BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

awww way to go Billie, its great when they start to get the hang of it isnt it

x

i really want to try this but leyla has been weaning for a month now and is on 3 meals a day, im worried that if i try and get her to feed herself she wont eat enough?

can someone help me please :D

x

i had to top rhys up for a week or so while he got into it, its great how they soon pick it up, I had to guide the spoon to rhys's mouth for quite a while but he soon got into it, i just load it and give it to him sometimes he misses other gets it in his mouth straight away.
x

thanks hun, so maybe make twice as much to make up for the bits that go all over the place?

x

ellie i started archie on purees at just over 4 months then at 5 months decided this way was far better, at first i still gave him his puree at mealtimes but also put whatever i wanted him to eat on his tray, i let him play with that and then fed him his veg, but as he ate more and more from his tray i gave him less and less puree, he ets enough at most meals now after a few weeks to not need the puree anymore. they soon pick it up
:)

ooh ok thank you, i made leyla some beef casserole today and she just mashed it all over her tray lmfao, it was stewing steak, boiled sweet potato, broccoli and red pepper...we ended up putting some of it in her mouth just to show her it wasnt a toy lol, which totally defeated the point!! but we did get her to eat some of it lol, i do hope it gets easier as i do like the idea of BLW but atm spoon feeding is so much easier as she will eat anything then lol

x

Evening Girls :wave:

I haven't been on to this thread in AGES! :blush: I need some help so thought I'd come in as you girls are always fab!!! :D

After being SO determined that I was only going to BLW Deri, he got to 5 1/2 months and was waking all through the night to the point where me and OH couldn't take it anymore...no matter how much we said, just give it a bit more time, I caved and started trying Deri on some purees (I can tell you I wasn't happy doing it but we just couldn't take the sleep deprivation anymore :nope:)....I felt a little under pressure from OH, my Mum and his Mum as well, although they didn't say a lot, I just felt like they were thinking I was a bad Mum...like I was starving my little boy :blush:

So...back to the point...Deri has been having purees for the last 3 weeks ish and is just on 3 meals now BUT he won't take anything savoury....thing is, before this (as some of you might remember) I did start putting food solid food in front of Deri from about 4 1/2 months to play with and he only really had veg/salad type food and seemed to like all the tastes :shrug: but pureed veg is a no go.

The more I give him purees, the more of a chore it seems to be and he is grabbing for the spoon, grabbing at the pot with his puree in and turning away from me feeding him. This morning I gave him banana porridge and pieces of actual banana on his tray to see what he did and he was much more interested in the banana than the porridge :happydance:

So...seeing as he seems to need the food now, do I keep going with the purees but introduce finger foods again at all meals and other times and gradually give him less puree as he starts to eat the finger food?

(BTW - I have read most of 'The Bible' so know all about BLW and how it works etc...as I say, I was so dead against purees! :dohh:)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :hugs: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and sorry for the rambling/long post :blush:

I would def give him finger foods with every meal to play with hopefully he will pick it up quick and then you can gradually cut out the purees.

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1114.jpg
https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1115.jpg

Meadow had watermelon for breakfast today :D

like sparks said maybe keep offering the finger foods first follow up with puree for a bit,

Rhys was puree'd fed for nearly 6 weeks before we started blw, he's tongue tied so finds bottles hard work. after a week i ditched puree's and i started on food that mushed easier into his mouth so not much chewing was needed, such as toast, cheesy spread sandwiches, bread sticks, jacket sweet potato cut into wedges, i had to help him with the spooning in of porridge and yoghurts etc.

meadow is a right pro she looks happy with her watermelon

x

Thanks Girls! :D I thought you'd say that. I'm going to give him hs breakfast earlier than normal and offer finger foods first to see how it goes!

Sam - meadow is such a cutie...and looks like she's loving that melon!!!! :happydance: How is the BLWing going? How long have you been giving her food? Do you give her 3 meals per day?

Helen - I watched the video of Rhys last night...how sweet is he??!! And tucking into his food too! :D

In fact all your LO's seem to be doing so well!!

