BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

OMG poor Freya...huge huge :hugs: hun. i agree with what everyone else has said Fantastica....just make a little size portion, leave skin on and just let everyone else know what BLW is and why you are doing it :)

we have just started giving 'proper meals' .....for the past few weeks we have been having picky meals (like veggies and fruit etc) but not a proper meal but recently we started just giving her what we had(or a Daisy safe versionLOL) and its gone down a treat!!!! enjoy hun:)

As for the small stuff like rice, Halen rubs it over his hands then sucks it off, he manages really well without being able to actually pick them up

oooh we havent tried rice yet.....i really fancy a risotto so that might be on the cards tonight yum yum yum :D

Are there any other veggie BLWers here? I'd be interested to know what you're giving protein wise. I know they can't have nuts and as we move forwards I expect there's only so much beans and cheese Saf can eat :) Can I give her Quorn and soya?

As for the small stuff like rice, Halen rubs it over his hands then sucks it off, he manages really well without being able to actually pick them up

That's so cute, Violet is one of the babies who tries shovelling it in.. She ends up missing her mouth and wearing half of it :lol:

Are there any other veggie BLWers here? I'd be interested to know what you're giving protein wise. I know they can't have nuts and as we move forwards I expect there's only so much beans and cheese Saf can eat :) Can I give her Quorn and soya?

We are veggie BLWing, they can have quorn and soya, you have just got to watch out for the salt content. We avoid stuff like quorn sausages, burgers etc but use things like mince, quorn pieces and things like that. We also use lentils, they have got loads of protein in. Soya is fine, we use soya milk and yoghurts.
:)

OMG we had Polenta for lunch......we've never had it before and decided we really should try it.....(we are trying to start to eat alot more healithily and trying new things) well Daisy liked it (cant say loved it cos she didnt shovel it as much as she has done in the past) but we HATED IT!!!!!LOL it had no taste at all and was the weirdest texture EVER!!!!LOL was like a cross between mashed potato with raw mr mash flakes mixed into it ...Rob said it was like Jellyfied Semolina !!LOL.....needless to say we ate the cheese i put on top of it and when Daisy went for her nap rob had a packet of crisps!LOL oh well.....atleast we tried it :haha:

Aww, sorry your dinner was horrible Sara! :lol:

Aisling was going nuts for her dinner tonight, barely breathing between mouthfuls and we just couldn't fill her. Then I realised I'd forgotten to give her her bf after her lunchtime nap - no wonder she was in such a bad mood before dinner! :blush:

I've never had Polenta, not sure I'm going to now! Freya still won't eat proper food, but I offered her a bowl of yoghurt and blueberries around tea time and she went mad for it, ate three bowls, lol! I was amazed how well she was picking the blueberries up, it's so cool how they can progress so much so fast! She wasn't doing that last week and she hasn't even eaten since then!

It was a ridiculous mess though, she was only in a nappy and we were sitting on a sheet on the living room floor :blush: she had purple yogurt and snot all over her, with the odd blueberry stuck to her tummy :rofl: I took a photo, will upload it later :)

Lol Lu!

Can I ask you ladies what you do regarding how much you give LO to eat once they finish what you initially offer..?

Violet had roughly 3 tablespoons of pasta bake tonight.. One big spoonfull to start with but then I had to keep giving her more off of my plate!

I know the whole letting them have control so they stop when they're full and not 'tricked' into eating too much but should there be an upper limit as well, or do we just keep offering until they're full? We've had quite a few times where I've run out of things to give her but thankfully each time, she's had enough by time she finishes the last little bit.

If she keeps this up, we will seriously have to cook her her own little portion as I can't get away with giving her a bit of mine anymore - I end up with such a large chunk missing and I go hungry :lol:

I've never had Polenta, not sure I'm going to now! Freya still won't eat proper food, but I offered her a bowl of yoghurt and blueberries around tea time and she went mad for it, ate three bowls, lol! I was amazed how well she was picking the blueberries up, it's so cool how they can progress so much so fast! She wasn't doing that last week and she hasn't even eaten since then!

It was a ridiculous mess though, she was only in a nappy and we were sitting on a sheet on the living room floor :blush: she had purple yogurt and snot all over her, with the odd blueberry stuck to her tummy :rofl: I took a photo, will upload it later :)

Aww how cute is that!
She's done so well, especially considering she's so poorly. Can't wait to see that pic! :cloud9:

Kirsten, glad Freya's eating again, how's she feeling now?

Faille, I'm in the same position with portion sizes. Aisling must have had 5 or 6 tablespoons of pasta bake tonight and kept wanting more - admittedly my starving her earlier in the day probably played a part! :lol: We're definitely beyond her having some off my plate, she'd just demolish half my dinner. I'm guessing that because they eat quite slowly, they get the full signal when they're meant to so they'll stop when they're genuinely full? I know this in my head but I worry too that she's having too much sometimes.

After the success of the sweet potato and carrot, we tried pear yesterday. He shoved a small slice in his mouth and when he pulled it out he'd bitten off a chunk! Little gum marks and everything, so cute!

After the success of the sweet potato and carrot, we tried pear yesterday. He shoved a small slice in his mouth and when he pulled it out he'd bitten off a chunk! Little gum marks and everything, so cute!

I love it when you can see the gum marks, looks like a little mouse or something has been at it!

Kirsten sorry Freya is feeling poorly :( Glad she liked her yoghurt though.

I have started to worry Ruby is eating too much and we don't let her go on and on eating. I know you're meant to let them decide but she's suddenly been constipated when she has never been before...not sure whether that means she's eaten too much though!

I definitely have to do Ruby her own portion of food these days.

Hi Girls!!

I know its very early but I'm going to be gradually joining you on this thread.

George has been sitting with us at the table the last week or 2, on Sunday he grabbed the end of my toast and started gnawing it. He is constantly grabbing at our food and finds them much more interesting than his spoon or toys; he's good at holding himself upright etc. After reading a bit and chatting with the OH we have decided to start offering a few bits of veggies, fruit and maybe gluten free bread/pasta after new year as he probably will just play with it. Then once he gets a bit older we'll add in meat, normal bread etc.

Bit excited even though I know it will be ages till he actually eats, swallows etc!!

Hey Joeyjo :howdy:
It's probably the different textures that have captured your LO more than the fact it's actually food. If you wanted to hold off on the weaning for a little while, you could try offering other 'new' textures and see how it goes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->