"British soldiers burn in hell"

It makes me laugh at how many people say 'if I went to live abroad I would live by their culture and rules'. Yes, maybe you would, but just look at how many don't. People in this country are always saying 'people who come to live here should learn to speak English', yet how many Brits who live abroad learn the ;anguage there? My MIL has lived in Spain for over ten years and speaks only a few words of Spanish, the same applies to almost every ex pat she knows out there. My Mum lived in Thailand for years, didn't learn Thai and again, no ex pats she knew out there spoke Thai either. Nor do any of these people follow the traditions of the countries they live in.

As for the protestors. Awful. My husband lost 11 men out of 120 when he was in Afghanistan, countless more injured, several friends are left with young babies, their husband's killed. That anyone could be so insensitive as to behave like this appalls me. However, they do not speak for the majority and in fact, the majority fo the Afghani people in Afghanistan support our troops being out there and actually help them where possible and are employed in British camps.

We are a multi-cultural society. One of the great things about our society, we embrace people of all cultures and races. We allow freedom of speech, we allow people to be different. There are of course, faults with the system, but I wouldn't want to change most of it.

I was the one that posted that. And yes it's a valid point. But how many of us would go and live in a Muslim country and demand they start changing things? Yes, maybe you wouldn't make much of an effort to learn the language, but you would know enough to get by. I wouldn't go over to India for example and start demanding they change the way they celebrate Diwali because it wasn't in my culture to celebrate it iykwim? Like I said, MOST Muslims in this country cause no trouble, they respect us as a seperate culture and leave us in peace. But some don't. Not being allowed to have "Happy Christmas' lights up incase it offends anyone? How ridiculous?! Now we have to say "Seasons Greetings" instead. Things like that aren't just down to a minority of the muslim community though, that is mainly PC gone mad and people being so desperate to 'please' other cultures that they are willing to give up on their own ideals

Do you actually know any Muslims who are personally trying to stop us celebrating Christmas or is that just what you've read in the papers? I know a few Muslim people (some in the British Army, shock horror!) and none of them care less what I do or what I celebrate.

Why shouldn't we say 'Seasons Greetings'? It's not something new, people have been saying it and it has been on Christmas cards etc for years. It seems far more appropriate to me as it covers Christmas and whatever else people may wish to celebrate, so encompasses a whole lot more people.

No-one is telling you personally what to say, if you want to say Merry Christmas, you are entitled to.

Most of these 'PC gone mad' stories are proven to be either false or totally exaggerated by people like Richard Littlejohn, who is a complete joke to the world of journalism.

Some of them aren't though. My sister's primary school didn't have a nativity play last year because they now have one muslim student, for example

That is the school's choice, no-one is making them do that though, it's not the law.

It makes me laugh at how many people say 'if I went to live abroad I would live by their culture and rules'. Yes, maybe you would, but just look at how many don't. People in this country are always saying 'people who come to live here should learn to speak English', yet how many Brits who live abroad learn the ;anguage there? My MIL has lived in Spain for over ten years and speaks only a few words of Spanish, the same applies to almost every ex pat she knows out there. My Mum lived in Thailand for years, didn't learn Thai and again, no ex pats she knew out there spoke Thai either. Nor do any of these people follow the traditions of the countries they live in.

As for the protestors. Awful. My husband lost 11 men out of 120 when he was in Afghanistan, countless more injured, several friends are left with young babies, their husband's killed. That anyone could be so insensitive as to behave like this appalls me. However, they do not speak for the majority and in fact, the majority fo the Afghani people in Afghanistan support our troops being out there and actually help them where possible and are employed in British camps.

We are a multi-cultural society. One of the great things about our society, we embrace people of all cultures and races. We allow freedom of speech, we allow people to be different. There are of course, faults with the system, but I wouldn't want to change most of it.

I was the one that posted that. And yes it's a valid point. But how many of us would go and live in a Muslim country and demand they start changing things? Yes, maybe you wouldn't make much of an effort to learn the language, but you would know enough to get by. I wouldn't go over to India for example and start demanding they change the way they celebrate Diwali because it wasn't in my culture to celebrate it iykwim? Like I said, MOST Muslims in this country cause no trouble, they respect us as a seperate culture and leave us in peace. But some don't. Not being allowed to have "Happy Christmas' lights up incase it offends anyone? How ridiculous?! Now we have to say "Seasons Greetings" instead. Things like that aren't just down to a minority of the muslim community though, that is mainly PC gone mad and people being so desperate to 'please' other cultures that they are willing to give up on their own ideals

Do you actually know any Muslims who are personally trying to stop us celebrating Christmas or is that just what you've read in the papers? I know a few Muslim people (some in the British Army, shock horror!) and none of them care less what I do or what I celebrate.

Why shouldn't we say 'Seasons Greetings'? It's not something new, people have been saying it and it has been on Christmas cards etc for years. It seems far more appropriate to me as it covers Christmas and whatever else people may wish to celebrate, so encompasses a whole lot more people.

No-one is telling you personally what to say, if you want to say Merry Christmas, you are entitled to.

