brutally honest opinions needed

smileyfaces

Reaction score
Okay so I already have two boys...Oscar and Jack. I have been seriously struggling to find a name for this little boy this time round and with only a few weeks to go I am losing hope.

There is a name I like quite a lot but DH isn't fussed on it but has said that if I want it then I can have it since he chose Jacks name.

So I did a quick Google and found two threads from different parenting websites where people had asked for opinions on this name. The general consensus was that it was a really shit name and was just a dogs name, so it has completely made me feel like blahhhh.

If you heard this name, what would your opinions be? Please be honest. Oh, the other suggestion was that it is stupid because it sounds like soup :dohh:

The name is Baxter

I like it! And I think it goes nicely with Oscar and Jack 💙💙 and Bax as a nickname is so cool!

Since you asked for honesty, I have to admit that I personally don't like it. To me, it's very different from your other two names as well, which are both classic, traditional names. Baxter sounds a lot more trendy. Plus it reminds me of the guy from Scooter (remember them?), HP Baxter. But at the end of the day, YOU have to like it. Obviously it's nice if others like the name you picked but you'll be the one using it a million times a day over the next few years.

I have to agree with Amygdala, it's very different from your other boys names. I'm not really a fan, but he's your little boy and you should go with what feels right for you x

I agree with the ladies above me. It sounds very different and it does kinda remind me of a pet.

I also agree. Doesn't sound like it goes with your other boys' names. And it does sound like the name for a dog. On the kids show Arthur I believe his best friend, who was a rabbit, was named Buster Baxter. It was his last name, but really does sound like a pet name to me.

^ I immediately think of Buster Baxter as well.

I agree that I don't think it fits with your other kids' names at all. I don't really care for it, sorry.

I know two dogs called Baxter, so to me it's a dogs name. But it's your baby, your decision! X

What about Dexter as a relatively similar alternative? X

What about Dexter as a relatively similar alternative? X

I know two Dexters so its a no-no really!

Thanks for all the honest opinions. I honestly have never heard any dogs called Baxter but seems like it is defo a dogs name. I still like it though :wacko: but don't want the poor boy to sound like a dog!

Im not keen, sorry... I think of it as a surname. Your other 2 boys names are so lovely that I feel baxter doesn't quite live up to them.
I was also going to suggest Dexter!

Sorry just seen your reply re Dexter!

Chester also popped into my head x

Dexter is a no and chester doesn't really appeal to me at all! Argh this is so hard.

Only other possibility we have is Ted but I'm just not excited by it if that makes sense.

I adore Ted... Edward/Ted was my boys choice x

I would just have Ted, I wouldn't use Edward or Teddy or Theodore etc, just Ted. But like I say, whilst I like it, it just doesn't excite me!

Boys love Harry but me and DH don't want to use that.

Other than that we are pretty stumped.

The "it's a dog name" thing doesn't bother me. I mean, I wouldn't name a kid Fido, Spot, or Fluffy but I could consider Roscoe or Max. Baxter seems to me like it's a name that could work on human and canine alike.. But then I give human names to my fur babies so maybe that's why.

Honestly though, I don't care for the name. But I mean that in the way that means I wouldn't name one of my own Baxter. I don't hate it, it seems to fit the current style, I haven't heard it before (a plus in my book)... I would like it more if I met a great little boy with the name.

I'm not one for matching sibsets. My kids will be at least 15 years apart so having their names "go together" would be like a blast to the past for any future child of mine. I also don't think it's fair to limit choices for a second or third child that way. Some people are all about it which is wonderful but if I limited myself to names that sound right with my son's I'd be sad. I love his name and I want to love theirs too.

My suggestion is to keep searching but keep it on your list. 😊

What about something like finn, Leo, Dean, or kellan?

Honestly, I get the dog feeling from Baxter, so it makes me less of a fan.

I love Finn but DH hates it :( not keen on the other suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->