Bristol!?

I, for one, had a great experience of St. Michaels! I would gladly give birth there again.

H&H pregnancies all... x

I, for one, had a great experience of St. Michaels! I would gladly give birth there again.

H&H pregnancies all... x

Me too! I couldnt fault my experience, my midwives were so lovely and they still stop me on the street to say hi to Ivy (I live pretty close to the hospital!)

Hi,
I live in Patchway in north bristol and am expecting my first baby on 20th October.
I am hoping to have the baby in the midwife led birthing suite at Southmead as i truly hate hospitals!

x

https://www.nct.org.uk/branches/bristol/events/super-nearly-new-sale
There's an nct nearly new sale this month :) anyone going?

I am! Going with a friend from Cheltenham, theres one in Emersons green the day before too I think but the super big one sounds better

I was in st mikes today, rather than them buy a £10 payg mobile, theyre talking about providing a patient with thousands of £s of equipment so they can contact her. I wouldnt mind the place looking like it should be knocked down if the staff were any good. Ive had nothing but stupidness, last minute appts, bad attitude etc from them.

Im not even that bad a high risk - my blood sugars are perfectly normal but I have a label of diabetic due to pcos and a previously high reading. I cant imagine how they would treat you if there was something actually wrong. There was someone in there the other day moaning about their attitude as to be frank she was massive but they treated her like she was a pariah.

Hiya :)

Tx- means treatment

BCRM- Bristol centre of reproductive medicine (its at southmead)
xxx

Forgot to say earlier. I didn't go to brcm but I saw dr Akande privately at the spire and he was great. I was paying him tho so he would probably have done anything I wanted :p

Hiya :)

Tx- means treatment

BCRM- Bristol centre of reproductive medicine (its at southmead)
xxx

That makes sense now Mrsnormie!! No, i have no experience of them, but am under a consultant at southmead due to high risk and its concenient as i work on-site too, so no need for lots of time off for appointments :flower:

Is all going ok with you and baby? You sound very chilled out!

There was someone in there the other day moaning about their attitude as to be frank she was massive but they treated her like she was a pariah.

I'm sorry Cranberry, but i dont get what you mean by "to be frank she was massive but they treated her like a pariah".... Surely anyone working with pregnant women expect to see "massive" women, so why do you think they were treating her like a pariah?

My experience in various parts of the nhs is that the staff go out of their way to help, and paid less than if they worked in a private hospital, and usually only react when faced with bad behaviour towards them.... But you seem to think they ALL have a bad attitude? I have never met more than 1 person with such an attitude during almost 20 years of nhs experience? Do you think that maybe you are expecting bad attitude, and they therefore react to that? Most people dont have bad attitudes for no reason?....

I mean she was rly fat so I can understand why they would treat her differently as in medically differently, I dont know the specific but it sounded like they werent v supportive at all.

Ive been given appointments with less than a days notice because they took over a month to get a letter out apparently. Been given blatantly wrong information about practical things. Been given inflamatory information about what I "must" do, been told they will not "let" me do certain things in my birth. I have no problem with any other part of the NHS, but so far my pregnancy care has been prescriptive, inflexible and broken. There is something seriously wrong with the system.

I went into this with a fairly open mind - I had awful treatment at that hospital in the past but tried to forget it (I had an USS for infertility explorations and DH wasnt allowed in, had to sit with a room full of smiling preg couples while they all went in with their wives). Until I get some good treatment then Im gonna base my opinion on what Ive had so far.

Im not talking about bad attitude towards me, they are just tied to the processes which they are handed down from the higher-ups which mean that they forget that theyre not actually dealing with ill people, we're just pregnant after all.

Edit, I dont go into the appts looking for a fight actually, I would love it if they gave me unbiased opinions, but they dont which to my mind isnt doing their job. It means I have to check everything they say myself which isnt how it should be. I go in there assertive but by no means argumentative.

Its not St Mikes per say, the ENT dept are fine, maybe Id hate Southmead Maternity services too. I go into a lot of hospitals tho and maybe its because theres another professional in the room, but theyve always been nice as pie to the clients Ive been with, turned the screen round for the USS, take the time to explain both sides of the story etc. Ive not been happy with my treatment but if youve been happy with yours then Im glad.

Hi,
I live in Patchway in north bristol and am expecting my first baby on 20th October.
I am hoping to have the baby in the midwife led birthing suite at Southmead as i truly hate hospitals!

x

Hi bernie groves :flower: is this your first?.... How are you doing? Im going to southmead too but under a consultant, i am not a fan of being in hospital, but sometimes needs must!! Have you had a good experience of the hospital so far? I havent had any appts thre yet as i see a midwife in keynsham and only the consultant at the hospital.... Has it been ok there so far?

