Breast feeding in public? Your views?

But thats not my fault is it, if others choose to use my story for their own means and agenda how can I be held for that.
You have stated my story was irrelevant because others chose to mention it as a reason to cover up, how is that fair on me to say my contribution had nothing to do with breast feeding? Isnt that holding me accountable for others actions, the same thing your stating my story was twisted into doing?
Jeez, oh!

Who said it was your fault? I'm not holding you accountable for anything. You can bring anything you want into the conversation, I'm really not that bothered. In terms of widening the debate it was a useful story to hear.

It's the fact that 70 pages on, it is the one example people are using again and again to back up their stance on why all women should be discrete and spend a lot of time considering others around them. To add so much weight to that one story skews original debate. In that way I'd consider it irrelevant.

It is a good example of how a very small number of people behave and is also a good example of the argument many people (not necessarily on here) give for women not NIP at all. And I'd agree that the actions she apparently took are not at all helping the cause of breastfeeding.

Basically what I was trying to say was, can we stop banging on about this bloody woman and her boob, she's clearly a loon.

Unless iv missed something and thats very possible with such a large thread no one has used her as an example for what not to do or against nip, I think only about 3 people have even refered to it and that was while discussing what a idoit she was.
It was never my intention for it to be an example of how not to go about nip but rather how annoying it is for someone to act like that and put a bad view on bf to public in general thats maybe never come across nip before and how damaging one person could be to many and spoiling somthing if that makes sense so yes I think its just as relavent as everyome elses posts.

Wahey! Totally late to the debate but I am sure I can stir up some complaints!

I don't know how to link the image in this link but it is worth a look!

https://bluemilk.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/a-word-about-breastfeeding-nazis/

That picture says it all about how acceptable I think NIP should be. I personally never bother with a cover, and I have nursed everywhere from restaurants to art galleries. If someone gets a glance of nipple when baby latches on or off, so be it. If someone has to explain to their kid what is going on, so be it. That said, NIP is very accepted where I live and I have never had anyone comment nor even a dark look.

I agree with the writer of that piece that any attempt to restrict or shame or hide breastfeeding is an attempt to de-normalise it and restrict mothers from full participation in society.

Being able to just pop a baby on the breast when out and about without embarrassment makes a massive difference to how easy my life is as a mother. No faffing with bottles or wrestling with covers and a sweaty, annoyed baby, no retreating from the public sphere to a bathroom so that (God forbid) nobody might be offended by the sight of me doing something that mothers have done for literally millions of years.

Oh I wish that NIP was that acceptable - what a great picture. Hopefully one day it will be.

What is NIP.............Is it Nipples In Public :shrug:
If it is then I figured that all out by myself :happydance::happydance:

So I'm sitting in the hospital this morning and there is a massive sign saying "breast feeding mums please ask at reception where our breast feeding room is. In my opinion that sign is completely mis-worded. It should say "this is a hospital that supports breastfeeding, you are welcome to breast feed wherever you choose but if you wish to have some quiet/privacy there is breastfeeding facilities on site." Really got my back up when my OH pointed it out and then said maybe I should feed in there as they're suggesting I should. I said very loudly, "yes I see what they're suggesting but I have the right to feed my son wherever I'm allowed to be!" grrr

Yep it should not be worded like that at all. Either baby /family room available would be fine.
Z

So I'm sitting in the hospital this morning and there is a massive sign saying "breast feeding mums please ask at reception where our breast feeding room is. In my opinion that sign is completely mis-worded. It should say "this is a hospital that supports breastfeeding, you are welcome to breast feed wherever you choose but if you wish to have some quiet/privacy there is breastfeeding facilities on site." Really got my back up when my OH pointed it out and then said maybe I should feed in there as they're suggesting I should. I said very loudly, "yes I see what they're suggesting but I have the right to feed my son wherever I'm allowed to be!" grrr

This happened when we were in for one of Abby's eye appointments at 8 weeks old. I asked the nurse how longer she thought it would be until we were seen because Abby needed fed. It would probably be a while and said where the breastfeeding room was. I said, I'd rather just do it where I was and that would mean I was there if we were called. Oh, I'll come and get you, you'll be more......comfortable there. No, I said, I'll stay. She said, I think it really would be better, look I'll take you there.

Being a new mum, and not quite having cracked it, not wanting to make a fuss, I followed her - for MILES - to get to this room, which was one wee comfy chair and tea/coffee making facilities. I settled down to feed Abby, just got her in to the swing of it, and my husband came and said the doc was calling us. I said they'd have to wait as Abby was feeding. (they were already running an hour late) By the time she finished and we got back, the receptionist nurse started on about how long they had been waiting for us (it was about ten minutes) I shot her a look and said "If you'd let me sit here and feed instead of dragging me off to that ridiculous trumped up store room, I'd have been here on time"

Totally agree the poster needs changed.

Unless iv missed something and thats very possible with such a large thread no one has used her as an example for what not to do or against nip, I think only about 3 people have even refered to it and that was while discussing what a idoit she was.
It was never my intention for it to be an example of how not to go about nip but rather how annoying it is for someone to act like that and put a bad view on bf to public in general thats maybe never come across nip before and how damaging one person could be to many and spoiling somthing if that makes sense so yes I think its just as relavent as everyome elses posts.

Yeah, it has happened. Totally understand it wasn't your intention.

And yeah I totally agree women who do this are not helping the cause at all.

Haven't heard of any breastfeeding rooms in hospitals here though when I had to go to the emergency room when Maria was a newborn I asked for a room to feed her in so we wouldn't have to wait in the big room full of sick people :haha:

I had to take Oliver to a dietician because a HV said he's too skinny. The doctors at the hospital don't agree though so he's been signed off. But that's another thread :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->