British slang!

Here's some: https://louisville.edu/internationa.../Popular American Slang Words and Phrases.pdf

Are these used in the UK?

I'm familiar with all of them and we use nearly all of them in UK. We don't use "buck" for one dollar, we use "quid" for one pound. But most people would understand buck. And we don't really say "jock" for athletes though again most people would know what it meant as an American term, some people call the Scottish jocks but it isn't referring to athleticism! Take a rain-check is also much more American, I think most people would know what it means but not many British people would say it. I guess we pick up a lot from imported American tv and films.

(to) be too big for one’s britches – to think too highly of oneself

britches – pants

can’t carry a tune in a bucket – to be unable to sing at all

clod-hopper – large, heavy shoes like those worn by farmers

colder than a witch’s tit (in a brass bra in January) – the bit in parentheses simply adds some extra color to an already off-color (but quite effective) description of the weather

(gosh) dang/darn/dern – a cleaner version of a well-known, blasphemous expletive

dang/darn/dern tootin’ – an expression of agreement, as in, “Louella, you make the finest biscuits this side of the Mississippi.” “Dern tootin’.”

fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down – if someone is unbelievably unattractive, looking as though they’ve been hit with several ugly sticks, this is the proper way to express that ugliness

fixin’ to – getting ready/preparing to, as in, “I’m fixin’ to go to the Wal-Mart. Do y’all need anything?”

get up with – to contact or get together with

granny-slappin’ good (so good, it makes you want to slap your granny) – very good, usually delicious

gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

a hankerin’ for – a desire/craving forhappy as a puppy with two peckers/peters – very happy

high cotton – wealthy; successful (and maybe snobby)

hit with the ugly stick – if someone is quite unattractive, you can say they look like they’ve been hit with the ugly stick

honky-tonk – a bar, perhaps where country music is played live for folks to dance

hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch – very hot

how-do – shortened form of “How do you do?”

If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

kin/kinfolk – family, especially extended family

knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look how grown-up you are now!”

lick – (noun) any amount at all, usually used in negative sentences such as, “I didn’t get a lick of work done today because my boss kept calling me in for meetings.” (verb) To beat up, as in, “I licked him good that time.”

like herding cats – anything that is difficult to do, but especially anything that requires organizing difficult people (like small children)

mash – to press or push, as in, “Mash that green button and turn on the computer.”

(to) need something like one needs a hole in the head – Obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it’s even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don’t need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.

ornery – difficult to deal with; stubborn; finicky

piddly/piddlin’ – a small amount (negative connotation)

poop or get off the pot – make a decision and take action

reckon – suppose, guess, as in, “I reckon we’ll see you at the reunion.”

right – very (often surprisingly); an adverb usually used to modify adjectives, as in, “You wouldn’t I'm know it to look at him, but he’s a right good ball player.”

rough talk – to speak harshly

rubber-neck – to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.

skedaddle – to leave hurriedly

snug as a bug (in a rug) – very comfortable

sugar – affection, as in, “Come here and give me some sugar.”sweet talk – to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want

tater – potato(to)

think one’s s*** don’t stink – to think too highly of oneself

tore up – broken/destroyed, as in, “I came home to find the curtains all tore up,” or, “My knee has been tore up since that skiing accident back in ’93.”

uppity – snobby

used to could – used to be able to, as in, “I can’t do a cartwheel any more, but I used to could.”

useless as tits on a bull – utterly uselessvarmint – an animal (usually wild)

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. – an expression of surprise, shock and/or disbelief

y’all -
a contraction of you + all. This is the informal 2nd person plural in Southern English.

yankee – a person from the North

yapper – mouth

younguns – young people

you’uns – a contraction of you + ones. It is a collective plural as in "each of you."

britches – pants

colder than a witch’s tit (in a brass bra in January) – the bit in parentheses simply adds some extra color to an already off-color (but quite effective) description of the weather

(gosh) dang/darn/dern – a cleaner version of a well-known, blasphemous expletive

dang/darn/dern tootin’ – an expression of agreement, as in, “Louella, you make the finest biscuits this side of the Mississippi.” “Dern tootin’.”

fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down – if someone is unbelievably unattractive, looking as though they’ve been hit with several ugly sticks, this is the proper way to express that ugliness

fixin’ to – getting ready/preparing to, as in, “I’m fixin’ to go to the Wal-Mart. Do y’all need anything?”

get up with – to contact or get together with

granny-slappin’ good (so good, it makes you want to slap your granny) – very good, usually delicious

gussied up – cleaned up and dressed very nicely (perhaps formally)

a hankerin’ for – a desire/craving forhappy as a puppy with two peckers/peters – very happy

hit with the ugly stick – if someone is quite unattractive, you can say they look like they’ve been hit with the ugly stick

honky-tonk – a bar, perhaps where country music is played live for folks to dance

hotter than a goat’s butt in a pepper patch – very hot

how-do – shortened form of “How do you do?”

