Born 24 weeks and 4 days

earlymite

24 weeks and Days
Reaction score
Hello

My beautiful little baby girl was born yesterday (13th Dec) wieghing in at 1 pound 9 ounces.

She is only 24 weeks and 4 days old but so far has had a good initial 29 hours.

I know at this stage it is a day by day process - I have looked at stats and spoken to the Dr's and realize the only answer is to just take good news everyday and worry about the bad when it comes, but it is hard not to worry about the long term complications amongst other things.

I was just wondering how others who may have been through this coped and had any tips to try and make what will be a long rollercoaster of a ride even the slightest bit more bareable.

I could make this posting so long, but basically I am just here to read other experiences as I feel totally lost and didn't expect to be a Dad for 3 more months.

Thanks

Alex

Hey hun sorry to hear that your wee one arrived so early :(
My daughter was born at 24+5 at 1lb 8oz nov.12/2007
I was actually just reading through the post that was started when I went to the hospital. If you go to the first page and open up "please pray" there's alot that had been said in there.

Its going to be a long journey for you 3 i'm not going to lie. We were in the hospital for 103 days, had 2 surgerys and alot of ups and downs. Thats life in the NICU. And it really sucks. It's a very emotional and trying time... but we got through it. We were just there for eachother. And we visited Angelynn every day for as long as we could. I would have lived and slept beside Angels incubator if I was allowed...

I can only imagine how helpless you feel both for your wife and your baby... But you two will get through it :)
There's going to be alot of emotions felt and alot of uncertainty... but as long as you beleive in your little girl, and love her with all your heart than everything will be OK. These little babies are so strong and fight so hard... I beleive that they are sent to us for a reason.. only special people can have these small babies :hugs:

Hang in there hun. Everything will be OK :hug:

Thanks for the response - I am going to check out that posting you wrote and seeing pics of your lovely little one is a real morale booster.

this was her the day she was born
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Beanie_Bunny/DSC00045.jpg

And this is her now 13 months later :) Perfectly healthy and normal (with the exception of her motor skills which are behind)

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Beanie_Bunny/Angelynn/DSC03068.jpg

I hope to see a picture of your beauty :)

So why did your wife go into preterm labor? And how is your babies breathing?

Just got back from another good day so we are all happy :)

It is getting alot easier to watch her now, I have to say the first day was so hard seeing this little thing with wires all about her. I still find it hard when she moves or makes faces, I keep thinking she is in distress and I cannot help :(

Mina (wife) had a raptured embryonic sack and was in hospital for 8 days before little London decided she wanted to come out, so it could have been even earlier.

I took some pics today ( I just couldn't bring myself to until now) and am going to post them up shortly - unfortunately I have to leave for Los Angeles tomorrow morning to finish bringing back some of our belongings and close up some business loose ends - We had just moved there from El Paso 6 weeks ago but luckily this happened back in EL Paso where Mina has family and where (although I hate to say it ) our insurance covers more.

I cant think about spending nearly 3 days away but I just want to get it over and done with.

Anyway I will get those pics up from the airport I hope.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and show me your photo's - She looks great by the way!

A.

Hello,
Your life has just been turned upside down I am sure. We too had a baby born at 24+5 weighing 1lb 9oz. Rather than spend lots of time writing here, please look at the website we built for her. WWW.CHARLOTTELOW.COM It tells her story so far.

Also, I would really recommend you keep a diary and take lots and lots of pictures. It really helps to write down your feelings.

Charlotte is doing ok now. She may have a mild cerebral palsy but she is a bright, alert and determined young child. She is very happy and loves life. Just concentrate on the here and now, the future will come when it is ready and although very easy to say (I know I never listened at the time for us), but try not to worry about long term outcome just concentrate on her getting better each hour and each day.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Love
Sam, Alasdair & Charlotte

First of all :hug:

I am currently going through the same situation with my husband and son, who was born at 24 + 4 as well. His story is just underneath this thread under "Lakai Hamilton Kraft".

I won't mislead you this is going to be a rough road for you, your wife and your baby. But it does slowly get better. We are 45 days into NICU life and while it's still rough (right now I just woke up sick..so I cannot go see my son until I am better) it is slowly becoming easier.

