Atkins/low carb support thread.

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately they aren't going to work for me right now. The only fruit I allow my self at this stage are berries and even then I limit them to three a day. I count them as one carb per berry. I loaned out my Atkins book but I am pretty sure cottage cheese is one of those soft cheeses that is better for the later phases of Atkins. I wish my blender worked, but I desperately need a new one. I am thinking about getting one here in about two weeks. My husband is down for the protein smoothie thing. I've been collecting a few receipes that are low carb so that I will be ready when I get a new blender. I need a lot of new kitchen stuff. I broke my vegetable peeler tonight. lol

I found an old Vitamix off kijiji for $100, best blender I've ever owned. Then my mom went and bought a new one at Costco ($700), I'm solo jealous lol.

I'm just following a bariatric doctor's diet so I don't really know the rules of Atkins. I was told that beans (like chilli or brown beans) are high in sugar and carbs and to stay away from them as well as veggies like beets, peas, and corn because of their higher sugar content. They said 2 fruit/day and I usually put my stuff into fit day to see what my carbs are adding up to/nutritional content (supplement with vits that Im missing). They gave the rules around sugary foods and salad dressings rather than fats or oils. They said on this diet you're better of with fats and it won't degrade your ketosis as much as sugar/carbs. I'm also ttc right now (I'm waiting to trigger tonight's/iui Tuesday, so really want to make sure I get vitamins in (spinach n berries :/).

I forget that tomatoes and avocado are technically fruit. I eat a small amount of tomato. I love love love avocadoes. They are low in carbs, high in fiber, high in nutrients, and taste amazing with just about anything. I think I could possibly eat an avocado every day and never get bored of them.

I have been using a free app to track the food I eat. Lose it! It is okay, but they could do some upgrades to it. It has saved me a lot of time by not having to look up the carb content of every food I eat. It keeps track of fats, proteins, and other stuff too.

Good luck with the trigger tonight.

How was everybody's Monday?

This is what I ate today:
Breakfast - two scrambled eggs, and 1/2 an avocado
Lunch - an all beef hot dog (1 carb) and a cup of hamburger chili (no beans) made with onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and tomato. Sprinkle with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese.
Dinner - I made beef stew with carrot, celery, yellow squash, onion, and garlic. Garnished with a spoonful of sour cream.
Evening snack - was a low carb brownie (2 carbs), 1/4 cup of Cool Whip, and 3 strawberries.

I think Dr. Robert Atkins would be proud. Total carbs: 26.6 grams - fiber 10.6 grams = 16 net carbs.

Exercise: I took the family swimming at the Civic Center for an hour and a half. So fun.

Looks like a totally healthy day ;)
I had 3/4 cup 0% fat cottage cheese, chicken breast and protein chicken soup for dinner with low carb chocolate brownies for snacks. I went for a workout yesterday, did 1/2 hour on the elliptical, 30 min weight training and then 15 stretching with a steam afterwards.

I was 2 lbs heavier on the scale today, I think I have inflammation going on or else the HCG trigger shot has done something. I'm ovulating today with IUI at 2pm so something's going on. I shouldn't be that much up but I'm not worrying about it, I'll just drink lots of water tonight and rest.

I wouldn't worry about it. It has to be imflammation. It could be salt. Although I have water retension sometimes for no apparent reason. :shrug: Just keep doing what you've been doing. It will be alright.

Wow. IUI today? Good luck. Keep us updated.

I lost another pound. Yay for me! My OH has lost another 2 lbs. I think he only has 9 lbs to go to meet his goal. I’m so proud of him. We had a great day yesterday. Our boys were off from school bc of snow so we stayed in and had some quality time with each other playing XBOX. Hubby and I got to go out last night to a nice restaurant. This is what my low carb menu looked like for yesterday:

Breakfast: Coffee with almond milk and splenda, two fried eggs and two sausage patties

Lunch: a salad with lettuce, tomato, cheese, celery, carrot, rotisserie chicken, and bacon ranch dressing

Dinner: a steak and lobster dinner with Caesar salad, green beans, and veggie medley (squash).

Anybody else low carb and lovin’ it?

Hey Sweetmel, I'm glad at least one of us is losing weight! I've been stuck at 185 all week. Yesterday my brain wanted to go to the gym but i was SO tired. It might be the progesterone they have me on.
I did go to the gym today and have been eating healthy. Cottage cheese and turkey snorker for breaky w/ decaf coffee. LOTS of water today, 2.5 hour workout with 1/2 elliptical and 1/2 hour stair master. I've been doing pull ups and lot of weights and starting to see some really great definition in my arms.
I just had some chicken protein soup for lunch and having a turkey burger with veggies for dinner, protein jello for desert.
Let me be at 184/183 by monday! I'll go work out tomorrow, it felt great today:happydance:

It prob is the progesterone. Do you have a ttc journal or something that I can stalk you? I don't have one yet. I might have to start one. How did you think the procedure went? How many dpo are you? Wow, I'm nosey! :blush:

Hi Sweetmel, I don't have a journal, I think if I ever get preggers again I'll start one or maybe when I start doing IVF but until then I'm just a stalker of others :haha:

