blood on hpt = positive? Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful chart too!

I never had line's on my blood on stick unless I was pregnant. Some say they have and wasn't pregnant. But, most women always have some hcg in body. Not all ladies though. Maybe they had sine and is what caused the positive tests.

Congratulations

Thank you!!
Well I know all women have less than 5ml in their bodies. Most of the test strips out there only detect 20ml or above.

This test has a higher detection than the one I used in the other pics. I tried this one a couple days ago and got nothing at all, just the control line.

https://i41.tinypic.com/2ld8sxz.jpg

Sorry I posted this twice..lol I don't know how to delete it.

This test has a higher detection than the one I used in the other pics. I tried this one a couple days ago and got nothing at all, just the control line.

https://i41.tinypic.com/2ld8sxz.jpg

I tried this- do you think it's positive? I used blood mixed with a little urine.

I tried with a digital and it was negative.

Attachments

• IMG_20131122_132312.jpg
    IMG_20131122_132312.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20131122_132318.jpg
    IMG_20131122_132318.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 5
I think it is positive because of other symptoms i'm having too. The first pics of the wondfo's I mixed blood and a little water but the last pic was just plain blood and nothing else. Try just blood and see how it does.

I am one of those unlucky people that gets positive tests with blood on wondfos. I took it in to the nurse at my obgyns office last month, they decided to run my hcg and it came back less than one. :(

I really really hope this is for real for you. I wold wait until positive pee however before you contact your GP.

I decided to give it a try and got this
[IMG]https://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/Icca19/IMG_20131122_030315.jpg[/IMG]

I get positives with blood every single time. Any time of my cycle. I tried this 3 cycles in a row and never got a positive with urine. This does not work! I have a friend that never got a line with blood and she was actually pregnant.

Some people will get false results just like with any other test...The NIH says it works and if you were in an ER and they did that test on you wouldn't you believe it? Just because it doesn't work for a few doesn't mean it doesn't work!

Here's their study and a link to the study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21875776

J Emerg Med. 2012 Sep;43(3):478-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.05.028. Epub 2011 Aug 27.
Substituting whole blood for urine in a bedside pregnancy test.
Fromm C, Likourezos A, Haines L, Khan AN, Williams J, Berezow J.
Source
Department of Emergency Medicine, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11209, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Point-of-care testing for rapid detection of pregnancy in women of reproductive age is common practice in the emergency department. Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood.
STUDY OBJECTIVES:
We assessed the validity of using whole blood to detect pregnancy using a point-of-care hCG assay by comparing it to a laboratory quantitative serum hCG assay as the criterion standard.
METHODS:
A convenience sample of female patients of reproductive age (18-51 years) submitted 5mL of whole blood, from which two drops were immediately applied to a point-of-care hCG kit, with results recorded at 10min. The remainder of each whole blood specimen was sent to the hospital laboratory for the criterion-standard quantitative serum hCG assay. The criterion standard for a positive pregnancy test was defined as quantitative serum hCG≥5 mIU/mL. Investigators performing the whole blood test and laboratory technicians performing the quantitative serum assay were blinded to one another's results.
RESULTS:
There were 633 patients enrolled, with a mean age of 30 years (± 7.7 years); 34% of the patients were pregnant. Overall, the whole blood pregnancy test was 95.8% sensitive (negative predictive value 97.9%), whereas the urine test was 95.3% sensitive (negative predictive value 97.6%); the specificity and positive predictive value of both tests was 100%.
CONCLUSION:
Using a standard point-of-care qualitative hCG immunoassay kit, whole blood may be used for rapid detection of pregnancy with similar, or greater, accuracy than urine.
Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
PMID: 21875776 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I tried this- do you think it's positive? I used blood mixed with a little urine.

I tried with a digital and it was negative.

Looks positive but at same time hard to tell if has color? blood usually positive before urine.

I get positives with blood every single time. Any time of my cycle. I tried this 3 cycles in a row and never got a positive with urine. This does not work! I have a friend that never got a line with blood and she was actually pregnant.

Some people will get false results just like with any other test...The NIH says it works and if you were in an ER and they did that test on you wouldn't you believe it? Just because it doesn't work for a few doesn't mean it doesn't work!:growlmad:

Here's their study and a link to the study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21875776

J Emerg Med. 2012 Sep;43(3):478-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.05.028. Epub 2011 Aug 27.
Substituting whole blood for urine in a bedside pregnancy test.
Fromm C, Likourezos A, Haines L, Khan AN, Williams J, Berezow J.
Source
Department of Emergency Medicine, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11209, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Point-of-care testing for rapid detection of pregnancy in women of reproductive age is common practice in the emergency department. Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood.
STUDY OBJECTIVES:
We assessed the validity of using whole blood to detect pregnancy using a point-of-care hCG assay by comparing it to a laboratory quantitative serum hCG assay as the criterion standard.
METHODS:
A convenience sample of female patients of reproductive age (18-51 years) submitted 5mL of whole blood, from which two drops were immediately applied to a point-of-care hCG kit, with results recorded at 10min. The remainder of each whole blood specimen was sent to the hospital laboratory for the criterion-standard quantitative serum hCG assay. The criterion standard for a positive pregnancy test was defined as quantitative serum hCG≥5 mIU/mL. Investigators performing the whole blood test and laboratory technicians performing the quantitative serum assay were blinded to one another's results.
RESULTS:
There were 633 patients enrolled, with a mean age of 30 years (± 7.7 years); 34% of the patients were pregnant. Overall, the whole blood pregnancy test was 95.8% sensitive (negative predictive value 97.9%), whereas the urine test was 95.3% sensitive (negative predictive value 97.6%); the specificity and positive predictive value of both tests was 100%.
CONCLUSION:
Using a standard point-of-care qualitative hCG immunoassay kit, whole blood may be used for rapid detection of pregnancy with similar, or greater, accuracy than urine.
Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
PMID: 21875776 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I'm just wondering if you actually read the link you're posting?

"Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood."
"STUDY OBJECTIVES:
We assessed the validity of using whole blood to detect pregnancy using a point-of-care hCG assay by comparing it to a laboratory quantitative serum hCG assay as the criterion standard."

You aren't using the same type of tests this study is, so therefore this study proves absolutely nothing when compared to what you are doing. Apples and oranges. That's a combo test, made for serum and urine, whole blood contains serum. You are using a urine test with whole blood, not the same thing.

I'm just wondering if you actually read the link you're posting?

"Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood."
"STUDY OBJECTIVES:
We assessed the validity of using whole blood to detect pregnancy using a point-of-care hCG assay by comparing it to a laboratory quantitative serum hCG assay as the criterion standard."

You aren't using the same type of tests this study is, so therefore this study proves absolutely nothing when compared to what you are doing. Apples and oranges. That's a combo test, made for serum and urine, whole blood contains serum. You are using a urine test with whole blood, not the same thing.

No YOU are not reading it correctly! The whole blood sample was applied to a typical point of care hcg test (which is a urine hcg) then the remainder was sent to the lab for serum testing....

"A convenience sample of female patients of reproductive age (18-51 years) submitted 5mL of whole blood, from which two drops were immediately applied to a point-of-care hCG kit, with results recorded at 10min. The remainder of each whole blood specimen was sent to the hospital laboratory for the criterion-standard quantitative serum hCG assay. The criterion standard for a positive pregnancy test was defined as quantitative serum hCG≥5 mIU/mL. Investigators performing the whole blood test and laboratory technicians performing the quantitative serum assay were blinded to one another's results."

Really? How about you quote where it says it's a urine test. It clearly says "Point-of-care testing for rapid detection of pregnancy in women of reproductive age is common practice in the emergency department. Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood " so that wouldn't be a "typical" test. They didn't run to a dollar store or order Wondfo online. This is a point-of-care hCG kit (doesn't say urine test at all...pretty sure they would've mentioned that little tidbit), and if it was strictly a urine test, they wouldn't have felt the need to mention it being validated for urine and serum, because THAT wouldn't apply to the test being performed.

You have been snappy with anyone who doesn't go along with what you believe to be true, on this site and others. The test is inaccurate whatever way you wanna spin it. If you want to quote things as being true, make sure you follow the same procedures.

Btw, I work in emergency medicine, both an ambulance and a hospital, the tests are combo tests.

no matter what the test, In an Ob doctors office or even in the ER we will not consider that a pregnancy finding for reason there is alot of false positives. The only tests that we consider to look for pregnancy is Urine and the regular blood pregnancy. This is more for fun and everyone can have fun and see what it does....think that is why the thread is so long LOL

if i double posted im so sorry...i kind of got turned around if staff finds the double post in here as im unable too, please delete it

thank you

Really? How about you quote where it says it's a urine test. It clearly says "Point-of-care testing for rapid detection of pregnancy in women of reproductive age is common practice in the emergency department. Commercially available rapid human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) immunoassays are validated for use with urine and serum, but not whole blood " so that wouldn't be a "typical" test. They didn't run to a dollar store or order Wondfo online. This is a point-of-care hCG kit (doesn't say urine test at all...pretty sure they would've mentioned that little tidbit), and if it was strictly a urine test, they wouldn't have felt the need to mention it being validated for urine and serum, because THAT wouldn't apply to the test being performed.

You have been snappy with anyone who doesn't go along with what you believe to be true, on this site and others. The test is inaccurate whatever way you wanna spin it. If you want to quote things as being true, make sure you follow the same procedures.

Btw, I work in emergency medicine, both an ambulance and a hospital, the tests are combo tests.

Whatever you say dude...and I'm snappy only with people who try to push only their opinions on others.

You seem to have the problem with people who disagree with you.

AND I'm not trying to get people to go along with what I am saying...I'm simply showing what the NIH has said not something I made up.

BTW they did not say it was a combo ..don't YOU think they would've mentioned it that little tibit?? Additionally qualitative hCG immunoassays simply measure IF hcg is present as do the home pregnancy tests.

Why don't you go through this thread and count the number of proven positives and negatives if you're so sure I'm wrong :)

My count says it works ;)

I'm not being snappy just saying :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

"for use with urine and serum" is a combo test, and it did mention the test was for use with urine and serum. I can't break it down any further, what are you not grasping here? Its great that you want to quote the nih, fantastic, but you aren't testing with the same tests as they are so you can't use their study to back up what you are doing.

Geezus, I didnt say it didn't work, I said it isn't accurate. As did others, in which you snapped back at them. You need to learn how to read and comprehend...just sayin'!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"