Just remember that these babies are fighters, they are strong and here for a reason. Do not give up! And if you ever feel like you want too, come on here and talk to us that have been through it. Trust me it helps.

Writing everything down is such a good thing/idea to do. It does truly help. Plus its a great keepsake for your baby later.

We will all be thinking about you and your family. And pulling support for your wonderful new baby! :hugs:

Huge :hug: to you, your wife & your beautiful little daughter London (lovely name)

xxx

hi there Ellen was a 24 weeker too and we spent 24 weeks in nicu, it is a long ride but keep positive, and keep a diary, we found that really useful. www.bliss.org.uk has a leaflet aailable on it for Fathers going through the rollercoaster as well as a dads only forum, my hubby spends time in there.
this is the link to our story, hope it helps that our little one was three last week and doing great!
https://www.babyandbump.com/premature-babies/47768-ellen-sarah.html

Hey there

Thanks for writing :)

Thank you for sharing your link.....I have just been reading some - Obviously I went straight to the homecoming page as that is the main thing on my mind :)

Charlotte is beautiful and I bet you are so proud.

Take care for now

A.

Hello,
Your life has just been turned upside down I am sure. We too had a baby born at 24+5 weighing 1lb 9oz. Rather than spend lots of time writing here, please look at the website we built for her. WWW.CHARLOTTELOW.COM It tells her story so far.

Also, I would really recommend you keep a diary and take lots and lots of pictures. It really helps to write down your feelings.

Charlotte is doing ok now. She may have a mild cerebral palsy but she is a bright, alert and determined young child. She is very happy and loves life. Just concentrate on the here and now, the future will come when it is ready and although very easy to say (I know I never listened at the time for us), but try not to worry about long term outcome just concentrate on her getting better each hour and each day.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Love
Sam, Alasdair & Charlotte

Hello and thank you so much for your support, I hope you feel better soon and go back to seeing Lakai, I am stuck in a different state and can only imagine how it feels after 45 days not to be able to see your little bub.

After reading all these tips from you guys going through the same thing I am going to start a blog I believe :)

Anyway you will see me around I am sure - this road is a long one.

Take care for now

Alex.
First of all :hug:

I am currently going through the same situation with my husband and son, who was born at 24 + 4 as well. His story is just underneath this thread under "Lakai Hamilton Kraft".

I won't mislead you this is going to be a rough road for you, your wife and your baby. But it does slowly get better. We are 45 days into NICU life and while it's still rough (right now I just woke up sick..so I cannot go see my son until I am better) it is slowly becoming easier.

Just remember that these babies are fighters, they are strong and here for a reason. Do not give up! And if you ever feel like you want too, come on here and talk to us that have been through it. Trust me it helps.

Writing everything down is such a good thing/idea to do. It does truly help. Plus its a great keepsake for your baby later.

We will all be thinking about you and your family. And pulling support for your wonderful new baby! :hugs:

Thank you for sharing with me :)

The early part of Ellens story I could totally relate to and everystory I read gives me that little extra bit of hope and reassurance so thank you and thank s to little Ellen :)

I will be around on here I am sure so see you and your kind words have helped.....bye for now.

hi there Ellen was a 24 weeker too and we spent 24 weeks in nicu, it is a long ride but keep positive, and keep a diary, we found that really useful. has a leaflet aailable on it for Fathers going through the rollercoaster as well as a dads only forum, my hubby spends time in there.
this is the link to our story, hope it helps that our little one was three last week and doing great!

congrats on your beautiful early baby ! these babies are so amazing .. have faith ... the best for her from me xx

she's gorgeous :) Although it may be hard to take pics because of what she has to go through but you will be thankful later. I wish I had taken more pictures of my girl when she was in the hospital.And I never started a diary either until Jan but I wish I had started when she was born. It's definetely nice to have and read later on.
www.preemie.com has a great journal where you can record all of her vital signs and weight, nurses on call that day etc. It's quite cheap too. But of course a regular journal/blog would do just as fine :)
Glad to hear that london is doing good and I hope that she continues. What a beautiful little christmas gift :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->