrong and how they could be starving their children?!

I know, I dont care what people say after reading the comments to that article which was very far btw some bf mothers and even fathers look down their noses at those who formula feed

The difference here is that this mother tried to BF. It didn't work out for, fine, so she switched to formula. I'd admire her for trying.

Why is she so up in arms about hearing "breast is best?" It is a proven fact that your milk is the best for your baby. And I'd imagine that being in the health profession, you want the best for your patients, which is why they recommend BFing before any other options. Is that anything to get offended over? I don't think so, because at the end of the day, the choice is ultimately yours.

The difference here is that this mother tried to BF. It didn't work out for, fine, so she switched to formula. I'd admire her for trying.

Why is she so up in arms about hearing "breast is best?" It is a proven fact that your milk is the best for your baby. And I'd imagine that being in the health profession, you want the best for your patients, which is why they recommend BFing before any other options. Is that anything to get offended over? I don't think so.

I think it's more the fact that it gets rammed down your throat. It's a well known fact that breast is best. Some people still choose not to BF. And for people like me that tried, we get made to feel bad for depriving our children? I don't feel guilt for FFing because the way I see it, I fed her insome way which is more than can be said for a lot of mothers in this country unfortunately. BFing will always be best for your baby but what is making FFing parents feel terrible going to solve? Nothing. It makes them feel like bad parents when they could be doing a lot worse to their children :shrug:

Why so much energy defending a choice that's not even a very good one? Everyone knows formula is far inferior.Its the alternate choice but not even a close one to the real thing. I have a theory. So much effort here trying desperately not to feel guilty about giving your baby inferior nutrition with no antibodies to protect your baby. Possible illnesses & food allergies in your babies futures... GUILT is a built in mechanism ladies, just like physical pain is when you put your fingers on a hot stove. Its a warning sign there to alert you not to ignore it.. that something is wrong.Your guilt is your subconscience warning you that you're making a poor choice. SURE its your freedom, your choice. BUT it's a poor & selfish choice in most cases. Wake up & listen to it. Has anyone addressed the guilt a formula feeding mom feels when her baby gets seriously ill that first year or God forbids he dies? Redbook totally minimized the huge important fact that formula fed babies have no antibodies to fight any nasty bacteria/virus that comes along. Sure breastfed babies get ill too. BUt if my baby was formula fed & that happened to him you can BET there'd be this voice in the back of my head whispering "gee I wonder if he'd have been ok IF ONLY he'd had my antibodies to help protect him!" Hmmmm? A harsh & sad but true reality of making selfish choices

Just one of the many neg comments

I didn't even try breastfeeding! Maybe it is that I want to keep my boobs, mine! I feel that having OH sucking on one boob then my baby the next minute a really uncomfortable thought.
Im allowed to be happy, and im happy with formula feeding. xx

Why so much energy defending a choice that's not even a very good one? Everyone knows formula is far inferior.Its the alternate choice but not even a close one to the real thing. I have a theory. So much effort here trying desperately not to feel guilty about giving your baby inferior nutrition with no antibodies to protect your baby. Possible illnesses & food allergies in your babies futures... GUILT is a built in mechanism ladies, just like physical pain is when you put your fingers on a hot stove. Its a warning sign there to alert you not to ignore it.. that something is wrong.Your guilt is your subconscience warning you that you're making a poor choice. SURE its your freedom, your choice. BUT it's a poor & selfish choice in most cases. Wake up & listen to it. Has anyone addressed the guilt a formula feeding mom feels when her baby gets seriously ill that first year or God forbids he dies? Redbook totally minimized the huge important fact that formula fed babies have no antibodies to fight any nasty bacteria/virus that comes along. Sure breastfed babies get ill too. BUt if my baby was formula fed & that happened to him you can BET there'd be this voice in the back of my head whispering "gee I wonder if he'd have been ok IF ONLY he'd had my antibodies to help protect him!" Hmmmm? A harsh & sad but true reality of making selfish choices

Someone actually said that?! And people try telling FFing parents that THEY are the narrow minded ones?

Why so much energy defending a choice that's not even a very good one? Everyone knows formula is far inferior.Its the alternate choice but not even a close one to the real..

Yeah that one is awful! Don't worry about it hun. You're a brill mummy and breastfeeding doesn't define a good mother at all xx

By saying "breast is best" that is just educating, not ramming it down your throat.

By saying "breast is best" that is just educating, not ramming it down your throat.

It is when you hear it a thousand and one times though :wacko:. I got fed up of seeing posters in the hospital all repeating the same thing.

I have to say, I do have the upmost respect for mums who BF. I know a few people who make out like they're far more important and better mothers than anyone who FF which I think is a shame because it gives other BFers a bad name. But then again, I respect ALL mothers. We're all here to do the same job and that is raise our children as best we can. Nobody is perfect, even BFing mums. I don't think it is anyone's business to judge the way another person parents.

It is when you hear it a thousand and one times though :wacko:. I got fed up of seeing posters in the hospital all repeating the same thing.

^^ WSS. There are posters everywhere, HV'S and MW's are always going on about it. There is an advert on UK tv advertising stage 2 formula and it includes the words "We all know breast milk is best for your baby, nothing compares to it." Yes. We get it.

^^ WSS. There are posters everywhere, HV'S and MW's are always going on about it. There is an advert on UK tv advertising stage 2 formula and it includes the words "We all know breast milk is best for your baby, nothing compares to it." Yes. We get it.

Yes I saw that the other day too. Even annoyed my OH.

I know women who are really pressured by their OH's to breastfeed. I've seen one woman reduced to tears because of the way her husband was treating her. It's awful. I really think there should be 'advocates' for both sides. Formula milk should be advertised, not compared! xx

Someone actually said that?! And people try telling FFing parents that THEY are the narrow minded ones?

Bexy you should have a look at them im stunned

I sincerely doubt the doctors are trying to annoy or offend you. Like I said, they are educated health professionals! They are presenting the best option for feeding your baby, simple as that.

If they present the information, you listen, decide for yourself you don't want to, fine then. I'd just speak up and say, "I won't be BFing and it isn't up for discussion." Perhaps you should be more stern and then you won't feel the way you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->