Bridesmaid dress, advice please ladies...

lucylu79

Reaction score
I feel so sad for my best friend right now. She's marrying the man of her dreams in 6 weeks and a while back the four bm's including me went shopping and walked away with 4 dresses.

Perfect.....For the other 3 bm's as mine didn't fit properly as I always wear petite clothing. I took it to a shop to be altered and instead of feeling amazing in it I now feel quite restricted under the arms due to due alterations i'm assuming as I've not gained any weight....yet!

What do I do?! She's constantly asking have I taken it back to get it re-altered when deep down I know the only way i'd get in it was if I crashed diet which at 5 weeks pregnant is never going to happen!

I hate all the 'bending the truth' about my dress when really i'm thinking if anything I might need a bigger dress altogether, I've even looked at a few maternity dresses but I will only be 11 weeks, would I need ne, i'm nit sure, probably not as long as I don't stuff my face :dohh:

Could do with a few suggestions ladies, my dress cost £130 and i'm prepared to find something as nice and pay for it, hub's said he's help me but where do I start shopping! I mentioned Asos to her and she said the quality would be no-where near like mine.

I'm feelng pretty rubbish about it to be honest an time is running out :cry:

Firstly are all the bridesmaid dresses the same? If so, is there anyway you could order the dress again in a bigger size?

If not, I would just be honest with your friend and tell her the reason why you need to find a new dress.

I am bridesmaid to my BFF in June when I'll be 6 months preggers and I've told my friend the truth and managed to find the dress again in a bigger size.

Also is there any spare material in the seams of the arms (where you feel restricted) so a seamstress could take that part out to make it more comfortable for you? As if it's just the arms that feel restricted I would maybe just see if the arms could be taken out a bit.

I went through this as the Bride, my maid of honor was preg when we bought the dresses but wouldn't be preg for the wedding. Very difficult as you have no idea what size or how much weight they are going to lose after baby. So I just waited till June to order her dress wedding was 9/7.
In your situation I would wear the dress, may be uncomfortable for a bit, but in reality you will only have it on for a few hours. That is what I would do, take a nice change of clothes for the reception and change after the ceremony. During pics you could possibly leave the back of it unzipped, if that is an option, as no one will see your back. I, personally, would just suck it up for her day. I know it is hard but it will literally only be a few hours. Put it on RIGHT before pics then unzip it when done with pics and then zip it back for the ceremony then change after the ceremony. The actual ceremony will only be like 20 min., unless she is Catholic but you can do it.

Wait, so it was uncomfortable after you got it altered? Surely that's the shop's fault and nothing to do with your pregnancy? It's their job to fix it if they altered it incorrectly. I'd kick up a fuss with whoever altered it until they got it fixed. If you're not willing to do that then I agree with Mrs Burch.

I was 11 weeks pregnant when I got married and my waist had thickened a little but, but luckily I had a flows, high waisted dress so there was room. If the dresses are not all the same, is there a way to get something like that as long as it matched?

I also agree that if the alterations were not done correctly, they should fix it. Have you asked the shop yet? You pay the fees for it to be right. If it is tight waisted, you may want to have them let it out just a tiny bit while having it fixed too.

I'm in the same boat. My best friend is getting married in June and I just got my BFP. Thankfully I haven't ordered my dress yet. I'm debating ordering 2 sizes up since it's tight in the leg and butt area. I'm just nervous with this being baby #2 that I'm going to be pretty big by then.

Wow thanks s much for all the replies.

When I bought the dress I knew it would have to be altered as it wasn't a petite and there was so much lace excess overlay across the top that it looked really baggy on me.

I took it to the shop and they altered the back but I should of listened to my BF as she suggested I got it altered a different way, but instead I let the shop what I thought would be right and instead yes, its made it tighter.

Anyway, I haven't paid a bean yet, they weren't happy that I wasn't happy and are waiting for me to go back for another try on which i'm going to do this morning.

Must be firm and show them exactly what's wrong!

Thanks all, wish me luck!!!

Good luck hun, definitely sounds like something they've done to the dress. Be strong and tell them the honest truth - they have to fix it for you! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->