Blocked Duct/Mastitis... Help!

firsttime83

Reaction score
I know it is more than a blocked duct because I had chills and a fever last night. I've been feeding LO from both breasts (having issues with both) and it seems to be draining properly now. I still feel like crap though... flu like. I do have a doctor's apt tomorrow for LO anyways, so I will ask the doctor if I need antibiotics, but my flu symptoms aren't getting worse, which is something to watch.

My question is, LO used to feed every 2 - 3 hours... she is 12lbs and just over 2 months. She now is feeding every 3 - 4 hours, which is making me wonder if that's why I am getting milk backup. What is the best way for me to prevent this from happening again and again??

I had that problem when lo was younger. I tried to nurse her more often in different positions because it seemed like it cleared it out more when I was in a different position. The one that helped the most was me over her on all fours with my boob hanging down to her mouth (I know weird!) Eventually my body caught up, but if you are overproducing then cold cabbage leaves will help decrease the supply (and feel good). Hope you feel better! :)

Thanks! I think I do have oversupply. LO has grown like crazy (12lbs at 2 months) and now hasn't been cluster feeding anymore and has slowed down. I asked OH to pick up some cabbage on the way home and he thought I must have been cooking something good for supper!! lol

I know exactly how you feel i swear i think im a pro at plugged ducts and mastitis! I have a major overproduction and all i can say is dont pump! Or your milk will never level out with her feedings. Mine is just now leveling out at 5 months and its only because i stopped pumping for the past couple weeks. huge difference! I have had mastitis 3 times and if you would prefer to get rid of it naturally with no antibiotics then eat lots of raw chopped garlic mixed with really raw honey (that is the brand name of the honey, it has propylis and pollen in it). take it 3 times a day! my fever and breast were feeling better after a day of doing that and keep taking it for at least 2 wks to make sure it doesnt come back. And get an herbal supplement called lecithin take 3x a day to prevent getting plugged ducts. Use lots of moist heat before feeding and massage. Sorry i wrote so much i totally feel for you and have been there. hope this helps! :hugs:

Thanks Bekah... I am feeling a lot better today and my breasts feel a lot softer and not painful.

The only issue I am worrying about now is I popped out to the grocery store before Sadie's bedtime and OH fed her with milk from the fridge. He fed her 4oz and I was able to pump 2 :dohh: The last thing I want to do is end up with not enough supply! Breastfeeding is much harder than I had expected...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->