Cake Making & Baking Group

I changed my sponge recipe yesterday, not sure why tbh but they came out lovely and flat on the top, it was the recipe on the back of my castor sugar.

I've done the weighing eggs one and the old school 4,4,4 &2, but this is the best and lightest so far

125g/ 4 1/2oz softened butter
125g/ 4 1/2oz caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
1tps vanilla extract
125g/4 1/2oz SR flour
2tbs milk

It is the basic mixing recipe though.

I'm making some more today, gonna do 24 Lemon and 24 Chocolate, it wasn't going to be that many but decided to give some to my Friend (10), my mum and dad(6), some for my work(8)and some for Ant (10)take to work :rofl:

Nuttymummy, love the cake :cloud9:

Ummmm Lorrilou, i think it was you who said about chocolate cake, im not a fan of "powders" i prefer to use real chocolate, it just takes so much better. Try melting down some chocolate and then adding a little bit of double cream, should work out better in "chocolateyness" :lol:

Jacqui, the ice cream cones i got were made by Askeys, i got them in Asda and Sainsburys, you need waffle/sugar cones not the wafery type yo get off the ice cream man iykwim? Well ... i havent tried it with those but logic tells me they will melt once you put the mixture in :lol: All recipes ive seen say to use waffle/sugar ones

I changed my sponge recipe yesterday, not sure why tbh but they came out lovely and flat on the top, it was the recipe on the back of my castor sugar.

I've done the weighing eggs one and the old school 4,4,4 &2, but this is the best and lightest so far

125g/ 4 1/2oz softened butter
125g/ 4 1/2oz caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
1tps vanilla extract
125g/4 1/2oz SR flour
2tbs milk

It is the basic mixing recipe though.

I'm making some more today, gonna do 24 Lemon and 24 Chocolate, it wasn't going to be that many but decided to give some to my Friend (10), my mum and dad(6), some for my work(8)and some for Ant (10)take to work :rofl:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds yummy hun x

I tend to use plain cupcake cases, I seem to always revert back to the brown ones!

I have every colour imaginable though, but I think I threw out the patterned ones I had because they looked sort of greasy once I had baked in them iykwim?!

Lovely cake Tracey, I am so impressed by everyones enthusiasm!!

Mine is lacking again, but I find I go through phases like this, I am swaying back towards sewing again!!!! :blush:

Time to get the other expensive hobby equipment out LOL!!

I tend to use plain cupcake cases, I seem to always revert back to the brown ones!

I have every colour imaginable though, but I think I threw out the patterned ones I had because they looked sort of greasy once I had baked in them iykwim?!

Lovely cake Tracey, I am so impressed by everyones enthusiasm!!

Mine is lacking again, but I find I go through phases like this, I am swaying back towards sewing again!!!! :blush:

Time to get the other expensive hobby equipment out LOL!!

Yer i know what you mean about them looking greasy hun.
the cake shop by me sells 25 cupcakes in bold colours for £1 so i might give them a go.
They wanted £3 for the sugar flair colouring!...thought i would get them online instead.

x

Tracey where do you get your cupcake cases from? The brown ones you usually use for the black forest beauties? (PS, love the christening cake!)

I have just been using Gold and Silver ones from Sainsbury's and they're annoying me. They don't hold to the shape of the cakes and start to peal away, grrrr! Time for a change I think.

I made 36 cupcakes yesterday as I was suppossed to go and meet a load of friends and their LO's but unfortunately I woke up at 6am this morning feeling awful.
So now I have 36 Chocolate fudge, Oreo and Lemon curd cupcakes with no home! I was thinking of taking them into work on Monday. Do you think they'll be OK? I made them between 14.00 and 17:30 yesterday, and they're in airtight tupperware boxes.

I'd take them in to work, they last a good few days, I don't have airtight boxes big enough to hold mine (mental not to buy some) I ate one the other day that had just been in the biscuit tin that was 4 days old and it still tasted lovely and soft.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Whoppy, dunno where Tracey gets hers, but I buy my brown ones that look the same from asda! They are super cheap too, something like 54p a pack!
They hold the shape fab too!

Andrea i use those too, and i also use the plain pastel ones from Craftcompany, you get 100 in a pack for about £2, do you know the ones i mean?

I know exactley whay you mean about the "greasy" look, really spoils them i think :hissy:

Thanks girls!

I have an Asda round the corner so will definately check them out!

Here's a rubbish pic of my cupcakes. Excuse the GIANT Oreo! I really wanted to make them but Sainsbury's had no mini ones, so I thought begger it I'm making them anyway! lol
So here are chocolate fudge with a dipped strawberry, Lemon sponge with lemon curd filling and lemon icing, and Oreo topped chocolate cake with oreo vanilla buttercream.
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/P1030547.jpg
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/P1030549.jpg

whoopy that oreo one looks amazing...what sort of frosting did you use.

Any tips on making sure their are no air bubbles in piping bag?

Thanks girls!

I have an Asda round the corner so will definately check them out!

Here's a rubbish pic of my cupcakes. Excuse the GIANT Oreo! I really wanted to make them but Sainsbury's had no mini ones, so I thought begger it I'm making them anyway! lol
So here are chocolate fudge with a dipped strawberry, Lemon sponge with lemon curd filling and lemon icing, and Oreo topped chocolate cake with oreo vanilla buttercream.
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/P1030547.jpg
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/P1030549.jpg
They look fab
I've just done Lemon too (facebooked them)
I made 2 cakes explode with Jack helping me :rofl:

whoopy that oreo one looks amazing...what sort of frosting did you use.

Any tips on making sure their are no air bubbles in piping bag?

I just made normal butter cream and added a little vanilla. I took 2 Oreo's and put them in a plastic bag, bashed them to bits with a rolling pin then whisked them into the buttercream. Yummy just realllllly sweet.

I made sure I didn't refil the icing bag until I'd finished using what was already in there. If there wasn't enough for the next cake I squeezed it back into the bowl and then refilled it. HTH I'll be looking out for the other ladies tips!

Thats a really good idea.It looks like hagen Daz cookies and cream ice cream.Yum!!!

Thats a really good idea.It looks like hagen Daz cookies and cream ice cream.Yum!!!

Oh could you imagine eating one with a big dollop of that one the side? Nom nom nommmmmmmmm!!!!

I notice that a few of you have the Hummingbird bakery book, would you recommend it?

I like the hummingbird bakery recipe book but to be honest i like the puddings in there more than the cupcakes...

It's a good book to have though and has some lovely recipes.

Mmmm Hagen Daz cookies and cream cupcakes *drools*

hi whoppy...thats what my idea was for the oreo cupcakes (crushed into the topping)
they look lovely!!!

i get my cases from either asda (they come in a pack with white though) or u can get just the brown ones from morrisons.

yeah i always go for the brown too andrea, i think they look nice!! i never want to use my patterned ones!! LOL

granny jo...your recipe is almost the same as the weighed one....if u weigh the 2 eggs they will be about 125g LOL xx

also about the tops of the cupcakes cracking, try cooking them on a lower setting or lowering your shelf n see if that works xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->