Ask an unassisted homebirther

Not sure if this has been answered but Im really interested in what you did throughout pregnancy to monitor yourself and baby. Did you have any anomaly scans or anything? Also were you monitoring iron levels and bump measurements? I have found the majority of my midwife appointments to be quite pointless. They take blood several times and really once you know your blood type it seems a bit unnecessary - just my opinion! Would love to go without seeing them in my next pregnancy but im not sure if this is legal in uk - does anyone know?
Also did you take your blood pressure? Thats the main thing I would want to keep an eye on even though I have never had an issue with it, I know that it could turn nasty quite quickly. Thanks for sharing, its great to have the opportunity to ask these things!

I am planning on having a UC as well so i am SO happy I found your thread, cause I want to make sure I am prepared. I am sure I will have questions for you, but it is 12:30am and my brain is asleep so i cant think of any now lol. I am trying to learn as much as possible about UC and coming up with a birth plan, i do live about 5 min from the hospital so if something goes wrong, its very close.

What kind of things did you do to prepare? (classes ect) and what supplies did you have for the birth?

Thank-you so much for sharing your wonderful story Silver Penny!

My question is: what is an EPO? You mentioned taking them a few times while in labour ...

I think it was the most beautiful birth story I've ever read :flower:

I don't think brave is the right word, to be brave you have to be scared, and overcome it. But it sounds like you weren't scared at all. I admire you for the amount of preparation and research you did, and for your positive attitude throughout, in spite of the rough ride with your first birth.

Congratulations! Your baby is very lucky to have been born so gently and lovingly :flower:

Hey, just writing to say I LOVE your story. It really is amazing. Birth today has been taken over by the medical proffesion, and pregnancy and labour are seen as health conditions. People forget that birth is normal, natural event. You never see animals on wildlife shows monitoring each other and doing assisted deliveries,and the majority of them survive.
I don't think I could ever have an unassisted birth (I'm too much of a wimp with pain!), but think your story is amazing, congratulations to you :)

Amazing story!!! A woman giving birth no more no less:) why have we turned giving birth into such a medical thing?

I'm not pregnant but hoping to be soon, I really want a homebirth but even the mention of it makes my oh freak out! I loved when you said he was born as he was created with just you and OH:)

yes there is a lot of what ifs! I probably won't be strong enough to have the birth that I want. But omg power to you! Your obviously an intelligent women and if you thought anything was going wrong you would have went to hospital.

I think you turely had an amazing positive experience for you lo and dh xx

oops question was the baby attached to the placenta till the next morning?

i know your birth was some time ago now, i just wanted to say my Congrats

although i was in hospital for ds1 and ds2 then ds2 was very nearly delieverd by my husband due to the MW's be unaware of his rush to get into the world lol, I love the Idea of UC, however i am just not comfortable with it as a choice for myself although strongly considering a homebirth ( DH isnt aggreeing with me at this point )

great story and it's awesome that you have been able to answer so any questions about it. I love the idea of an unassisted birth but with my history, having a home birth will bea major achievement at any rate.

Congrats

wow this was really interesting. i would never have unassisted birth or home birth as i worry too much and wouldn't be able to take the risk. my son was EMSC after becoming stuck so i'm happy to was in hospital... plus i needed the gas & air! lol

But i respect how open you have been on here and answered every question politely and honestly. you were obviously prepared and i'm so happy all went well.

So glad you posted this!

I had a beautiful waterbirth, unmedicated and intervention free birth in a hospital. (which i was surpised about as we all know how hospital births can go :wacko:) but my biggest issue was them taking my child away :cry: sometimes i am still upset that they wouldn't let me nurse him for so long and that they had him in the nursery for no real reason the entire first day of his life! I want a homebirth but our insurance does not pay for it and we can't afford it out of pocket :nope: so i was looking into UC. My mum had 5 babies, her last was unassisted and it only lasted 2 hours! she said it didn't hurt anymore than any other birth and she said it was because of how relaxed she was.

I was just wondering if you had any helpful links or books that you would suggest? How do you get over the fear of the "what-ifs"? I am an all-natural childbirth educator and doula so i totally understand the prenatal and birth process and i have full respect and faith in woman and babies and what they can do but i guess there is that little fear. I do believe that american society has taught woman to fear birth and thats why so many end up with the tramatic hospital birth experiences. I know some would call me irresponsible or crazy for even thinking of doing a UC with our next baby, but i just want some direction. I would rather have a homebirth midwife, but thats just not feasable-not even iIf she did a payment plan. I think we could do it, just a little fearful. We are within 5 minutes of the hospital i delivered at so even if there was an emergency, we would be fine :thumbup:

also can you give me a small list of things i should know and prepare myself for? and what items i would need and what i should be looking for as far as healthy baby during labor?

another question over here :hi: :blush:

I was given a small injection of pitocin after the birth only because i lost a ton of blood (i actually ended up being severely anemic. Lesson learned, i will stay on my prenatal next time :dohh:), but anyways, if that were to happen what would one do to stop the bleeding? The pitocin helps stop the bleeding, so i understand why they gave it to me, but im all for being natural! (obviously) so if that were to happen, lots of blood loss and/or being anemic, what would you do? Im wondering this for my own choices. Surely there is some sort of natural remedy? :shrug: ...i obviously have a ton of research to do! :coffee:

wow what an amazing story thanks for sharing! Im having a home water birth in Peru, but would never be brave enough to have an UC, but hugely admire you for it! The main reason ive chose a home birth is the culture here is very much geared towards c-sections, ive met many girls who were told they were too small (seriously!) to give birth naturally or the baby was too big, turned out to be 7lbs 1 so pretty small! plus there is the theory that c sections cost more and so 85pc of the births in the capital Lima end up c ssections,as its corrupt! also the doctors deliver the babies and if you take too long they say the baby is in distress and whoosh you off to surgery! all that scares me far more than the idea of giving birth at home with my loving OH and amazing midwife!

Don't mean to offend but as we're being honest, I think it's dangerously irresponsible and should not be encouraged.

Don't mean to offend but as we're being honest, I think it's dangerously irresponsible and should not be encouraged.

If you don't mean to offend, don't say it, it's still offensive and rude. She's sharing her story and answering questions, don't look if you don't like it. Other peoples births are not your responsibility and therefore you don't have a right to tell us if we should be encouraged or not. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. How bleeding rude! :coffee:

If you don't mean to offend, don't say it, it's still offensive and rude. She's sharing her story and answering questions, don't look if you don't like it. Other peoples births are not your responsibility and therefore you don't have a right to tell us if we should be encouraged or not. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. How bleeding rude! :coffee:

:thumbup:

Hmmm....some of us have had very traumatic hospital births as a result of hospital staff....so to some giving birth in a hospital is irresponsible but it's not like we would ever say that....just saying ;)

So I can only comment if I agree with it? If you open yourself to discussion you can expect to hear honest opinions. Sorry if you don't like my opinion but tough. I think you're being very naive to think that everyone will say "oh that's great" "well done". And FYI I wasn't rude at all, nor did I word it offensively. I have as much right to an opinion as anyone else.

I believe the OP said to ask questions. It says nothing about debating if it's irresponsible or not....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->