BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I think G has started to deliberately drop things :shock:
Every time I have tried him with a piece of avocado he picks it up tastes it then drops it over the side of his high chair- this morning he didn't even try it just picked it up, squished and looked at it then swung his arm right out and let go before tackling some crumpet.
I also gave him a spoon with some freebie baby porridge on this morning, th first spoonful he took in chomped for a bit and spat out; then the next spoonful he brought to his mouth, realised it was the same stuff and swung his arm out to drop the spoon over the side of the high chair, the third spoon went the same way without any attempt at tasting but when i changed to spoons of yoghurt he was happy to feed himself.

I have a feeling this may be a sign of things to come. I'll keep offering the avocado but I think I'll go for normal porridge once the baby samples run out

haha ruby drops things on purpose too... she does it becasue she thinks its funny to watch the dog run over & grab it!
ive had to start putting him out of the room when shes eating otherwise she doesnt eat anything!!

just wondering is paw ridge porridge oats ok?

ingredients are 100% quaker finely rolled wholegrain oats.
also says may contain traces of wheat and barley due to farming practices :shrug:

what porridge does everyone use???

we have paw ridge! :thumbup:

what does everyone use to clean LO's hands after before / after they have eaten?
im wary of what to use as shes got them in her mouth so much, but i need something to take away the food residue that maybe water just doesnt do?

I just use warm soapy water, we have started putting a bowl of it on the floor and letting her do it herself and then giving a quick wipe to make sure with the same water. :)

I just use a baby wipe but tbh I don't remember every time :blush:

i use a flannel and warm water to do rhys's hands and face and wipe the highchair down with too and throw it in the bowl end of the day with left over milton water.

rhys has learnt a new trick of throwing food over board drives me insane :wacko: he does it lunchtime because once he's eaten a fair bit of his sarnie i'll give him one of thos chunky organix carrit crisps, he loves them. so i've had to stop buying them as he's too clever think he throws it all over the side he gets to the best bit quicker lol.

i use a flannel and warm water- i wipe his hands and face and then wipe down the tray etc.

Just a couple of quick q's for you BLW gals :)

Firstly, I am a VERY fussy eater and often cook 2 different meals for Shaun and I. If I were BLW, i'm thinking this would be seen as a problem? I have and am constantly trying to address my dislike for lots of foods by trying them but I cannot get away from the fact that I don't like them!! I do not eat ANY vegetables (well apart potatos and raw carrots!).

Secondly, if you offer your LOs exactly what you are eating, if they choose to leave all the "good" stuff and always choose the more unhealthy option, does that just continue and its been their choice to choose that?

Thirdly (and I think lastly, lol), how long did it take your LO to actually do anything with the food? I have subconsciously been offering Imi bits of fruit etc as i eat them for sometime but she NEVER puts them in her mouth, yet if she has a toy, dolly, teething ring etc it goes straight in!

O and 1 more, does BLW always involve being at a table (this seems to be my impression)? The only reason I ask is that we don't have one! We have a breakfast bar which we eat alot of food at but it is not the comfiest place to sit so we sometimes just sit on the sofa or on the floor in the front room (if we have tacos or fajitas or such like as its virtually impossible at the breakfast bar!)! And also, we have a habit of late eating so tend to have our meal when Imi has gone to bed (mainly from DF being self employed and coming in at differing times depending on work!). I'm assuming that wouldn't work as the mimicing thing would not be able to be followed?

Thanks ladies

Um, my daughter attacked the bread that was in the hand of a family friend during dinner. I think she might like BLW after all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhBWKyqstU

Hmmmm.

:)
A

ah adzuki...i love miss M! she cracks me up.

she def looks like a fan of BLW (and not a fan of the bread being taken off her! lol)

Love the video - Miss M is so cute!

Right I think Ruby has started to cotton on to me wanting to 'show off' her eating. Went out to lunch with the other couples we met at antenatal classes, and she wouldn't eat anything!! However the other babies (all born within a month of Ruby, Ruby is the youngest) were all being spoonfed lumpy puree apart from one who ate finger foods well.

However at lunch today she has eaten:
A whole small sweet potato
A big handful of fusilli pasta (twirls)
A whole pear
Sucked the life out of 4 cherry tomatoes!

Quick question from me :) Theakston will put things in his mouth, bite chunks off, chew them, like them, but spits them out. Didn't think he'd swallowed anything at lunch today until we had a breastfeed and he had crumbs up his nose I think and started sneezing/coughing then was sick and brought up some crumbs in his milk. My worry is the nutrient thing, don't they become deficient in iron or something after 6months which is why you start weaning? Is it an issue if he's not 'eating' anything by now? Just worried I'll get grief off the health visitor.

Kitten - I believe that iron stores start to decline at about 6 months but they should still have plenty until at least 9 months. There is less iron in breastmilk than formula or iron fortified cereals BUT it is one of the easiest forms to absorb.

Kitten Ruby was the exact same. It's a stage they go through. Ruby spat everything out until just after 7 months, at which point she started swallowing and never looked back. The iron stores only begin to decrease at 6m, they don't suddenly run out. The iron in breastmilk is much easier to absorb than from other sources anyway.

It sounds like Theakston is right on track.

George was really keen for the first 10days or so - exploring all the food, even seeming to have preferences, swallowing some etc. BUT since Sat lunchtime he's been mostly uninterested other than the lemon from my drink in the pub. He has had a cold so I'm hoping that's why - did anybody else have this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->