I already said that I'm not blaming Muslims for it :shrug: and I don't know any personally but things like the example I gave above about the nativity play have actually happened, not just written about in the paper. It's like the council that decided to only use halal meat in their school dinners. Not because Muslim people demanded it but because for some reason they were putting them before the rest of the community that wouldn't usually eat halal meat. And personally I wouldn't eat halal meat either because the way it is killed is horrible

ETA: Yes I know it's not the law... that's why I'm talking about political correctness and not that Muslims are taking over the country as that is simply not true

I think they are a disgusting minority. The fact they are allowed to say/do these things just shows how liberal the Uk has become. Would a scenario about people burning the koran , effigy of mohammed be allowed, doubt it.
I live in Saudi arabia and not even allowed to bring in a Christmas tree!!!

Most of these 'PC gone mad' stories are proven to be either false or totally exaggerated by people like Richard Littlejohn, who is a complete joke to the world of journalism.

Some of them aren't though. My sister's primary school didn't have a nativity play last year because they now have one muslim student, for example

That is the school's choice, no-one is making them do that though, it's not the law.

Yes but the school wouldnt have done it if it wasnt said by someone who was against what Christianity is all about...

I think they are a disgusting minority. The fact they are allowed to say/do these things just shows how liberal the Uk has become. Would a scenario about people burning the koran , effigy of mohammed be allowed, doubt it.

That is my point. Why are we punished for saying we dont want change when if we were in a Muslim country we would most likely be thrown out..

Makes me so angry!They have no right too!Jesus,they are taking over most of the country anyway-they don't like Christmas,councils rename it so not to offend....don't like it?sod off!we critise them and we are racist!Takes the wee wee......x

Wow, as a British muslim, what a highly, highly offensive post!!!!

Who exactly is taking over most of the country????? Muslims?? Britain has become multicultural, full of people of different races. I was born here and English is my first language. I am highly educated and pay high taxes. I have as much right to be here as you have!!! Don't like that I'm married to a muslim man and have a muslim daughter.... oh and God forbid, may have MORE muslim children!!!!!! Look away then.... we're here to stay.

Plus, I am a liberal muslim, and I don't agree with the extremists... what has happened is highly disrespectful, but that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to spout racial hatred....

Disgusting attitude.

I think Harveysmum's post might have been based on what some newspapers say, the changing of the word Christmas to Winterfest or whatever it was going to be.. After 7/7 everything that is suggest by a Muslim obviously hits the papers.. I dont agree with that but thats how it is.

Well then that's ignorance for you....

As Iraqi muslims (yes Iraqi) we celebrate christmas too, with presents, tree and all the usual xmas stuff.... if 'Harveysmum' is small minded enough to believe everything she reads in the paper.... then it's not worth even addressing her.

I'm leaving this as I'm too worked up now, and I'm late for work! (yes! i work too!)

But there are Muslims out there that dont like to celebrate Christmas and they are the ones saying these things. It works both ways, there are things Christian and Cathlolics dont agree with that Muslims do but its just not written about.. I work too, I dont think thats got anything to do with it..

How dare you call me narrow minded!!The OP posted for people to give their opinion!I didn't pick you out personally did I???So how dare you do it to me!

LOL you said 'they are taking over this country'...that is UNBELIEVABLY narrow minded! If you are going to say something ignorant you will have to accept there will be a lot of criticism.

Makes me so angry!They have no right too!Jesus,they are taking over most of the country anyway-they don't like Christmas,councils rename it so not to offend....don't like it?sod off!we critise them and we are racist!Takes the wee wee......x

Who exactly is taking over most of the country????? Muslims?? Britain has become multicultural, full of people of different races. I was born here and English is my first language. I am highly educated and pay high taxes. I have as much right to be here as you have!!! Don't like that I'm married to a muslim man and have a muslim daughter.... oh and God forbid, may have MORE muslim children!!!!!! Look away then.... we're here to stay.

Plus, I am a liberal muslim, and I don't agree with the extremists... what has happened is highly disrespectful, but that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to spout racial hatred....

Disgusting attitude.

I think Harveysmum's post might have been based on what some newspapers say, the changing of the word Christmas to Winterfest or whatever it was going to be.. After 7/7 everything that is suggest by a Muslim obviously hits the papers.. I dont agree with that but thats how it is.

As Iraqi muslims (yes Iraqi) we celebrate christmas too, with presents, tree and all the usual xmas stuff.... if 'Harveysmum' is small minded enough to believe everything she reads in the paper.... then it's not worth even addressing her.

I'm leaving this as I'm too worked up now, and I'm late for work! (yes! i work too!)

But there are Muslims out there that dont like to celebrate Christmas and they are the ones saying these things. It works both ways, there are things Christian and Cathlolics dont agree with that Muslims do but its just not written about.. I work too, I dont think thats got anything to do with it..

How dare you call me narrow minded!!The OP posted for people to give their opinion!I didn't pick you out personally did I???So how dare you do it to me!