I think the IUI went well on Tuesday, last spring I had one and it hurt, I don't know what she hit with the catheter but it made me really nervous this time. This time I didn't feel a think! Somehow I don't think it'll work. I don't know why I feel that way, I didn't see any spike on my cbefm with the surge, I had 3 good sized follies but I've had no twinges or anything. I'll start testing next week sunday but I fully expect a negative. They say IUI only increases your chances 5-10% more than regular BDing. But having said all that, I didn't feel anything in sept when I got pregnant, I even said right before I tested, lets just waste another FRER just for fun. I was really shocked, cried for days. I won't be too sad if I don't get a BFP this month, if we go on to do IVF next month we might actually get some eggs to freeze, and with my condition (diminished reserve) that's a really good thing. I also want twins if possible lol, to make up for lost time and get my family of 4 on the go. I'm 37 so if we got multiples I'd be over the moon. It would then still leave some years to try for another.

You have 2 boys then? How old are you and do you want more? I get the impression they're at least 6 years old?

Thanks for the update. I’m glad it didn’t hurt this time. I have to admit that I don’t know much about IUI. Twins?!? I have bad dreams occasionally that I give birth to twins and it is too much for me to handle, but then I wake up and think it couldn’t be that bad. Whatever happens, I’m cheering you on. I have two boys. They are 5 and 7 years old. They will both have their birthdays in May and I can’t believe how old they are getting. They are growing up way too fast. My hubby loves the boys, but he wants one of his own. We have wanted a baby for 3 years and were NTNP. My cycles have been regular for a year now but it hasn’t happened for us. We have been ttc for about 18 months trying to time bd right each month. I conceived each time while I was low carb so in January I decided to try that again. So that’s where we are now.

Well I really wish you luck, exercise and low carb help immensely and the other thing that I'd recommend is softcups. After 15 months of ttc we only started getting BFP's when we were using them. 15 months, within 4 times of using them we had 2 bfps, 1 chemical and the last one I m/c in Nov. So we're using them again. I find them handy really, after each of the procedures (IUI or IVF) they now have me on progesterone to try to decrease the chance of m/c and they're horrible and messy. So I just pop one in and no mess! I don't use them weekends and nights to give my body a break just in case but I think they're the greatest :haha:

Are you using OPKs? I'm sure it'll happen for you soon, maybe the carb load is really a big detriment! I'm just happy to be in such great shape before I get preggers. With all the working out, I can see there's muscle in there lol. And if it's twins, then my body will be in much better health to carry (you too, but you're still very young):happydance:

I’m not ready to try softcups, but you should get $ for all of the advertisement you’ve been doing. :haha: I didn’t know about them until I joined BnB. I’ve also never used one single OPK. I’ve heard that women with PCOS have too many false positive which is why I haven’t tried them. I did look at them today with dh and we discusses using them in the future. I have been thinking about trying progesterone cream for the second half of my cycle. If I am going to use it I should buy some soon. Idk what to do. You asked me how old I am and I forgot to tell you. I’m 36. Hubby is 24 (soon to be 25). I sometimes forget how old I am. I have to stop and think about it for a moment. :dohh:

I think we are the only two on this thread. Did we scare everyone else off? :shrug:

I'm still here :D I'm just not a ttcer, so I didn't want to burst in on your discussion! Best of luck in your journey though! X x

You are not interrupting Ceejay. I would love to hear from you. So how's it going?

Fine thank you! I keep deviating from low carb though, sometimes keeping completely off diet! I managed to lose 30lbs on low carb after having my lo. Lately though I'm more sticking to low calorie than low carb (when I actually stick to it, which is hardly ever!) why is it always so difficult to lose the last few lbs. i only want to lose 4lbs haha , should be easy after 30 but it seems impossible x

Wow. You've done great Ceejay. Those last few pound are a bear. Before I had my lo's I tried and tried to get below 145 but I just couldn't. I think I stayed at that weight for ten months or more. It did improve my fertility though. Within that time I got pregnant in Oct 2003, Jan 2004 and then again in Aug 2004. That last time ended up being my silly son born in 2005. Too bad we can't change the name of this thread from Atkins to just weight loss support. I think I'm the only one truely on Atkins.

Awwh haha. I'm .. 116 ish? I think, but I'm quite short. 5ft 2.5 inches. I started out at 145lbs but that was very heavy for my frame x

I'm still here! I've just been really busy!! Bought my wedding dress this weekend!! It fits like a glove, but i'm still hoping to lose about 15 more lbs before the wedding. I want to be in great shape on my honeymoon!!

I'm still here! I've just been really busy!! Bought my wedding dress this weekend!! It fits like a glove, but i'm still hoping to lose about 15 more lbs before the wedding. I want to be in great shape on my honeymoon!!

Can'thrdlywait what kind of back did you get and when's the big day?

Ceejay well done on your weight loss! I bet when spring hits you'll be able to shave them off easier. I'm not sure where you live but we're covered in 5 feet of snow here, there's less motivation to get outside and more to stay in and eat. I do fall off every now and then and when I need the carbs I tend like you to try at least to respect calorie content.

SweetMel, I guess with softcups, when you've been given <5% chance at success and finally found success you tend to toot your horn a little. But I write in diff sections of B&B so unless you happened to be in more than 1 with me you wouldn't know I rave about them. 8-[

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->