BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Sounds like Olivia and Halen are doing fab xx

I offer Olivia plain organic yoghurt, sometimes I mix it with fruit or fruit paste. Olivia cant get enough off the stuff.

I am taking Olivia to be weighed tomorrow so hopefully she has gained some too as she is eating much more than the last time I took her.

Way to go, Aisling!! That is fantastic!! :yipee:

I think "organic" sugar just has to do with the way it is grown. There are strict regulations on pesticide use, fertilizer use, and other such interventions. TBH, that is the only difference between normal things and organic things. But it is very hard to become certified organic. It takes like 8 years of strict regulations to let the soil get back to a more natural state without any additives or chemical interventions.

Today is our first day of BLW lunch at daycare. FX it goes well! It going well this week will be the make or break of being able to continue it there! TBH, I am really nervuos! :blush:

TL - hope your lunchtime goes well :)

LO has definitely been swallowing - little bits of red and yellow pepper in his nappy today :happydance:
We had fish pie with potato brocolli and carrot for dinner. LO had already tackled half a pear an hour earlier but he tucked in to some carrot, potato and brocolli. I cleaned up a bit of haddock (took of the sauce coz it was a ready meal & I worried about salt) adn he had that too.

Glad its going well for everyone!

TL How was it at day care?

We had stir fry tonight...first time for meat and noodles for Joshua. He loves the noddles and managed them much better than I thought he would. Seems to be really getting into it the past few days

:happydance: SUCCES!!! :happydance:

Otter sat down at the table with the 1 year olds, I put his food in front of him, and he went to town! There were 3 caregivers in the room, all watching him intently like they were sure he was going to choke and turn blue any second. But he just ate and ate like a pro! Finally, the Boss Lady starting commenting "Wow, he's doing so well. And that way he can get use to tastes... and textures... wow..." :happydance:

The biggest challenge was for him to understand what his food and his space was - he kept reaching for the other kids' food, too! :haha:

Afterward I nursed him and rocked him to sleep. Boss Lady came by and commented again how well it went and how impressed she was.

I am so proud of my little man! :smug:

Score one for BLWing!!! :wohoo:

I got my bible back and checked re: overeating -- not sure if anyone else did yet? It was mentioned a bit back.

It doesn't say anything about it being possible to eat too much. It just advises not to pressure them to eat more. It also said if they finish, offer them more (or something different) until they stop eating. :shock: Personally, I think there are common sense limits in that! If a baby is eating an adult sized portion, surely that is enough??? :confused:

Wow, well done Otter! Sounds like he made you a super proud mummy today!
xx

So, who uses suction bowls and how useful are they? I was thinking it might help for things like yogurt or other stuff he might dip things in????

That's great TL!! :happydance: It's been a great day for BLW despite certain people elsewhere claiming we're trying to get our babies to grow up too fast :wacko:

I have a suction mat but our wooden table isn't varnished to a gloss so it doesn't stick - can't help sorry!

I spoke to the HV today about overeating and she told me not to worry as long as she's being offered healthy food and not chocolate or take away or anything silly. For Aisling, she had always been on 50th centile until she stopped putting on weight between 4 and 6 months and the HV seems to think she's just catching up with herself and will probably even off once she reaches the 50th centile again, not sure how much truth there is in that :shrug: As you say TL, I think there's a certain amount of common sense involved, I'm not going to offer Aisling more for breakfast any time soon.

After I posted last time LO was still at the table with DH - and he ate more!! DH also dipped his empty spoon in the cheese sauce which I was annoyed about until I saw what G managed!

Anyway the spoon went in the right way round, then he pulled most of the sauce off; there was a bit left so he pushed the bowl of the spoon in his cheek and tried to get it, he still couldn't so he pulled the spoon out and licked it clean!!! I was amazed!

DH did still get a salt lecture though

whats everyones thoughts on the 'reduced sugar' farleys?

his is y i ask: SIL gave kian some short bread (all her boys were having biscuits and Kian was trying to steal them...short bread was the 'healthiest' option in the tin apparently!) he mostly mushed it up and got it across his face but then an hour later he had a rash on his face. i'm not sure y bcoz he's had some egg b4 and bread (which contains similar things to short bread) and yogart (dairy) with no reaction so not sure whats in the short bread that gave him a rash? could it just b sensitive skin? i remember putting mayo on my face once (yes i know that sounds weird but its a long story!) and i got a rash from it even tho i have no allergies to any of the things in it. i can eat it fine..i just can't wear it apparently!
So anyway i told MIL 2day (coz K was spending the day with her) not to give him anything like that and to stick with veg, fruit etc coz i'd like to monitor his eating more incase he gets the rash again...MIL doesn't fully 'get' BLW even tho we keep explaining it (OH is gonna have a proper chat with her abt it now we've properly started) so she went and bought him some farleys for when the rest of the kids get biscuites etc (personally i wish she just didn't do the typical nan thing with treats but i s'pose BLW means if everyones getting them Kian should get something). i'm not sure what i feel abt them tho...even tho these ones have less sugar than normal ones i still don't like the amount in them. MIL was assuring me they say they r suitable for all ages (*rolls eyes at baby food packaging*) and she especially picked 'reduced sugar'. Apparently Kian did love it tho. does anyone else use them? is there something else biscuity that doesn't have so much sugar in? i might have a go at making my own sugar free oat cakes or something..anyone know any recipes?

