BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Kians had quorn (i'm not veggi but we do have veggi meals a lot)
i don't see what the problem is...is it like when the say not to give meat until 7months or something? its N/A to BLW.

Kians had quorn (i'm not veggi but we do have veggi meals a lot)
i don't see what the problem is...is it like when the say not to give meat until 7months or something? its N/A to BLW.

Thats a point, we bought organix rice cakes and they said 7m+??? I bunged em in the trolley anyway!

Halen also had veggie sausages. We're not veggie but eat a lot of veggie foods

Wow! Chatty in here!!

Sounds like everything is going fab, though. Except poor Kirsten! Is everyone sick then?? :(

Polaris -- if you don't want to feed Thomas before 6 months, don't. I got comments about Otter all the time about how hungry he was and how he needed solids as he was so big. Especially as he STILL isn't sleeping through the night. Tough. I still did what I wanted.

Speaking of, we had lunch out today. He was so fussy waiting for food that DH handed him the lemon slice from his iced tea. Otter devoured it! :shock: Neither one of us could believe it. :dohh:

Later he had a piece of ham stuck in his mouth that he was sucking on, no hands. :haha: He was loving it. But then noticed the toast in front of him and decided that looked good, too. So he grabbed the toast and couldn't figure out why he couldn't get it in his mouth -- well, because you have a mouth full of ham, silly boy!! :rofl:

TL: Kian tries to stuff everything in at once...he also tries to pick everything on his tray up without putting anything down but then bits fall back out his (really full) fists... Its a never ending game! its quite funny to watch :p

Aww TL thats so cute! Halen picks things up individually, but he picks one piece up, sees something else, chucks the first bit and then looks for it like "umm where did that go?"

lol @ the funny babies!

i had a go at making some 'jam' for Kian the other day. I pureed fruit and put it in a ice cube tray and froze it so it wouldn't go off (obviously jam with no sugar as no perservative so will go off b4 i could use it all)-i had an insight into the world of TW...its hard work if u've gott do that for very meal! anyway i get a little lump out, microwave and use it on toast or this morning i stuck a lump in kians porridge which a)cooled it down b4 mine went cold and b)meant it defrosted without much effort.

i made apple and plum which is a bit sour...maybe wait til the plums r slightly over ripe. and i baked a pear with cloves then blended that.

i'm gonna make a few veg ones 4 his rice cakes.

You can get 100% fruit spread, sweetened with fruit juice only. I get the strawberry one (St Dalfour is the make, I buy it in Waitrose but other shops prob do it) and I find it nicer than regular jam. Of course making your own is great but just thought I'd mention it!

Oh and I'd like your opinions again please!

Ruby eats a lot of carbohydrate food like toast and sweet potato, and by the time she's done eating that, she doesn't want the fruit that I usually offer her after. She's either full or fed up. Should I give her the fruit first do you think?

I'd try giving her fruit first, but I wouldn't be overly worried about it hun, GR says babies know what they need :shrug:

Saying that, Halen downs a full pot of yogurt in one sitting, which seems a lot to me lol, plus what ever he's eating such as rice crackers/oat cakes

You can get 100% fruit spread, sweetened with fruit juice only. I get the strawberry one (St Dalfour is the make, I buy it in Waitrose but other shops prob do it) and I find it nicer than regular jam. Of course making your own is great but just thought I'd mention it!

Sainsburys sell it too- in 4 or 5 flavours.

I get the fruit spreads as well as making my own stuff, mainly to give her a variety of flavours. We've done the strawberry and cherry shop bought ones and I do a mix of apple and pear with cinnamon and apple, pear and blackberry. I've only seen those flavours in the pureed fruit pots which look disgusting :sick:

Purple, I used to do all my own purees before switching to BLW and you're right, it's a massive pain, so glad I'm not doing that anymore!

Claire, maybe offer the fruit at the same time as the carbs, that way she should take what she needs?

I've been trying to offer a bit of each 'food group' at each meal so he usually gets some carbs, some fuit or veg and something like meat, fish or quorn (not always obviously but it seems to b working out that way most of the time atm)...he always goes 4 the carbs more than anything else. i dunno if its coz he finds them easiest to eat/pick up/generally handle or because he 'needs' them more?

maybe just offer fruit at the same time as the rest of the meal rather than at the end then she can pick what she wants before she gets full/fed up?

weird thing has happened 2day...Kian woke at 5am 4 a feed, had 8oz and since then has refused anymore milk! thats 8 hours!!! He had some porridge at 7am but i'm pretty sure he didn't eat any (just threw it all over himself)....i'm baffled!

I've been trying to offer a bit of each 'food group' at each meal so he usually gets some carbs, some fuit or veg and something like meat, fish or quorn (not always obviously but it seems to b working out that way most of the time atm)...he always goes 4 the carbs more than anything else. i dunno if its coz he finds them easiest to eat/pick up/generally handle or because he 'needs' them more?

maybe just offer fruit at the same time as the rest of the meal rather than at the end then she can pick what she wants before she gets full/fed up?

Precisely what I wonder about Ruby. At lunch I offered a baked sweet potato cut up, cheese and mandarin segments all put out at the same time. She ate loads of the cheese, a reasonable amount of sweet potato, and hardly any mandarin. So maybe she doesn't need fruit at the moment :shrug: I don't think she's struggling to pick fruit up any more, especially small pieces because she seems to prefer to use a pincer grip to pick food up these days.

Going to have to trust her to get on with it!

I was going to say offer them all at the same time, too. Otter seems to go for his veg the most. Dinner last night was chicken, broc, and cantaloupe. All at the same time. He spent 90% of his time on the broc. :shrug: I dunno if it was the prettiest, the coolest texture or just what he "needed." But I didn't question it too much.

Olivia goes for the fruit or veg first at the moment, depending on what I am offering. I put a selection on her tray now and just let her get what she wants.

Carbs are the last thing she reaches for unless I offer pasta, she doesnt seem to keen on potatoes or bread at the moment and at one point they seemed to be her favourites :wacko:

I think LO is learning how to bite pieces off properly. It happened with bread this morning and red pepper this afternoon :)

He closes his mouth really tightly on them and then pulls hard with his hand; then chews on the bit left in his mouth - so cute!!
It was funny with the red pepper though, the first time it worked perfrct but the second time when he pulled with his hands instead of breaking where he had fixed it in his mouth it broke much further out (where the strip curled round) so he still had loads hanging out of his mouth which really confused him when he started trying to suck it in a bit and chew :rofl:

just wondering is paw ridge porridge oats ok?

ingredients are 100% quaker finely rolled wholegrain oats.
also says may contain traces of wheat and barley due to farming practices :shrug:

what porridge does everyone use???

what porridge does everyone use???

Somerfield's own brand porridge oats or own brand from wherever else I happen to shop! :blush: I figure they're porridge oats, can't imagine how one brand would be much different to another.

thanks lu, thats what i thought.

i figured as long as it doesnt say salt or sugar in the ingredients it should be ok :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->