BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Lol, we never used to either, we have only been doing so since Freya was 4.5 months and started sitting there with us. :)

We never used to either, we've just been doing it for Aisling. We always said when we had children we'd want to sit at the table as a family so we're just starting earlier than most!

we dont either, have you seen the ones at mothercare that turn into a table and chair?

you have to buy a strap and padding seperately but it is pretty cool.

https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42862041&mcb=core#productInfo

ern couldnt reach the tray on his properly,so i folded a blanket up and put it underneath him so now he is a bit higher and can reah the tray easier!

Today for lunch we had cheese on toast,when i gave him some last week he wasnt keen, so today i gave him it how i have it- spread with a bit of tomato puree, a small slice of corned beef then a bit of grated cheese on top.........he loved it and did his very loud "mmmmmmmm" again!!

Think I'll try the folded blanket thing, thanks :)

I had started to get a bit stressed out with BLW. Ruby had a couple of days where she was really grumpy and wouldn't even sit in her bumbo, let alone play with food. I am convinced she's teething. After re reading the 'Bible' I am reassured that she doesn't 'need' solids yet really and I need to chill out and not rush things. Today she was in a better mood, and swallowed a tiny bit of my lunchtime avocado and salsa sandwich, and sucked on a stick of cucumber for ages!

I'm leaving the porridge for now. Ruby just blows raspberries when any gets into her mouth!

Think I'll try the folded blanket thing, thanks :)

I had started to get a bit stressed out with BLW. Ruby had a couple of days where she was really grumpy and wouldn't even sit in her bumbo, let alone play with food. I am convinced she's teething. After re reading the 'Bible' I am reassured that she doesn't 'need' solids yet really and I need to chill out and not rush things. Today she was in a better mood, and swallowed a tiny bit of my lunchtime avocado and salsa sandwich, and sucked on a stick of cucumber for ages!

I'm leaving the porridge for now. Ruby just blows raspberries when any gets into her mouth!

Same here Claire!! Freya had a hold of a few things last week, cucumber, banana, pepper. This week she is teething and hasn't been interested, so I haven't been offering it. I did give her porridge once last week but she didn't swallow any. I am leaving it 'til she has finished with this teething week or so.

:)

It's hard not to get stressed about it :wacko: I do worry because Aisling had been used to having purees so I'm convinced she's starving now that we're BLW! It's obviously easier to be spoonfed than BLW. She'll probably lose weight now and I'll panic! :dohh:

I guess at least I know there is no alternative to BLW for us, as Ruby totally refuses to be spoon fed!

Were the purees even doing much for Aisling's weight gain Lu?

I am getting pressured by my mum to spoon feed Freya as her weight gain has been really slow these last 4 weeks or so. I'm not overly bothered by it as I know it slows down anyway. My mum likes the idea of BLW, she just thinks I should be spoon feeding her aswell. She can't really cope with the idea that Freya may not actually eat properly for another month from now!

Well it made no change at all to her weight for the first 2-3 weeks, then she gained 7 oz in 2 weeks which is unheard of for her. But then in those 2 weeks I started drinking aloe vera which may also have made a difference to my milk. I guess I'm just worried that she was used to eating and all of a sudden she's getting less into her now! I'm sure she'll be fine :D

Hmm, I think my mum is skeptical too. I was reading in the bible that spoon feeding partially can slow down the progression of BLW skills. I can understand why some people are tempted though...

Yeah I can too, there is something inside you that wants your baby to gain weight at a good rate, and sort of gets used to the rate they were gaining 0-4 months, which for Freya was a huge gain (pretty much all of what she weighs now!). I'm thinking as it slows down anyway 4-6 months, then they don't properly start scoffing 'til 7-8 months, it will be slow for quite a while. Plus, they are so much more active.

My mum thinks Freya needs to start gaining faster, and I must admit, the HV was very relieved when I told her I was starting weaning soon at the last weigh in, although I didn't tell her it was BLW cos I don't like her! :rofl:

Kinda would be handy if she drank a bit more milk and maybe didn't roll/squirm/shuffle/jump for every waking minute.

I've just been on a weaning course ran by a hv and I was thinking it was going to be all puree based and I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised!

I had a few questions I was going to ask about BLW and was expecting ripples of dissapproval. But she started talking about it before I even mentioned it. Although she didn't use the term BLW, a lot of the principles were there.

She encouraged making finger foods part of every meal from day 1, letting baby get involved at mealtimes, talked about gagging vs choking, about how food is all about new experiences and not 'filling them' at this stage. I explained I was combining both blw and purees (loading the spoon for him) and she was really encouraging -and we got some spoons provided which are perfect for letting him feed himself as they have a little 'bobble' thing on so he sort of gets it in the right place(can't explain it v well, sorry!)

I was just so pleased that this was being widely encouraged. We got a recipe book too and there's a couple of good recipe for finger foods which I will post later when I dig the book out. Xx

Ta Da! Just got the mothers guide to breastfeeding - issue 8 (with a pump I hired) and it has a section on BLW in it. My mum is coming tomorrow, I will get her to read this, I think she is more likely to listen to what they say in here than what I am telling her! :D

i have been giving dex a spoon with porridge on it. he will not let me feed him with it anyway, he just grabs it and stuffs it in his mouth. Gave him some carrot yesterday and he seemed to like that for a bit and he loves rice cakes. Like I said before I have a BLW DVD if anybody wants to borrow it.

Found out this afternoon that Violet is definately swallowing food now... I almost freaked out until I realised it was carrot and parsnip in her nappy :rofl:

We had the issue of the tray being too high on the high chair as well Claire, so we just padded underneath the seat out. We also need to fold towels up and put them down the side of her otherwise she'll just slump to one side or 'lose her hands' under the tray.

We've had brocolli in the nappy! She was swallowing bits last week, but this week, as soon as anything gets bitten off, she blows raspberries until it's all gone. Sure it's phase though!

I am confused? I havent found any food in Olivia's nappies but she has definately been swallowing some food and her poos have changed and are much more smelly (sorry if tmi) x

She was swallowing bits last week, but this week, as soon as anything gets bitten off, she blows raspberries until it's all gone. Sure it's phase though![/QUOTE

Olivia went through that phase too, loved to spray the high chair, the wall and sometimes me in the food! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->