Atkins/low carb support thread.

Well i find it imteresting that when i wanted to lose weight my doctor referred me to a bariatric clinic and said, you can do weight watchers and jenny craig and herbal magic or even Dr Bernstein but if you want to keep the weight off the bariatric doctors have the best success rates. And of course the bariatric doctors cut the carbs out. It's so important to eat protein with every meal.

There's a fantastic little documentary that i saw a few weeks ago about how the government came up with their food pyramid with bread, grains, pasta and potato being the wide bottom highest serving daily count. It also speaks about the correlation with rhe obesity epidemic and what people have eaten (in comparison) over the past thousand years and not been so effected by obesity. Grains also block absorption of nutrients and minerals, many people are wheat intolerant & celiac. We're just on the way home from our ski trip, i'll post it when i get home.

https://pinterest.com/pin/149041068890381640/
I watched this and thought the information was phenomenal, it's not super exciting in terms of a movie but really tells volumes about how we've been duped by the government about how to eat.

Ms. Adele Hite, PhD in Public Health and Nutrition, has collected a volume of information that illustrates why both the USDA and HHS have been so adamant in enacting these poor health policies.
https://www.carbohydratescankill.com/3408/82-adele-hite-mph-on-2010-dietary-guidelines-independent-scientific-review-panel

Thanks for the links. I will definately check those out. I've been trying to find out more about Celiac disease. I now wonder about my make-up. I have read just enough to make me concerned, but not enough to know the truth. I think a few of my vitamins may contain wheat. When they run out I will be looking to replace them with a product that states on the label "gluten free."

My weight loss seems to have hit a plateau. I thought it was because of AF, but I'm cd5. I should be losing the puffiness by now.

sweetmel, do you have a bodyfat % measurement along with weight on your scale? Each time I don't lose weight I'm losing body fat. It's really made a difference doing both measurements especially when the weight doesn't move.

On friday I finally broke my 191 stall and hit 189, I skied allll weekend and ate very well/properly and didn't lose but I'm now down to 33% bf from 35 last week. I get it. Things are changing but if you're really active it's more in your physique, weight will come in time. Don't get discouraged!

I know I am following atkins right. My Lose It app helps me keep a food diary. I can see just how many nutrients I am getting. I am drinking the water to help flush out the toxins. I know I need more exercise. I would learn to ski if I could. That sounds fun. The gym is going to have to do. I have done better this time than the last time I went this low carb. Last time I gave up after three months of only seeing a 6 lb weight loss. I keep reminding myslef that I have already lost 11.5 lbs in four weeks. Also, my jeans are getting loose.

My big reason for doing all of this is so I can get pregnant. I am hoping that I can manage to get my hormone levels balanced. I read that it can take up to 6 months for things to correct themselves. I'm impatient.

Me too-losing weight to help hormone levels and get pregnant. I've tried everything else, I did get preggers with softcups but m/c. But my hormone levels cause my cycles to go long and ovulate late, they're getting better, chin acne has gone away last month it was shorter on all counts. We'll see how this month goes.

I have been reading about gluten intolerance (celiac disease). I've been noticing a lot more products in my local grocery store that are labeled gluten free so it inspired me to do a bit of internet reading. Celiac disease doesn't just affect the digestive system, but there are a lot of other systems in the body that it interferes with. Reproduction in both men and women is one of them. I was able to have my two boys 7 and 5 years ago because I was on the Atkins diet which is basically a gluten free diet. I didn’t realize it at the time. As of January 14th I’ve been low carb again hoping it would work a third time. Now I get the connection to gluten. Google (or Bing) a search for celiac disease and infertility. It is definitely worth reading.

SweetMel - I have celiac disease.. I found out just over a year ago. They said i've probably had it most of my life and i'm terrified that I won't be able to have kids (it can cause infertility when it goes untreated) so i'm SO SO anxious to start trying in september! Celiac sucks, but once you start eating the right foods, you will feel SO much better!

I don't know if I'm Celiac, but it is crazy what I have read so far. I hope you can overcome this disease CantHrdlyWait. Hopefully as soon as you are ready to ttc, you will become pg within a couple months.

My weight is coming off much slower now. I am down 12 lbs. I have almost given up diet soda. I say almost because I am still drinking a small 12 oz bottle in the mornings. I will be happy when I can say I have kicked the habit.

This morning I was in a hurry so I grabed a string cheese as I ran out the door. It was better than going hungry til lunch. For lunch, I had a bacon and avocado burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and swiss. (NO BUN) Dinner was hot wings and a stir fry veggie mix made from broccoli, carrot, and snow peas. A few hours later I had Whipped cream and strawberries. Total net carbs today: 14

I was tempted Wednesday night. My neighbor was having a birthday party and was serving ice cream and cake. I was very tempted to cheat, but I didn't. Instead, after the party I went back home and made a very tasty chicken and vegetable soup.

