• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cake making and baking - ALL WELCOME

Hi Ladies, your cakes are all stunning, some amazing work.

I bake for fun really, but don't often have the time. Maci is one on wednesday and I'm hoping to bake a cake for Saturday for when we have family over. I'm thinking garden themed, so 'grass' base then thinking lady birds, bumble bees, caterpillars etc, which I plan to make myself but have a couple of questions :

I'm currently ordering some sugarflair colourings to play about with. The pots are 25g, will this be sufficient to make my bugs etc with? And colour my base green?

What is the best icing to use for my bugs? Was thinking I'd buy white fondant then seperate it and colour what I needed for what?

Buying white & colouring I find more tedious than buying coloured fondant but then I am usually carrying a stock of every colour of the rainbow in fondant, so it's not something I usually have to do.

However, you can easily achieve the colour you want by using white and colours, and sugarflair are really good.

How big is your cake? I would imagine 25g would be plenty. Colourings go very far. :flower:

Midori - wow!! your cakes are amazing!

Louppey - I love the little kingdom cake soooooooo much!

I've been really busy this week, did this cars cake, 70's cake and 200 cupcakes (which I stupidly didnt get any good photos of so hoping the photographer took some)

Natasha2605 - that sounds lovely what you've got in mind, ooo have you got a grass tip nozzle that would be good to use?

emma x

Attachments

• lesley bnb.jpg
    lesley bnb.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5
  • cars1.jpg
    cars1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks girls.

No I don't have the grass tip nozzle. That was the idea I was going to do, one tier, grass it out then place bugs in it.

Now though... I'm thinking two tiers, one covered in green icing, one sky blue. Bottom one i plan on making little trees, lady bugs, caterpillar, spiders, flowers. Top one I plan on doing some clouds and ,making pretty.

This is just how I envisage it. I may end up with a cake form asda if it doesn't work haha! Open to any suggestions people may have?

And a time scale? When should/ could I make the bugs for example? This is for Saturday and time wise I only really have the evenings when OH is home. I'm waiting for my order of colourings, they were dispatched yesterday and coming first class packet post so I'm praying they are here on time :)

You should be ok with first class post - fingers crossed.

I'd say get making the bugs & cloud pieces asap to give them time to dry out before going onto your cake.

Sounds like it will be lovely looking - good luck :D

Jenkins, thanks. Those cakes are geat, you haven't been making them for very long either, have you? :thumbup:

Jenkins, thanks. Those cakes are geat, you haven't been making them for very long either, have you? :thumbup:

Aww thanks :)

I did my very first one at the end of august for lo's birthday and completely shocked everyone and myself with how it turned out lol! I seemed to make a few until nov when I had to stop because my day job is in retail and very busy over Xmas, so these are the first I've done this year.

Have you ever been to the cake show? It's in Manchester next week and I'm definitely going to go. Just wondering what to expect xx

Thanks girls.

No I don't have the grass tip nozzle. That was the idea I was going to do, one tier, grass it out then place bugs in it.

Now though... I'm thinking two tiers, one covered in green icing, one sky blue. Bottom one i plan on making little trees, lady bugs, caterpillar, spiders, flowers. Top one I plan on doing some clouds and ,making pretty.

This is just how I envisage it. I may end up with a cake form asda if it doesn't work haha! Open to any suggestions people may have?

And a time scale? When should/ could I make the bugs for example? This is for Saturday and time wise I only really have the evenings when OH is home. I'm waiting for my order of colourings, they were dispatched yesterday an
d coming first class packet post so I'm praying they are here on time :)

Oh wow that does sound lovely. If the worst happens and your colourings don't come, dr oetker do a small pack of a mixture of ready coloured icing that they sell in supermarkets etc if you wanted to be able to crack on with your bugs etc.

Fingers crossed they come today for you.

X

Thanks girls.

And a time scale? When should/ could I make the bugs for example? This is for Saturday and time wise I only really have the evenings when OH is home. I'm waiting for my order of colourings, they were dispatched yesterday an

Oh wow that does sound lovely. If the worst happens and your colourings don't come, dr oetker do a small pack of a mixture of ready coloured icing that they sell in supermarkets etc if you wanted to be able to crack on with your bugs etc.

X

They didn't come. PRAYING they come in tomorrow's post, if not it will be a mad dash to asda for some colourings. Was in asda today and didn't even think to pick up some already coloured one, although I did get some packs of icing. Cooking the first two sponges tonight and think I'll make some clouds :)

Ok, think i'm pretty much ready to have a bash at making my son's second birthday cake but wanted your opinion on colours if you dont mind. I was thinking baby blue cake with white and turquoise or arctic blue decoration, what do you think of those colours together?

All shades of blue & white will work great together. Nice idea Bluebird :) good luck!

Thanks girls.

X

I have used the Dr Oetker pack, I thought it was really good cos I didn't end up with loads of waste. They didn't taste too bad either.

Thanks girls.

X

They didn't come. PRAYING they come in tomorrow's post, if not it will be a mad dash to asda for some colourings. Was in asda today and didn't even think to pick up some already coloured one, although I did get some packs of icing. Cooking the first two sponges tonight and think I'll make some clouds :)

How did you get on?
xx

Did anyone go to the cake show??

I went on Friday. I'm really glad I went, although it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I imagined it to be bigger and unfortunately I'm a short arse so struggled to see most of the stalls as it was super super busy.

I bought some half spheres to make domes which I have been wanting for ages and also some patterned rolling pins so quite happy:happydance:

There were some absolutely amazing cakes there competing, the judges must have had a tough time judging they were all so incredible!

I made this Moshi Monsters cake this week for my niece and she loved it so I was very happy :happydance:

Attachments

• moshi2.jpg
    moshi2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 13
  • moshi1.jpg
    moshi1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 15
I really love it, such a fabulous idea. One I may *cough* steal *cough* for myself hehe :D

I really love it, such a fabulous idea. One I may *cough* steal *cough* for myself hehe :D

Hehehe I would honestly be honoured :thumbup:

another angle lol!

Attachments

• moshi3.jpg
    moshi3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
That's fab Jenkins, I love it! I have been gawping at all the cake international pics on fb, I might go to the Glasgow show later in the year. To do those dome toppers, I bought some foam tennis balls from Early Learning Centre and chopped them in half. They work great!

Attachments

• b6ee61a7-eb9d-4dbd-a4b8-0193e6a2e7a5_zps434c43c5.jpg
    b6ee61a7-eb9d-4dbd-a4b8-0193e6a2e7a5_zps434c43c5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 9
That's fab Jenkins, I love it! I have been gawping at all the cake international pics on fb, I might go to the Glasgow show later in the year. To do those dome toppers, I bought some foam tennis balls from Early Learning Centre and chopped them in half. They work great!

Oh that's a brilliant idea!!!! And so much cheaper!!!
I'm goin to copy you and do this too as I only got 6 and was thinking I could do with more :)

Love the detail on your cupcakes, it's really effective, they're so pretty:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->