BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

How much puree are you giving her vs solid food? Is there any reason you prefer puree over solids?

Just wondering if because she's so used to it, that the solid textures are unfamiliar and cause her to cough more.

I main reason for going with puree was because of the gagging reflex with solid food. I do leave soft lumps in the purees now. I will persevere and keep giving her solid food at least once per day. I just tried her with some toast again and she gagged so much :( Its weird... sometimes I give her one of organic crisp things and she takes them well. I'm just not that keen on them because although they say 'not junk', to me its still a crisp at the end of the day.

think I'll keep going with the puree (she does love) and keep on trying with solid food aswell.

do you give her milk feed before her food?, i find rhys gags more if he's really hungry as he just rams it in his without concentrating, sometimes i have to take everything off the tray and give him milk. just a thought though, shame if you have to go onto puree.

xx

She generally has milk before but i wait a while so she's peckish enough to be interested.
Like Raf said - gagging is probably normal, its just that I find it quite distressing and I'm watching her ready to pounce incase she starts choking! She does tend to shove quite a lot in her mouth sometimes though.

I take it as being fine if Elliot gags and coughs if it doesn't last long and he carries on quite happily afterwards. Could she be picking up on you being upset which is why she's looking unhappy? Just wondering.. I have to look away from Elliot sometimes so I'm not showing him my anxious face as he puts half and apple in his mouth....

Maybe giving her things like banana that they tend to mush even before they get in their mouth would ease you back in to blw'ing? If you're giving her purees you can still give her the spoon and let her feed herself with it and give her yogert and things dipping the spoon for her and letting her get on with it.

I don't think she should be eating because she's hungry just yet x

Oh, thanks for the quorn thing - I'm wondering if it was soya that I'm thinking of? I read last night that you shouldn't give orange because of the citric acid like you said Helen - but he ate an orange last night (before I read it) and he was fine....! x

rhys loves satsuma's as a treat though really he had pineapple and that gave him a rash round his mouth, i always give him water to have if he wants in his sippy cup, just to get rid of acid and he often finishes a bottle after he's eaten as he usually gets tired and likes a bottle to fall asleep with. naughty i know bit its the only time i get proper cuddle lol he just wants to sit up playing lol

x

is pineapple not good? archie loves it sliced and hapily sits muching away

is pineapple not good? archie loves it sliced and hapily sits muching away

i think so lol, rhys absolutely loves it but he went at it so vigourously lol it gave him a rash, i put some sudocrem and it had gone by morning, he love strawberries and satsuma's and now i'm worrying about acidic content of them:shrug:, i'm off to consult the bible :rofl:

thought id share a pic of archie at teatime, we had celery cucumber and tomato and yummy beef casserole

https://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/archierobert/IMG_0383.jpg

awwww look at him chomping away, people wonder why we get so passionate about blw i just love it :happydance:

rhys had roast beef, yorkshire pudding and brocolli for tea and pear and yoghurt for pudding.

Niamh had vegetable pasta for dinner. She loves sweetcorn :lol:

Well done Archie!!

Everyone is doing so, so well. Well done everyone!!

It's been ages since I spoke on here, so thought I would give a little updated.

Oliver now eats everything. And anything. Literally!!! Yesterday he had chicken korma with brown rice and garlic & corriander nann. Today he had salmon, creme freche tagitelle as well as some left over chicken korma!! he eats any pudding - he even tucked into a bowl of banana, custard and jam roll dessert that my mum made!! Not his usual as soooo bad for him, just a little treat! He picks raisins and peas up individually and can now tackle any food, of any substance!!

He did have a funny patch of a couple of weeks, where he wouldn't eat anything savoury, but he then developed a cold, so I think it was this brewing. Either that or just a phase and soon realised what he was missing out on!!

I hope this helps some of you new starters. I had my rough times when I wondered what the hell I was doing and if this was the right thing - but we've definitely proved it. BLW is the best!!!!!:happydance:

Niamh's started eating with a spoon now too! Well, sort of :rofl: She puts the spoon in the bowl, holds it properly, puts something on the spoon then inverts it, sends everything flying and whacks it in her mouth :rofl: So awhile until she learns to use it properly but the method and intention are there!

Kat, that is BRILLIANT about Oliver :happydance: Well done!

ooooo you just given me an idea 'pasta' what did you do mix the veg in with pasta or was in a sauce you add. i was thinking maybe making a macoroni cheese or something but rhys is still hit and miss with runny stuff and i get so tempted to start spooning it in for him :dohh:

lol rhys get sthe spoon i help load it he holds it up looks at it by the time it gets to his mouth the food has slid down to his fist so he gets frustrated and starts patting the bowl shouting at it lol.

i had angled spoons for rosie they were brill but the only ones i can find are a tenner from amazon i think thats too expensive

Yey for babies eating proper food!!
Ethan has finally decided that solid food is not so bad after all! He tries pretty much everything I put in front of him. I have to be careful with timings - if he's too tired or too hungry then there's no point, everything gets chucked on the floor. Bagels are his favourite for breakfast and after examining melon slices all week he finally ate some this morning! Any kind of pudding gets wolfed down.....guess he inherited mummy's sweet tooth. We are on 3 meals a day and he has dropped one bottle.
There have been many times when I've though about giving in but I'm so glad we've stuck with it, meal times are much happier and eating out is a doddle. So to all the newbies and those thinking about it - it will take time and you will have to be patient but it is so worth it in the end.

ooooo you just given me an idea 'pasta' what did you do mix the veg in with pasta or was in a sauce you add. i was thinking maybe making a macoroni cheese or something but rhys is still hit and miss with runny stuff and i get so tempted to start spooning it in for him :dohh:

I make her pasta just like mine :) I don't cook it in salt water though.

I get (I forget the name) really tightly wound pasta shapes that she can grip easily.

Then I make the sauce separately and add the pasta to the sauce. I didn't use a jarred sauce, but I don't see why you couldn't as long as it was low in salt.

I did...

chopped tomatoes
tomato paste
basil
thyme
oregano

sweetcorn
onion
peas
pepper

Niamh eats mac n' cheese too. What I do is help her get it on the spoon then give it to her so she's feeding herself. Though I do let her get her hands stuck in too :lol:

archie is trying with the spoon i have to load it for him then it gets turned upside down and flicked around the kitchen

will get pics tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->