H&h 9 mths to you!!

I didnt know there was a birthing unit at SM, will tell a friend, she was planning on going all the way to Paulton or something!

The thing is if you are classed as high risk in anyway by the NHS guidelines they are quite strick and wont let you take "risks" for their own protection (all people do now-a days is sue!)

As "high risk" you will get this treatment in all NHS hospitals.

You can always tell them you wont do it their way, they wont be happy but they cant refuse for you to have your baby there.

I had a horrible pregnancy with DD and ended up having 3 hospital stays and had to have twice weekly appointments at the day assesment unit (the other side of the waiting room for scans) from 28 weeks.

My consultant Dr Emma Tralour(sp?) is lovely and I am glad I have her again for my Vbac and Preeclampsia monitoring.

At the end of the day I think its just luck of the draw in who you see/speak to as there will always be a bad apple.

I was lucky to only encounter one horrible member of staff but she was an orderly who refused to bring me breakfast or let me eat in my room after DD was born as I hadn't just come back from surgery (mine was a few day before and therefore refused to be kind and helpful in anyway!)

Oh also my mum works there :blush: on ward 76 I think it is...the gyne ward :)

Helen - https://www.southwestbusiness.co.uk...ome-birth/article-1221996-detail/article.html
I don't know if this is still going ahead of if it was moved to Southmead? But I found this when researching midwife led units.

I have decided (even though I would LOVE a home birth) to go to the hospital though as personally I think I will be too high risk and I would worry a bit too much about rupturing or needing another emcs.

Main thing which bothered me is that they told me they wont let me go past 40w even if my bloods are fine, I go home and do some research and find that the guidelines themself say that theyre not based on actual evidence. They could have just told me 'well we like to induce women at 40w just in case but thats based on one study which doesnt really apply to you but really dear it would be for the best' why cant they just give a balanced view of things, if they give me all the facts then theres no cause for me to sue surely, Ill have made an informed decision.

Ive been told just to ask to see the consultant but I kinda thought it was a bit too early to go bothering her. Her time seems better spent with ppl who are closer to the birth iykwim. Can see her later on when the plans are starting the be laid down.

The orderly sounds like they thought they run the place, sometimes you get that with ppl who have bloody boring jobs, they like to cause drama. Bet they went home with a great story for the pub that night 'her ladyship asked me to bring her FOOD!'.

If you're unhappy with the way you're treated then why don't you change to Southmead hospital. It's your right to choose.

Personally I've got nothing but positives to say about St. Mikes. I was under consultant care for different reasons and they were incredibly respectful and supportive of my treatment choices. I work for the trust as well , in a different hospital though.

Main thing which bothered me is that they told me they wont let me go past 40w even if my bloods are fine, I go home and do some research and find that the guidelines themself say that theyre not based on actual evidence. They could have just told me 'well we like to induce women at 40w just in case but thats based on one study which doesnt really apply to you but really dear it would be for the best' why cant they just give a balanced view of things, if they give me all the facts then theres no cause for me to sue surely, Ill have made an informed decision.

Ive been told just to ask to see the consultant but I kinda thought it was a bit too early to go bothering her. Her time seems better spent with ppl who are closer to the birth iykwim. Can see her later on when the plans are starting the be laid down.

The orderly sounds like they thought they run the place, sometimes you get that with ppl who have bloody boring jobs, they like to cause drama. Bet they went home with a great story for the pub that night 'her ladyship asked me to bring her FOOD!'.

I was going to get induced at 40 + 12, they never mentioned inducing at 40 weeks. I went into labour a couple of days before it came to that though. They gave me a leaflet and that was what it stated as well. I would ask them why they want to induce you so early, there might be a specific reason why they're going against guidelines.

Im not sure Id get any different treatment tbh. The whole system seems broken. Also would be awful to go through the hassle of changing then it be the same. Would rather just stay where I am and know what to expect at least.

Theyre following the guidelines, but the guidelines themself say that theyre based on common practice rather than evidence.

Anyway, change of topic, anyone using a Doula? I just met Rebecca Rice and shes ace! Hands off for December tho, shes MINE :D

Helen - https://www.southwestbusiness.co.uk...ome-birth/article-1221996-detail/article.html
I don't know if this is still going ahead of if it was moved to Southmead? But I found this when researching midwife led units.

I have decided (even though I would LOVE a home birth) to go to the hospital though as personally I think I will be too high risk and I would worry a bit too much about rupturing or needing another emcs.

are you planning for a vbac hun? I'm considering having one next time round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->