Good for you SweetMel, we had sashimi yesterday, I was so hungry after work!!! Today I was down another 2 lbs on the scale, it's a little over 1 month and I'm a third of the way to my goal. I'm very pleased with how little time it's taken, I can totally picture myself in a bikini (pregnant or not) when summer comes! I'm off to the gym today, from how dark the ketostix go, I seem to only really hit a decent ketosis when I work out. It was really dark after skiing last weekend and then quite light all week so I'll go a few times this weekend and kick it up a notch.

OK, when I work out I sometimes really crave carbs and baked goods. I found a brownie recipe that's pretty good with almost NO carbs on Youtube. This guy has lots of really great low carb recipes (he's a body builder).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmbTVSgEYmM
My OH and I ate the whole plateful yesterday, guilt free. Oh and I lost another 2 lbs over night! Not even on the high end either, it was 185.2! YEAY!

OMG! Is that one of PJ's receipes?

I was looking at your ticker from an earily post before I saw this last post and I wasn't sure I remembered your weight lost right, but I was thinking "did she lose more weight?" Then I read you new post. That's awesome!

The family and I ate at Pasta House which I know sounds bad, but I was a good girl. I swear. I had the house salad and then I had the Chicken Rustico with a large side of steamed broccoli. It was so good and low carb too.

My husband has lost another 2 lbs. He is only 7 lbs from his goal. He is so excited that now he thinks he wants to lower his goal to 170. I guess he can lose 12 more lbs, but I don't want him losing more than that. I think I am going to get him some snack foods that are low in carbs for him to eat in between meals (I'm thinking nuts and seeds).

Hi Sweetmel, yes it is a little crazy, I won't budge for a week on the scale and then all of a sudden boom 4 lbs gone in 2 days. I think if your hubbie wants to edit his goal that's great and it's nice of you to support him by getting healthy snacks.

It was my oh's birthday dinner @ mom's house tonight, they all drank scotch and then had a rich chocolate gnosh cake. I had a fork full of his cake and my dinner (which was Brussels sprouts, salad and slow cooker steak cubes w/veggies). I drank tea while they drank 4different single malt whiskeys. I've got a bad cold thank goodness so I wasn't even tempted. We'll see if the scale rewards me tomorrow!

Lost another 1.2! That makes 4.2 lb loss in just under a month! I have about 14 more lbs to lose before my goal weight for the wedding!!

Lost another 1.2! That makes 4.2 lb loss in just under a month! I have about 14 more lbs to lose before my goal weight for the wedding!!

Well done! Have you had the fittings for your dress yet? I had to get mine taken in at the last minute and the seamstress scolded me not to lose anymore weight :haha:

Well done! Have you had the fittings for your dress yet? I had to get mine taken in at the last minute and the seamstress scolded me not to lose anymore weight :haha:

I try dresses on this weekend!! I'm so excited!

Good job CantHrdlyWait.

I bought some ketostix today. I had to try one as soon as I got home. It was "moderate." I got excited bc that means I'm burning fat.

We ate at KFC today for lunch which was nice. I had two pieces of grilled chicken (a breast & a wing), with green beans and cole slaw. I took it easy on the cole slaw even though it was tasty bc I think it might have had some extra carbs in the dressing that was on it. For dinner I fixed baked fish, carrots, and yellow squash. I would have added zucchini to the veggie medley but the store didn't have any. :growlmad:

Do you girls have any low carb suggestions for breakfast? The mornings when I have time to cook I usually will have some sort of eggs and meat, but on the mornings when I don't have time, I would like to have something pre-made that I can grab and go. Sometimes I will eat leftovers. Any other ideas?

I love Ketostix, they motivate me to exercise so that i can see the line get dark. It really doesn't get very dark when I'm not exercising. I've been sick all weekend and having very little carbs (under 10/day) and almost nothing on the ketostix!

For breakfast I just packed a fruit and 3/4 cup cottage cheese. In a cup of the 1% there's 6g carbs to 28g protein and I have the 0% kind. That's a pretty decent ratio for how filling it is. I also put berries, spinach and protein powder in the blender for my car ride into work. It keeps me till 10am (I start @ 7am), at 10 I have some tea & the cottage cheese & fruit.

We went out for lunch today and I had a burger less the bun for lunch and chicken breast & roast veggies for dinner. We had those protein brownies for desert. I feel like I eat well everyday, I rarely feel hungry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->