BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I think tinned tuna is safer than fresh because the tinning process removes some of the pollutants. I'll see if I can dig out some actual written info later - when I have both hands

Thanks girls, it's really good to know this thread is here for support! I am lucky that I don't have to go back to work till LO is 11 months so it doesn't really matter what other people think in the end of the day i will be the one looking after him so I will decide! It's just annoying that any casual comments I make about how Thomas is feeding/sleeping/etc seem to lead to lots of ridiculous and unsolicited advice about what i'm doing wrong, LOL

well i got the baby led weaning book the other day and havent been able to put it down!!

its so interesting isnt it, and makes so much sense!

eden has had yoghurt this morning she ate a whole bowl of it, although i think about 1/4 of it was smeared over her face and bib lol(see pic!), shes also had toast, lettuce, sweet potato wedges, pepper, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, banana, apple, cucumber and a suck on some cheese.

shes absolutely loving it, when i sit her in her seat at the table and put a bowl in front of her she shakes with excitment trying to get the bowl!!!

Did a little search on tuna and found these quotes - I ha to copy and paste coz I don't know how to quote other sites. tinned tuna is a bit safer but not for the reason i thought!

Canned tuna generally has lower mercury levels than other tuna because tuna used for canning are smaller species that are caught when they are less than one year old.
from new south wales food authority

but also this

Since children get most of their mercury from canned tuna, it is important for parents to limit their children's consumption to less than one ounce of canned light tuna for every 12 pounds of body weight per week, in order to stay below the level of mercury the EPA considers safe. That means that a child who weighs 36 pounds should not eat more than 3 ounces (half a standard-sized can of chunk light tuna) per week. Children should avoid albacore or white tuna because the levels of mercury are higher.
from natural resources defence council

I think small tastes should be fine but I'll keep it to a once a week for canned and once a month for fresh

My mum is in trouble! we went to hers for lunch today and I took rice cakes, hummous and a soya yogurt. My mum decided that although he was doing well sucking them off the rice cakes, she wanted to spoon feed him! Halen was so lazy and just sat there sucking it off the spoon she was offering. I was not amused!

Ewww...I made the biscuits I posted the recipe for and :sick:!!! Although did use fresh apricots and no baking soda...but still! The dough was like glue..but worse...and now they're cooked they're just so dry it's awful! haha...so wouldn't reccommend them!!

Oh how annoying Jayleigh ..hate that they do that!

Had to tell my Mum and sister off today ... my sister had backed some chocolate cakes and was offering them around. Jokingly she held it in front of joshua and he stuck his hand in the tub and took one out. I said take that off him please. But no he moved it to his mouth louder and firmer' He is NOT having it, take it off him NOW'
They did and then went 'Mean Mummy...not u have to give him something.'
'No i bloody don't he's had his lunch'

Grrrrr! Bloody chocolate cake are they insane! All they do is go on about giving him chocolate and chocolate biscuists blah blah blah. I'm not adverse to it, we gave him a taste of white chocolate but not chocolate cake with chocolate icing! *shakes head*

Anyway on a happier note we did really well today. I have some cubes on parsnip in my freezer from a while ago that needed eating so he had three cubes of parsnip. SOme crust off my sisters sandwich then a breadstick...most he's eaten.
Breakfast he ate loads of rice krispies then at tea he ate two new potatos, some runner beans, some brocoli and a whole pear!

I was soo impressed! He also didn't ask for his afternoon bottle today :)

Kirsten, really hope freya feels better soon, that norovirus is horrible :hugs:

FSMummy, the twins sounds like they're doing great!! Really don't worry about them sometimes not being interested, it comes and goes with them all and they'll get there in their own time :thumbup:

Polaris, welcome to the thread! It's great that you're looking at BLW too, we'll probably have the only 2 Irish babies doing it! None of my family or friends have heard of it so they all think I'm completely insane :wacko: Just stick to your guns when it comes to weaning, you'll know when the time is right.

Lucy_lu - I'm officially known as mean mummy these days, I just don't care anymore! MIL gave Aisling one of those big tubes of milky way buttons for xmas and couldn't believe it when I said she wasn't having any of them. Luckily the dog stole them and ate them before the argument progressed! I did let Aisling have a small bit of chocolate sponge cake the other day with the icing scraped off because we were all having it for desert and I figured part of BLW is them being offered the same as us within reason. She wasn't interested though, spat it out and ate parsnip instead :lol:

Claire, it's great when they ignore things that aren't great for them isn't it - hopefully it'll continue on til they're older.

Aisling seems to be having a carb addiction at the moment. Last night she had toast with bolognaise sauce on top and she ate every last shred of bread and didn't bother with the leftover sauce. Today we had tomato and mushroom pasta bake - she made sure to get all the pasta, even picked some mushroom off so she could just have the pasta :lol: She's loved pasta and bolognaise in the past, I can only guess that at the moment her body really needs carbs? I'm just glad she has the choice :D

We're terrible mean aren't we?!
Oh yeah I understand giving some if you are all eating it, but none of us wanted the cake so why would he need it! I gave him a tiny bit of trifle at xmas cos we had it! But he was't interested!

aisling must need her carbs :D Its nice that they can pick what they want/need :D

I'm a totally mean mummy and proud of it!

That's one aspect of BLW we don't follow. We don't give Ruby pudding when we're having it. We give her bits of fruit and she doesn't realise/care that she hasn't got the same as us.

I'm a totally mean mummy and proud of it!

That's one aspect of BLW we don't follow. We don't give Ruby pudding when we're having it. We give her bits of fruit and she doesn't realise/care that she hasn't got the same as us.

I quiet like being a mean mummy ha ha MIL sulked for days cause I ate Halen's chocolate he was bought for xmas. Despite the fact he's dairy intolerant, chocolate is full of sugar and bad for you, he should still have some apparently?? :wacko:

rubys an irish baby too.. well northern irish but that counts right??

i made lentil croquettes tonight, they were lush and ruby DEVOURED them!!!

recipe..
175g tinned or dry lentils
1 egg yolk
2tsp butter
1 garlic clove
1tsp ground cumin
1 beaten egg
flour for dusting
wholemeal breadcrumbs (2 slices worth)
1tsp oil ( i used groundnut oil)

basically just cook the lentils, drain & cool, add egg yolk butter garlic & cumin & mix (should be sticky)
shape into little firm sausage shapes, & if possible chill for 30mins (not essential but helps them stick together..)
roll in flour, dip in egg & roll in breadcrumbs, 'fry' off in the oil until golden brown, drain on kitchen paper & serve!!
enjoy!!

yeah they were good.. i enjoyed them, think i might put a bit more garlic in next time, but they were pretty tasty anyway..
they stayed pretty hot in the middle for ages tho, so you might want to allow a fair bit of cooling time..

Oh I'll try them for dinner tomorrow :thumbup: I'll make them for lunch then put them in the fridge till dinner

Ewww...I made the biscuits I posted the recipe for and :sick:!!! Although did use fresh apricots and no baking soda...but still! The dough was like glue..but worse...and now they're cooked they're just so dry it's awful! haha...so wouldn't reccommend them!!

:haha: maybe dried fruit would make it better?:shrug:

I get the 'mean mummy' comment 2...doesn't bother me tho coz Kian still likes me! :tease:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Will try the lentil thing, sounds nice!

For any veggies...do you give your LO 'fake meat'...is it ok to use soya mince or something?? Pretty sure an HV I spoke to said not to for a while...but they don't always know best ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->