Back to work and Serving expressed milk

Sbmack

Reaction score
Hello! I just went back to work this week. My dd is 3 months. Should I be rotating through frozen milk or just using what I pumped the day before and supplementing with the frozen if needed?

I try to use the frozen milk first as it will go bad eventually.

Yes use the frozen milk first. As baby gets older the milk changes to suit their needs, so a 9 month old shouldn't really be drinking milk suited to a 2 month old.

^^ WSS.

I actually donated my stash before I went back to work, but I have oversupply so I have built one back up. I totally forgot to rotate it along, and now we are rotating it at the end of the 6-month limit. We've actually had to throw out a few :( (Because they were bad, not just because they were 6 months + 1 day or something!)

Thanks! I have a deep freezer so it should last a year, but I will start rotating it through. I've never heard that the milk changes as your baby gets older. Interesting!

I sort of do a combination. I combine half fresh/ half frozen. I know milk doesn't spoil for several months in the freezer, but i don't like to keep anything older than a month or 2. because like others have said, the nutritional content changes to suit your growing baby.

You want your baby eating nutrient rich breastmilk, but it is also nice to have a bit of a stash just in case. I think combining gives you the best of both worlds. so on the days that i work, i freeze half of what i pump and keep the rest in the fridge for the next day.

I rotate my freezer supply every 3 months (if that makes sense)... For all the reasons listed above.

Rotate as the milk is made nutritionally for the age the baby is when pumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->