LOL you said 'they are taking over this country'...that is UNBELIEVABLY narrow minded! If you are going to say something ignorant you will have to accept there will be a lot of criticism.

OK so wrong choice of words!But I didn't single one person out did i???I'm not the only person on the thread who has a similar opinion,but I'm the one being singled out and called narrow minded!!!???

[I already said that I'm not blaming Muslims for it :shrug: and I don't know any personally but things like the example I gave above about the nativity play have actually happened, not just written about in the paper. It's like the council that decided to only use halal meat in their school dinners. Not because Muslim people demanded it but because for some reason they were putting them before the rest of the community that wouldn't usually eat halal meat. And personally I wouldn't eat halal meat either because the way it is killed is horrible

ETA: Yes I know it's not the law... that's why I'm talking about political correctness and not that Muslims are taking over the country as that is simply not true

So why is it, when muslims come here, they decide they don't want to fall in line with our culture and start making demands they be changed? I don't necessarily blame muslims for that, I blame the government for not doing what a government in a muslim country would do, which is to tell them to like it or leave.

That is what you said, but now you're agreeing that Muslims aren't making demands but it it the British who are at fault, making changes without Muslims even requesting them to?

That is my point. Why are we punished for saying we dont want change when if we were in a Muslim country we would most likely be thrown out..

How are we being punished for saying we don't want change?

I have to be honest and say I don't really see any huge changes that mean our culture is being todden all over. What I see is a wider acceptance of everyone, trying to accomodate everyone.

There are lots of stories in the paper about this and that, but locally to me, there is still a Christmas Market, huge Christmas Trees in shopping centres, decorations, Christmas music, Santas Grotto, shops selling Christmas items, so what difference is it actually making to our lives?

Not one of my children has ever been in a nativity, their schools have always chosen pantomimes. Much better, especially for someone like me who an aetheist and would prefer my children to be brought up with a broader sense of relgion than Christianity or Catholicism so they can decide for themslves if thewy believe or not and what they believe in.

Disgusting attitude.

OK so wrong choice of words!But I didn't single one person out did i???I'm not the only person on the thread who has a similar opinion,but I'm the one being singled out and called narrow minded!!!???

I openly put my hands up and say I agreed with what she wrote because I understood what she meant.... Why should we have to change because of SOME Muslims. I as a Catholic/Christian do not say what they believe in is wrong so we shouldnt be told also. Yes I dont think that burning the poppy or spouting hate is right but so would any true Muslim.

[I already said that I'm not blaming Muslims for it :shrug: and I don't know any personally but things like the example I gave above about the nativity play have actually happened, not just written about in the paper. It's like the council that decided to only use halal meat in their school dinners. Not because Muslim people demanded it but because for some reason they were putting them before the rest of the community that wouldn't usually eat halal meat. And personally I wouldn't eat halal meat either because the way it is killed is horrible

So why is it, when muslims come here, they decide they don't want to fall in line with our culture and start making demands they be changed? I don't necessarily blame muslims for that, I blame the government for not doing what a government in a muslim country would do, which is to tell them to like it or leave.

That is what you said, but now you're agreeing that Muslims aren't making demands but it it the British who are at fault, making changes without Muslims even requesting them to?

I have to be honest and say I don't really see any huge changes that mean our culture is being todden all over. What I see is a wider acceptance of everyone, trying to accomodate everyone.

There are lots of stories in the paper about this and that, but locally to me, there is still a Christmas Market, huge Christmas Trees in shopping centres, decorations, Christmas music, Santas Grotto, shops selling Christmas items, so what difference is it actually making to our lives?

Not one of my children has ever been in a nativity, their schools have always chosen pantomimes. Much better, especially for someone like me who an aetheist and would prefer my children to be brought up with a broader sense of relgion than Christianity or Catholicism so they can decide for themslves if thewy believe or not and what they believe in.

Because we arent given the option. If they really wanted to change it they would and we wouldnt have a say, just like Appleblossom's sisters school. Did they offer the choice, no, they just cancelled it. To me thats a punishment for any child who wanted to be in the play...

I shoul have said I don't solely blame Muslims. Which I don't. The minority, yes, they are a pain in the arse. And they do make demands. But the government are equally as bad for giving in

iam with you here a bout being aetheist iam also but my partner and his family are catholic but its great as they are not like my mother and her husband and dont force it upon me and my mum is christian :dohh: lol iam christened but untill i was about 16 when my mum meet her husband we were braught up in a non religious household

Disgusting attitude.

Yes because yours was the most blatantly ignorant and offensive

3% of the country is Muslims, do you really fear your country is being taken over by Islam?

Disgusting attitude.

And yours wasnt offensive when you swore................................... :shrug:

Disgusting attitude.

And yours wasnt offensive when you swore................................... :shrug:

I didn't offend an entire religion of people living in this country

Disgusting attitude.

No,but the people who burnt the poppy did!!

Disgusting attitude.

But you offended me so whats the difference... So its ok that you didnt apologise to me even though you knew I was offended but your going to harp on about what Harveysmum has said.. Oh so hypocritical... Im off now as I am leaving work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->