Breast pumps... where to begin?!?

Itsychik

Reaction score
Hi ladies! :flower:

I'm looking up information about breast pumps... but I have NO idea what to look for! I was wondering if any of you already used these in previous pregnancies or have been looking them up now to buy one? ... and if anyone could give me advice on what types there are, what to look for, etc?

In other words, what do I need to know before I actually buy one? And are there any "recommended" brands?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

it depends a lot what you expect to use it for. If you're planning on pumping a lot (going back to work early, possible nipple issues, like inverted nipples) then electric is the way to go.

These are more expensive and in some places (I know in Belgium you can) you can rent one from pharmacies (just have to buy the detachable bits). I've heard that Medela is generally a very good brand.

If you're only pumping occasionally (when you go out and want to leave a small bottle for OH or another caregiver or want to take some with you for outings where you think BF would be not possible/or you wouldn't feel comfortable with it) - then a handheld mechanic pump is fine. I had an Avent Isis https://www.amazon.com/Avent-Isis-Manual-Breast-Pump/dp/B000066CMV and it served the purpose. I had a pretty fast letdown - it usually took me 10 mins of pumping to fill a bottle. Also easy to clean and sterilize.

Also don't forget that baby will arrive in the summer, so I wouldn't really try to pump for carrying the bottle around - the BM can go off more easily in the heat. What comes straight from the breast is always sterile and even when you're out and about it's not as hard to BF in relative privacy as you'd think.

So my advice, if you're not sure, try with a cheaper, but solid quality handheld pump. Also, be aware that it takes a bit of time to get the hang of pumping and it's not necessary at all to successfully BF, but useful if you want to have an occasional drink or take the occasional night off!

I would probably wait until after the baby's born as it will depend on how much/how often you are wanting to express.

I tried with an Avent Manual but didnt get on with it (it was an old model however), so I invested in the Medela Swing electric which was fab but it was £70-80.

I've just got the Avent Isis Manual free (bought Dreamgenii Pillow from Amazon.co.uk and it came with it) but I will probably use this one if I go away for the weekend as I will be primarily using the Medela.

I agree with Szaffi about BF in public, it can be done very discreetly. I just put a muslin square over me. Plus after labour, I didnt have much dignity left so I couldnt really care less! lol

Hope this helps

Thanks ladies!

I am planning on breastfeeding, and a breast pump is something that was recommended to me to have on hand in case there were "any problems" (i.e. if baby doesn't drink a lot and a pump is needed to extract more after feedings, etc). I'm not opposed to bf'ing in public (although I think I'd be more likely to find a bathroom/toilet somewhere)... but this is our first so who knows how I'll feel about it after the delivery! :)

I'm traveling to the U.S. next week to visit family and someone suggested that this is something I could probably purchase cheaper there, which is why I'm trying to figure this out before I go :)

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the thread - I've been wondering about this too!

My friend has had three pumps, the medela swing is good in her opinion but noisy so she would have to go out the room, instead she's now using a manual tommee tippee pump and loves it. It's bizarre the conversations we now have!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->