Big or small babies.

AMB1216

Ethan's mommy
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what causes babies (healthy babies) weight, not like if you smoke or drank during pregnancy or if you deliver premature. But like what decides how big the baby is going to be, is it genes? if so then who's? I was a small baby, my brother and sister were also small babies. I was 7lb8ounces, my brother 7lbs9ounces and my sister 6lbs6ounces. So I'm hoping to have a small baby however on my husbands side, all his siblings were 8 or 9 lbs. My sister in law gave birth to an 8lb almost 9lb little boy and then a 7lb little girl in Febuary. (she was 2 or 3 weeks early)

I'm wondering if my baby will take after me or if it'll take after dad because to be honest, I don't know that I can have a 9lb baby. I'm a small framed girl, and I'm short (4'11) a small baby like 6-7 lbs would be ideal.

but what exactly determines how big a baby will be.

My OB told me it is usually dad's genetics that determine the size of the baby. I was 9-3 and my husband was 9-0 and we had a 10-11 kid, so who really knows ;)

However, research also shows that with the exception of gestational diabetes (the extra sugar makes your baby bigger than normal) your body will not produce a baby that is too big to come out. Your genes also play into the size of the baby :)

I was 6lbs4oz my husband was 9lbs4oz, our son weight 7lbs4oz, I had him at 38&6 so he fell in between :)

I probably would have had a larger baby. I was 8-3 and hubby was 9-9 and Thorrin came 4 weeks early at 6 pounds even. So he probably would have been at least 8 if not 9 if he was full term. (Midwives estimated 8-9 early on)
Well see with this one!

Hubby was 6.12lbs and I was 6.10lbs. Our son was 6.10lbs :) I'm guessing this one will be small! I was told Kallen would have been smaller had I not been on pitocin for 21 hours.

My coworker's pregnant and her fear is having a big baby also since her husband was over 10lbs. lol. I cant remember how much the baby is weighing now but shes carrying pretty big and she was originally due in June they are inducing her Memorial day weekend. lol. She doesnt have gestational diabetes.

But I know I want a big baby. I will probably have one since I am sure I am going to develop diabetes during my pregnancy, my mother did and so did my grandmother. My boyfriend also tells me he wants this baby to come out as big as possible lol so he wont drop it. smh (First time parent fears :blush:.) I love a little chunky baby also!

I was 5-6lbs, both my brothers were 7-8 (both born before me). My son's dad and brother were both over 9lbs when born. My son was 7lbs13.5oz and born at 41 weeks. I was so worried about having a 9lb baby too lol.

I love tiny babies, well I love all babies in general but especially little itty ones. I think if they think it'll be a bigger baby I'll ask for a C Section. Like My husband has a HUGE head, so I'm afraid of the baby having a big head as well. I forget what his hat size is but I think its like 8 and 3/4 or something. Its huge xD our nephew (the 9lb baby my sister gave birth to) also has a huge head xD

I am tiny as well! 5'3", and I worry I might have a big baby. I was only 5lbs, whereas my twin brother was 7lbs. He was a chunk, and took up all the room, causing the doctors to not know what I was until I was born :p
Hubby was about 7lbs when he was born, as well as his brother. His little sister was 6lbs, I think. Some numbers might be switched, cuz I don't remember!

I've been paying attention for a long time, usually the babies weight has a lot to do with dads at birth.. not sure why xx

It will also depend on when you deliver since babies do increase in weight considerably in the third tri.

My first was a week early and only 6lb 7 but i can't help but wonder what she would have weighed if she arrived three weeks later :blush:

I think Dad's genes are the main factors as long as baby is full term... My DD head was, ahem, very large (95 percentile) - in fact the HV's first comment was "Ooooh what big head, but of course you would know that." So not funny.. My MIL said to me as soon as we told her - Ohh M had such a big head, good luck...!

But the rest of her was 50th percentile and she weighed 7 lbs 4 at 39 weeks...

Iv heard that bigger babies are easier to deliver than smaller babies. My son was 6lb 12 and had to be delivered by emergency forceps (his hr dropped and wasn't moving down quick enough) and 6 hours, my daughter who was 7lb 10oz was so easy, 22 minutes of labour and 2 minutes pushing! X

I was 6lbs and my mum needed forceps too, hubby was 7lbs something and I think a natural birth. Hoping our little boy will be around 7lb something... :haha:

I think it depends how many you have too, they tend to get bigger the more you have apparently. Our little girl still seemed tiny when she came home. She was 7lb 10 when born but only 7lb 2 when she finally came home from neonatal x

I was over 7lbs and my husband was around 7lbs, then our daughter was 5lb4. She was born 3 weeks early though so I think she was on course to be about 7lbs. My sisters both have boys and they were 8-9lbs, even though both my sisters were smaller than me at birth so the dads must have been the bigger influence on size there.

Bigger is easier ;) get a better grip on i reckon!

I was around 6lb hubby was around 9lb.

My first arrived 4 days late at 8lb 10oz (i gained whopping 4st in last 6weeks!) 10min pushing

My second i went 9 days over, i was bigger my bump was huge was expecting 9lb10oz she was only 7lb 11oz. 15min pushing, i find her more awkward to push out.

I think what you eat/exercise and how much baby gets through placenta is factor too.

I don't know what it is, but I have small babies (5lbs, 6lbs and 7lbs). My husband was nearly 10lbs at birth and I was an average 7lbs 10, so our weights don't seem to have any bearing on how big our kids are at birth. And neither do our heights/weights now.. We're 6ft and 6ft1, with healthy BMIs.

All 3 of mine were below average size at birth but very quickly grew and all of them are now in the 95th+ percentile for height and are average for weight. I don't think a child's birth weight/length is relevant to how big they'll be when they're older!

I have to be monitored this time to make sure this baby is growing on track. Unfortunately due to being tall, my uterus always tends to measure small since it doesn't come up as high in my torso, and my babies are on the small side anyway, so it's a bad combo which worries the midwives/doctors!

I think it's mostly down to genetics, but can't say for sure how exactly. I was around 7-8lbs and my OH was the same. Our first born was a tiny 5lbs 7.5oz and our second was 7lbs 12oz.

My DH was 7lb 1oz, I was 6lb 13oz, our son was a whopping 9lb 3oz, which was considered off the charts for my frame. I have no idea where people get the bigger they are, the easier they are thing from, my DS was a nightmare to deliver, I needed ventouse and forceps, and an episiotomy and lots of stitches, and if this one looks to be big, I'm even considering an elective section, because there is no way I want to go through that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->