Ellie....are you going to try and switch over to BLW?

x

I have to say Lauriech, that Oliver went through a phase of this. And I think thats exactly what it is - just a phase. It lasted a couple of weeks, then he started eating normally again. I think we just need to go with it when they're like this. He'll soon get bored of sweet stuff and want savoury. Apparently they're quite clever in knowing what their body needs.

laurie - yeh were trying atm, not sure if were doing it right though lmao

this morning for breakfast she had a few bread soldiers, which she wasnt too keen on, she had bread last night and ate it all up so maybe she just wasnt starving lol, i tried to give her some steamed apricot aswell, i cooked it too long though and it went like mush so i tried to give her it on spoon and she wouldnt have none of it lol

will keep trying

x

Billie got a big bit of cheesy toast stuck in her throat earlier - she coughed and spluttered and then sicked it up :cry: Well at least it came out ok. She had the same for lunch two days ago and was fine with it.

When you make toast for your little ones, is it better to be more crunchy than chewy? if that makes sense?

:hugs: bibswy xxx I don't know about what's best toastwise... Elliot has bread and toast so I don't suppose it matters that much for us?

Meadow looks gorgeous!! I'm leaving off giving Elliot melon as dp is allergic to it.

Just gave Elliot baby rice as I've got to give him formula so I thought that'd be a good way of building up to it. It tasted like rice paper. He spooned a lot of it into his mouth though and seemed to like it?! He tried to drink it from the bowl too. Blw'ing is so much more fun!!!

He did put a whole mushroom in his mouth yesterday and I thought I was going to have to pull it out but he knows what he's doing!!!

x

aw princess i hope it gets easier for you and you stick at it the rewards are lovely, have you got the blw book by gill Rapley its really good and i'm always delving into it to keep myself on track.
not sure how i do toast lol it number 4 on the toaster if that helps, i cut the crusts off as well, like i said to you before i give rhys his bottle as soon as he gets up then half to an hour later i give him breakfast about 8:30 i do same with lunch an tea, if he's really hungry he just gets frustrated till i give im abottle anyway.

bibswy glad you didnt panic i'm sure it was a one off, luckily rhys hasnt sicked anything up just coughed a bit of scambled egg up once or twice.

Elm, sounds like your getting on great and Eliott too.

we're going to b'day party tomorrow going to let rhys a free rein and try everything, we're taking his highchair with us.

leyla's just eaten a piece of toast :shock:

she had a bit of a spluttering fit but from wot ive read on here i just held myself down onto the chair and let her cough it up, she coughed it up then swallowed it again :happydance: i looked to see how much she had left and it was all gone!!

:wohoo:

x

We have been doing one meal a day for a week. I do lunchtime because thats when I have the most time. She hasnt eaten anything yet but you can tell shes learning. At first I had to pass her stuff but now she picks them up on her own.

She seems to be interested in a different food every day. The other day she really loved her watermelon but the next she wasnt intrested she wanted the cucumber! Then today she didnt want cucumber she wanted breadstick and sausage!

She breaks bits off of whatever shes eating and then I watch her chewing on it and moving it around her mouth for a while before she spits it out.

Well done leyla for swallowing the toast :happydance: Shes getting the hang of it.

Evening again Girls! :wave:

Thanks for the replies :D

Kat - I know exactly what you mean about babies choosing the foods they need nutrients from. I'm just concerned that he'll only eat certain purees and BLW is much more enjoyable for us Mummies and babies! Not just that though...I think it's is better for the LO's. How is Oliver doing atm?

Sam - glad Meadow is doing well! Are you going to introduce more meals soon?

Ellie - that's fab that Leyla ate some toast! :happydance: Keep going!

Since I posted a couple of nights ago, I introduced finger foods at all meal times and have given Deri four opportunities with finger foods today....thing is, it's blimin hard work with doing purees, finger food and milk feeds and timing them right :dohh: I remember ready early on in the Bible that it said if you've already started purees and want to switch to BLW, then to revert to milk only feeds and up the amount until your baby is eating. Does anyone think I should do this or stick with milk and purees?

x

ive ditched all purees and have upped her milk again, i havent even read that part lol, must just be psychic lmao

its not done her any harm and she seems a lot more interested in the finger food since i cut out the purees 2 days ago :D

x

Excellent - I'm going to try it today and see how it goes. Deri slept really well last night...didn't stir until nearly 6 this morning and then he eventually woke just after 7 :happydance: so....I'm hoping that he doesn't need the purees really as he only had purees at 2 of his meals yesterday.

I'll keep you girls updated! :D

Ellie - glad to hear you're doing well with just the milk too!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->