Baby proofing the house

b4baby

Mommy to DD and DS
Reaction score
How much have you all done to baby proof? Have you gone for complete lock down or just the obvious?

So far I have done anything and wasn't really planning on it but most moms look at me in horror when I say this!

Before Isaac was mobile i thought i would not baby proof the house but once he started moving...... Boy that changed quickly lol.

He mastered climbing the stairs at 10 months and the second my back was turned he would be up them and fast, but also quite wobbly.... Cue stair gates being put up at the top of the stairs and bottom.

He then went in the under the sink cupboard which holds all our cleaning stuff so i put cupboard locks on there. He goes in the other cupboards too but there is nothing dangeorus in them so i just tell him no when he does it.

We put a fireguard up, but only because we use our fire in he day and it was far too dangerous to not do it.

Other than that we have no other child proofing measures, oh, apart from plug socket covers.

isaac likes to splash in the toilet but we have just started putting the seat down.

He tries to reach to the cooker hob but it not tall enough yet, but we may have to consider somthing to stop him touching it when he is a bit taller.

We have not mobe ornaments or picture frames out of the way and we have counda firm NO a few times is all he needs to stop playing with them. The tv is endless entertainment for him and he bashes at the colours and people on the screen but he is starting to get the idea that he should not do it.

I guess we have child proofed enough to keep him safe (i hope) but i don't think we have gone over he top

We have a lock on the kitchen cupboard with the cleaners in, moved things like picture frames out of reach so far. I live in a flat, so a stair gate stops him getting onto the bedrooms and bathroom without us.
if I had stairs I'd have a gate at the bottom, he climbs them in a flash!
No socket covers yet, but they are switched to off.
That's more baby proofing then my mum ever did lol, going to be able to leave it at that but we'll see.

We have baby proofed as we've seen the need for things. Our family area (includes kitchen, family room and dining area) is all open plan, so when LO started trying to get in cupboards and we were worried about tripping up over her when cooking we bought a babydan configure gate to section the whole area off. We also have a gate which is between the family area and lounge (she can't get to stairs as you have to go through lounge and a door). We also have socket covers and a gate at the top of the stairs x

I haven't do too much, to be honest. Just gates.

We have a gate between the living room and kitchen, and kitchen and conservatory. And I have a gate at the top and bottom of the stairs. LO is always with me and yes, he tries to go in to cupboards, but he's never in the kitchen alone as the gate is closed if we're not in there.

We have stair gates in already in living room and top of stairs. I just put huge sofa cushions around tv stand so he can't bump his head. He stands up and rattles the fireguard but we need it there as both of them could really hurt themselves on the tile and fire surround. I feel like I spend my whole day on the floor now. I did have cupboard locks that you stuck on for sideboard but Louis has pulled them off :dohh:

Hands down, the best decision we made re. baby proofing was buying a bunch of gates, and gating out entire living room area.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/pro...g&displayTab=enh&productId=2265804&totCount=0

So far, I've moved all cleaning supplies to upper cabinets and put outlet covers on most of the outlets...still have some left to do. I've also secured some of the furniture to the walls, like the shelf and chest in baby's room, tv stand, bookcase. That's it so far but lo is not mobile yet so I'll probably see more things to do once she starts getting around.

We did it pretty seriously: stairgates, cupboard catches for the all dangerous cupboards and drawers (I don't mind if he hauls the plastics out and 'sorts' them on the kitchen floor, and socket plugs. But the biggest thing was really just rearranging furniture and delicate items so he can't get at anything dangerous or annoying.

It was a bit of a mission to get all done, but it's great for my sanity (not having to tell him 'Don't touch that' every four seconds), and all my friends love coming over to my place because their toddlers can romp around our entire living and deck area without my friends worrying that they can get into anything. So we can just have coffee while they generally entertain themselves.

We just did the very dangerous stuff- lock on the cellar door, always keeping the kitchen and stairs doors shut, put the computer cables behind the sofa, tied the book cases to the wall. Sounds quite a lot but it was absolutely lethal before! Some things I don't have solutions for yet, but they aren't as dangerous. E.g. She keeps picking bits off her trike wheels but I don't have any other place to keep it other than the sitting room x

We've babyproofed some but there are just some areas that can't be (like the plug-in strip for tv, br player, etc. where and how am I to do that?!?) That will just have to be a "NO!!" area. That's how it was with our son but when he was that age, we lived with in-laws who had a HUGE living room. Our living room is quite small so she'll be going from one "NO!!" side to another in no time :wacko:

May just have to buy a cage for her :winkwink:

We've babyproofed some but there are just some areas that can't be (like the plug-in strip for tv, br player, etc. where and how am I to do that?!?) That will just have to be a "NO!!" area. That's how it was with our son but when he was that age, we lived with in-laws who had a HUGE living room. Our living room is quite small so she'll be going from one "NO!!" side to another in no time :wacko:

That's the sort of stuff I moved furniture for, putting a chair or small table, or something much more interesting like a toy box in front.

That's the sort of stuff I moved furniture for, putting a chair or small table, or something much more interesting like a toy box in front.

She's definately not like our son who didn't get into things and listened from the start. We have things in front of a couple of "NO" areas but we haven't the room to block everything like that. She'll just have to learn there are certain areas you just can't go to. She's young but knows how to throw one heck of a tantrum. When she starts heading to a one of those areas, and sees me, hubby or son going after her, she goes that much faster in an attempt to reach it before we reach her. :haha:

Probably will just sit her in her high chair for times when I have to go to bathroom. I dread putting a playpen up. I'll have to learn how to hop over it to get to my couch :dohh: :haha:

we have a fold-up baby pen, basically a bunch of attachable plastic baby gates that you can make bigger or smaller depending. its set up to span our whole living room. i fold it up and bring with me when we go visiting.

we call it her 'cow pen' :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->