BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

i think its all about the timing, if i'm late with rhys's he gets grumpy tired and throws food around more lol he ets angry with it just squeezing it lol.

we went for a curry last nite all the people were staring at rhys in amazement watching him knaw away at a tomato leave the skins and chomping the middle out of cucumber, the he started on my peswari nan bread and rice, everyone was asking me questions and the pregnant lady on the next table couldnt believe how well he used his hands and fingers, like Raf said its alot nicer to go into a restaraunt and not worry what they can have we sat there 2 1/2 hrs and he was good as gold just playing and smiling at everyone. the chef came out they love it when they see young ones eating their food don' suppose they see it very often esp seeing it from a young baby :).

Hey girls caught up on a few posts in here your all doing so great! Lilly is 5 months on sunday when is the best age to start and what would you recomend starting with she's already sucked on bread, apple, tomato and rusk. How do you initiate it into part of a routine. At the moment she's having 5/6 oz every 3 hours and seems to be going sick alot when we bump it up as if its not heavy enough for her to keep down and yet she wants her feed too early alot of the time after 2 hours. Just wondering how you started off.
Thanks.

Can I just ask when is the earliest you'd give your LO some finger foods to suck on?

Can I just ask when is the earliest you'd give your LO some finger foods to suck on?

I started at 5 1/2 months. But that was because we wnated to wait as close to 6 months as possible to start weaning. If you start ealier and they'r not ready, then they just won't eat it. That simple!!! :thumbup:

The reason I ask that is cos Ava now tries to grab food off my plate and even out of my hand and I wondered whether its too early to give her something like a banana to play with?

I'm not sure. She is still very young for things like that! have you tried giving her toys to play with while you are eating? She isn't actually after it as a food at that age. It is just something new to play with, so you may find that she plays with it, then just throws it on the floor!!!

Yeah I think it is too soon, I was just wondering....she ignores all her toys and stares at us whilst we eat but I do know its cos she wants to copy! Thanks Kat, hope Oliver enjoyed his curry! Be all that crawling giving him a good appetite x

Babies will naturally grab things at her age hun :) Its the start of them being ready. She isn't looking for food or nutrition, just exploring the different feeling and textures of what she is holding. I would start having her with you at meal times from around five months. Niamh stared at me eating from just before 4 months IIRC.

We had a BBQ here last weekend and I left Niamh with her Mamó (grandmother). Well I came back and my Mum announced that she's eaten coleslaw, potato salad, a bbq rib.......and a mexican chilli bean burger :shock:

Yes, that nappy was fun the next morning! :rofl:

On the plus side though, my Mum seems really on board now she's seen Niamh feeding herself for almost 2 months now.

Niamh is full swing into everything now. Three proper (ie what I eat!) meals a day since 7 months and she eats everything. Not turned her nose up once! We've had absolutely not problems weaning at all!

Just wondering about some ideas for breakfast. I've tried toast which just gets sucked and goes all floppy and porridge which she wasn't that interested in but stuck for other ideas. Also mashed potato would you just put it on their tray and let them get on with it??

If you want to go down the cereal route you can do anything that's not got added salt / sugar (like weetabix / shredded wheat that sort of thing) or fruit or yogert? Depends how long you have to get cleaned up afterwards. (we haven't started breakfast yet but from talking to others that seems to be the way to go).

We started with Elliot at about five and a half months. If you want to involve your baby in mealtimes I suggest proping them up in a high chair and giving them plastic bowls and spoons and things to play with :D

Im getting really nervous about starting. Thinking about starting next week as shes 6 months on the 24th.

How did everyone start? Did you give them something with every meal or just one meal per day at first?

We just started with tea as that's a less rushed time around here! We're giving a more informal lunch now which tends to be fruit / sandwiches at the moment and we'll do breakfast soon. I'd just start when you've got lots of time so you're not rushed and you've got lots of time to clean up and for baths afterwards :D x

Im getting really nervous about starting. Thinking about starting next week as shes 6 months on the 24th.

How did everyone start? Did you give them something with every meal or just one meal per day at first?

toast is what i gave rhys to start with as it doesnt fall apart he kinda chewed on it rather than eating it if that makes sense, i just gave him a few bits and bobs to have a play with, he had some red pepper and cucumber batons 1st i think

you'll be fine dont worry

x

Does anyone know of a list of things that you're not supposed to give babies? I thought I red somewhere that you shouldn't give quorn but can't find it anywhere.

The only things I'm not giving are honey, peanuts and anything that looks like it might cause choking (like peas).

I think there's some age thing about eggs but I'm ignoring it if there is.

x

rhys had scrambled egg for his tea i think it six months.

i only know the honey one, and i read something about strawberries and allergy's but they are rhys's fave lol they mush up really well.

i avoid salty food as in bacon and smoked fish, there's a list in the bible saying olives, anchovies, crisps etc.

i cant find anything on quorn

x

Hi.. I could do with some help. I've been dabbling with BLW but Billie seems to gag and almost choke on anything! Its made me nervous so I mainly puree her veggies. I want her to start enjoying finger foods. I gave her some toast yesterday but again she started gagging. Has anyone else had this problem? She really loves her grub and I want her to have a bit more variety.

When you say choke, do you mean actually choking or just coughing? Coughing is normal, and how they move food around. They have a much stronger reflex than in adults to keep themselves from choking, so cough a lot sooner than we would.

She's also gagging more because she's used to the texture of puree foods and not finger foods.

more coughing and gagging than choking but it seems to upset her (and me!) She is more used to my purees but we did start off with BLW. Maybe its just not for us :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->