British slang!

The only one I didn't get was bare. Love the guesses.

It's odd, what's so common place here but not elsewhere - even so close as Ireland.

For example, my cousin got married last month - her now husband is from Ireland. I was photographing the wedding so was in the house in the morning along with all his family who had traveled over. One asked me where the abbey was and I said "oh, it's just down the road!" And they cracked up! Apparently they don't say that there :haha: They said whenever they'd asked anyone where anything was over here, everything was "just down the road" :haha:

I wouldn't say 'bare' was even British slang. Is that not what teenagers say when they're trying to be cool?

I haven't heard anyone use "bare" since I moved away from London as a teen :haha:

got all them right.

i always say 'bobs ya uncle'.. i have an uncle called Bob. annoys my mum so much she always says 'no hes my brother'. x

I always go "bobs ya uncle. Roberts your fathers brother"

We use "not my cup of tea" here. I knew what a lot of them were, but not all.

I guess we have our own slang here though, although I tried looking up "southern slang" and I don't really use any of those. Maybe just "American slang" or something...

I wouldn't say 'bare' was even British slang. Is that not what teenagers say when they're trying to be cool?

I hear people say it on a daily basis, makes me shudder :lol: xxx

I'm sure I've heard a lot of them on US tv - I'm not convinced they're all exclusively UK sayings.

And what is "bare" about? Never heard that....

I'm in the US and I knew some, maybe half. I'm laughing though because I've heard fuzz before and some of you haven't!

As far as actually USING those phrases… no. I don't use any of those! I'll have to look up some American ones.

Here's some: https://louisville.edu/internationa.../Popular American Slang Words and Phrases.pdf

Are these used in the UK?

My other half says a lot of slang since he's met me (especially bloody norah (same as bloody hell) and do-dahs (things)). It's quite funny hearing a German speak in slang xD

Here's some: https://louisville.edu/internationa.../Popular American Slang Words and Phrases.pdf

Are these used in the UK?

A lot of these are used apart from buck for obvious reasons, our similar term would be quid.
We don't tend to have jocks either

I thought fuzz was pretty common...hence the movie "Hot Fuzz" LOL that's the only way I know it though!

<---- American.

I got 3 out of 30! I about snorted my ginger ale; some of those seem quite graphic!! NO WAY I would have understood what the heck most of that was is it was being said to me!!

The dog's bollocks is a GOOD thing? What the...? "Bobs your uncle" is my favorite, going to have to use that on hubby! I can just hear him... "Uh, no, Larry is my uncle..?"

My husband is EXTREMELY born and raised in a southern small town. Here's what Ive learned from his family/community..

"Like two rats 'effing' in a wool sock!!" = Its very hot today.

"Like a cats tail with the rocking chair." = It wont be long now...

"Well Bob, lets skip the feathers." = My brain bleeds to even explain this one. In stead of saying "Im tired" which tired in southern slang resembles "tarred," referencing being "tarred and feathered." I know, awful. Insert eye roll, accordingly.

I know theres more but I try to block it out. Ugh. This doesnt speak for all of the US of course, but you can see why people sometimes think the southern US is ignorant!!

My husband is EXTREMELY born and raised in a southern small town. Here's what Ive learned from his family/community..

"Like two rats 'effing' in a wool sock!!" = Its very hot today.

"Like a cats tail with the rocking chair." = It wont be long now...

"Well Bob, lets skip the feathers." = My brain bleeds to even explain this one. In stead of saying "Im tired" which tired in southern slang resembles "tarred," referencing being "tarred and feathered." I know, awful. Insert eye roll, accordingly.

I know theres more but I try to block it out. Ugh. This doesnt speak for all of the US of course, but you can see why people sometimes think the southern US is ignorant!!

Hahaha! I'm pretty far south and I don't say anything like that. Those awful. :haha: The small towns definitely seem to use more strange phrases.

<---- American.

I got 3 out of 30! I about snorted my ginger ale; some of those seem quite graphic!! NO WAY I would have understood what the heck most of that was is it was being said to me!!

The dog's bollocks is a GOOD thing? What the...? "Bobs your uncle" is my favorite, going to have to use that on hubby! I can just hear him... "Uh, no, Larry is my uncle..?"

I think i saw something once where someone explained this to an American..
Bollocks is bad, dogs bollocks is good! That one is also (I would personnaly say) the more well known term too!
Haha I use bobs your uncle quite frequently!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->