If I had my druthers – if I had my way/my preference

kin/kinfolk – family, especially extended family

knee-high to a grasshopper – very young and small, as in, “The last time I saw you, you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and look how grown-up you are now!”

lick – (noun) any amount at all, usually used in negative sentences such as, “I didn’t get a lick of work done today because my boss kept calling me in for meetings.” (verb) To beat up, as in, “I licked him good that time.”

like herding cats – anything that is difficult to do, but especially anything that requires organizing difficult people (like small children)

mash – to press or push, as in, “Mash that green button and turn on the computer.”

(to) need something like one needs a hole in the head – Obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it’s even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don’t need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.

poop or get off the pot – make a decision and take action

right – very (often surprisingly); an adverb usually used to modify adjectives, as in, “You wouldn’t I'm know it to look at him, but he’s a right good ball player.”

rough talk – to speak harshly

rubber-neck – to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.

sugar – affection, as in, “Come here and give me some sugar.”sweet talk – to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want

tater – potato(to)

tore up – broken/destroyed, as in, “I came home to find the curtains all tore up,” or, “My knee has been tore up since that skiing accident back in ’93.”

uppity – snobby

used to could – used to be able to, as in, “I can’t do a cartwheel any more, but I used to could.”

useless as tits on a bull – utterly uselessvarmint – an animal (usually wild)

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. – an expression of surprise, shock and/or disbelief

y’all -
a contraction of you + all. This is the informal 2nd person plural in Southern English.

yapper – mouth

younguns – young people

you’uns – a contraction of you + ones. It is a collective plural as in "each of you."

I reckon these taters 'bout done y'all… ;) I'm in Louisiana and we don't say hardly any of this stuff (except y'all of course). I don't think I use much slang at all. I can say though that my FIL often uses terms like "coonass" and I know people who say they are going "make groceries". Anyone know what lagniappe is?

I'm from stoke in trent and if I spoke to people where I live now how people speak in stoke people have no idea what your saying, OH has also picked it up from me and people look at him like he's a nutter when he calls them duck :rofl:

There's a huge list of stokie dialect like, A'up, orate, nesh and then there's the whole look/book debate!

Mardy is more of a northern word you don't hear to regurally round here

Ive heard of all of these except some of britt1986's! :rofl:
I'm from Essex but surprisingly my area doesnt seem to use much slang, a few miles down the road is completely different though.

Ive heard of all of these except some of britt1986's! :rofl:
I'm from Essex but surprisingly my area doesnt seem to use much slang, a few miles down the road is completely different though.

Vajazzle?!

Being from the West Midlands and my Dads family being from near birmingham I've heard all sorts of slang :lol:

britches – pants

tater – potato

y’all -

These are the ones I have heard or hear regularly, bolded the ones I use/have used (some I just don't say anymore).

My ex always used to say 'stoaf' as slang for falling over or doing something clumsy

I.e. *falls over* "that was a stoaf"

I had never heard that one before him :s

:haha: I always say 'rumpy pumpy' very funny. I love accents - one of my grandads has the strongest Dorset accent you'll ever hear in your life. Sometimes I find it hard to understand him and I live down here! Lol. I can't think of any sayings we use that others don't though - probably because it's the norm for us lol.....
Does everyone call holiday makers 'grockles'?

:haha: I always say 'rumpy pumpy' very funny. I love accents - one of my grandads has the strongest Dorset accent you'll ever hear in your life. Sometimes I find it hard to understand him and I live down here! Lol. I can't think of any sayings we use that others don't though - probably because it's the norm for us lol.....

I don't even know what a holiday maker is...??

I had to look it up, vacationers.

Definition of HOLIDAYMAKER

chiefly British
: vacationer

grockle
A holidaymaker, or one from out of town. Particularly used in the South of England, generally as a mildly derogatory term

LOL good old google!

Oh :haha: It's someone on holiday.

I had to look it up, vacationers.

Definition of HOLIDAYMAKER

chiefly British
: vacationer

grockle
A holidaymaker, or one from out of town. Particularly used in the South of England, generally as a mildly derogatory term

LOL good old google!

Exactly! Lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back