BLW & preemie

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
So little dude is almost 5 months, and I got thinking about weaning. I have no idea how things differ with weaning in preemies and figured you girls would be best too ask

With little man we did BLW and started at 5.5 months on the advice of his dietician (due too his allergies). I had a quick look in my BLW book regarding preemies and it didn't seem overly clear :( do I start at 6 months (although I can't really see him hitting the markers for BLW then), do I wait until 8 months (6 months corrected) or do I do puree from 6 months and BLW from 8 months ..... When I read stuff it suggests all 3 of these things in different places so I am confused!

can anyone help! I just want too get it straight in my head ready for when the time comes

From what I heard - on a general scale, it's not recommended, because of the concerns over motor skills perhaps being delayed. But I think we all know here that every preemie is different.

When weaning is mentioned in terms of preemies , they say go by actual age, and its written/given with TW in mind.

Is the wee dude still in the outpatient care of a consultant? I'd probably ask someone who knows him well/who knows premature babies well what they think.

he see's the consultant in a couple weeks actually so I'll ask then, never thought of that lol

Hi I did blw with my preemie

Although I waited till she was 8months old (5.5adj) and she took to it perfectly.

I started with baby rice at 6months actual and tried purées but she wasnt too keen. So she never really had food till 8 months but they don't need it either, milk is enough for them.

She had rice for breakfast from 6months and 8months I just started giving her foods, like toast and little sandwiches, soft fruit and veg etc.

By the time she got to 10 months (7.5) she was a pro and could eat anything, she ate whole pasta, sandwiches, potataoes, chicken, meat, grated cheese etc

They won't miss food if they don't have it, so there's no reason u can't wait till they r ready.

My son was born at 28 weeks. By 5 months actual he wanted more milk than his tummy could hold. As much as I wanted to do BLW, I knew he needed more despite his motor skills not being ready.
So, we started with baby porridge. Not baby rice - that has no nutritional value. We have progressed to fruit and veg - all purée. He loves it. And eats it all up.
But once he starts to properly and consistently bring food to his mouth we'll be baby led all the way

My son was born at 28 weeks. By 5 months actual he wanted more milk than his tummy could hold. As much as I wanted to do BLW, I knew he needed more despite his motor skills not being ready.
So, we started with baby porridge. Not baby rice - that has no nutritional value. We have progressed to fruit and veg - all purée. He loves it. And eats it all up.
But once he starts to properly and consistently bring food to his mouth we'll be baby led all the way

Baby rice has all the value as the milk does, the benefits giving rice has in not about giving extra nutrients it about developing chewing muscles and keeping to the same taste and not giving anything to baby that her body wont handle, its the best thing to give a baby whos body wont cope with other foods just yet because its the easiest on the stomach and easiest for their bodies to digest which to me is more imprtant than giving not needed nutrients (they get everything they need from the milk so anything else is not needed) and will fill the hunger.

Ok. It's just I was advised differently by his doctor. In any case we started with the Organix 4 grain porridge and it worked out fine!

I had the same questions about BLW with Jonny, who has always been more of a struggle feeding wise than his brother. I've started him on purees and baby porridge as he was bored of milk and not taking all his bottles, chewing his fists etc but clearly too young for BLW so I'l carry on with this for as long as he wants until he shows interest and then will do BLW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->