I think making your own is a good option. I don't know the particular brand you are referring to (must be a UK thing).

I have bought some of these for Otter:

https://www.earthsbest.com/products/product/2392390015

They don't have added refined sugar, but they do have "natural" sugar sources (cane juice and molasses). I don't give them to him often, but I figure a couple a week won't hurt when he really wants to chew something.

I would feel the same about a gran giving him something like this -- if other kids are getting something, Otter should get something similar so he doesn't feel left out. I would just provide an option I was happy with (like I would give her a box of these).

Most people I know used to eat rusks when they were little...did them no harm! INfact they keep trying to get me to get Jacob some just so they can eat them...but tbh feel similar to how you do..maybe now and again it's not such a big deal? If the other children are having a biscuit...then it doesn't seem fair to leave him out!

In a 'traditional weaning' book my mum bought me...there's something in there about making rusks...you cut a slice of bread into sticks/fingers and bake in the oven for an hour...and you can put marmite or something on it if you like...no idea what they'd be like though! Or you could look up some baby biscuit type recipes (without sugar, salt etc) and then you'd have a healthy option which you could provide for him!

ooo sorry just saw you were thinking about oat cakes...also in this puree book :dohh: they have a recipe for apricot oaties, not tried them but here's the recipe if you want it -

150g (5 1/2 oz) oatmeal
1/4 tsp bicarb. soda
1tbsp sunflower oil

45g (1 1/2 oz) soft and ready to eat dried organic apricots (about 6)
75ml (2 1/2 fl oz) boiling water

1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4
2. Put the apricots and measured boiled water in a pan. Bring to the boil then reduce head and simmer for 6-8 mins. Puree in blender :)dohh:)
3. Put the oatmeal in a mixing bowl and stir in the bicarb. soda. Add the purred apricots and stir well, then stir in the oil.
4. Add the water a tbl spoon at a time to form a dough. Allow the dough to rest for a fre mins.
5. Sprinkle your work surface with oatmeal to prevent the dough sticking, and roll the dough out to a thickness of 5mm (1/4 in). Cut into about 15 sqaures.
6. Place on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins.
7. These oaties will keep in an airtight container for up to a week - if they last that long!

*phew*

Aww well done George! :happydance:

purple_socks we don't give Halen rusks, too much rubbish in there IMO

fantastica I will give that recipe a go thanks :thumbup:

Heres Halen eating banana and yogurt on a pre-loaded spoon, he didn't pay much attention to the banana lol and he kept smacking himself with the spoon! But he's getting better and getting it almost everytime in his mouth, sucking all the yogurt off so quickly then offering me back the spoon for more :yipee:

https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/kinky_jlee/th_007.jpg

Aww well done George! :happydance:

purple_socks we don't give Halen rusks, too much rubbish in there IMO

fantastica I will give that recipe a go thanks :thumbup:

Heres Halen eating banana and yogurt on a pre-loaded spoon, he didn't pay much attention to the banana lol and he kept smacking himself with the spoon! But he's getting better and getting it almost everytime in his mouth, sucking all the yogurt off so quickly then offering me back the spoon for more :yipee:

https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/kinky_jlee/th_007.jpg

ooo sorry just saw you were thinking about oat cakes...also in this puree book :dohh: they have a recipe for apricot oaties, not tried them but here's the recipe if you want it -

150g (5 1/2 oz) oatmeal
1/4 tsp bicarb. soda
1tbsp sunflower oil

45g (1 1/2 oz) soft and ready to eat dried organic apricots (about 6)
75ml (2 1/2 fl oz) boiling water

1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4
2. Put the apricots and measured boiled water in a pan. Bring to the boil then reduce head and simmer for 6-8 mins. Puree in blender :)dohh:)
3. Put the oatmeal in a mixing bowl and stir in the bicarb. soda. Add the purred apricots and stir well, then stir in the oil.
4. Add the water a tbl spoon at a time to form a dough. Allow the dough to rest for a fre mins.
5. Sprinkle your work surface with oatmeal to prevent the dough sticking, and roll the dough out to a thickness of 5mm (1/4 in). Cut into about 15 sqaures.
6. Place on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins.
7. These oaties will keep in an airtight container for up to a week - if they last that long!

*phew*

ooow thank u! thats great!:thumbup:

jayleighann: thats so cute! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back