Cake Making & Baking Group

Ive made 2 batches of cupcakes this weekend and theyve both come out rubbish Im so upset :( My last ones were so perfect, only thing I did differently this time is replaced the vanilla essence with lemon. I dont knowwww!!! Need a bit more practice :( x

What was wrong with them? Don't be upset xxx

I decided not to ice the cake as I didn't have enough icing to make the buttercream :( so I made a lemon drizzle to go on top instead and it is yum-my. Will take a photo in the morning xxx

Hi :wave: ladies, I've just found this thread earlier today and read about the last 20 pages. So some of you do it professionally? I just dabble with baking but my pleasure just now it cupcakes. I've started to give them as gifts. I feel it's an nice touch. Here are the latest ones I've done for a friend who just had a baby girl. I have the Primrose Hill Bakery book and I love the couple of recipes I've done so far and I love the cream cheese icing however I would really like to know how you get the topping/icing to look really light and fluffy looking (sorry can't remember user name) like the last purple icing was.

Anyway he're's my latest attempt. Oh and it's this great, on BnB and not talking about ttc! :yipee:

Hiya Wallie :wave:
They look lovely :)

I have the primrose hill book , but haven't followed any recipes yet, the half SR and half Plain flour throws me off, so I just kind of look and adapt.

Was the purple iced one with dolly mixtures on top? If so that was mine :) I use a cream cheese butter cream, the recipe is on the 1st page.

*edit* dunno why the picture hasn't quoted :confused:

I decided not to ice the cake as I didn't have enough icing to make the buttercream :( so I made a lemon drizzle to go on top instead and it is yum-my. Will take a photo in the morning xxx

LOL I was gonna suggest lemon drizzle cos I LOVE it!!

:hi: girls xx

everyones cakes are looking yummy

im gonna make some coconut cupcakes tomorrow with mascapone filling

im desperate to make alex's birthday cakes to see what they look like - im sooo impatient i was even considering making them fruit so i could do something with them :rofl:

OOooohhhh leanne, not long till you have to make them for real!

What date is his birthday?

I have the primrose hill book , but haven't followed any recipes yet, the half SR and half Plain flour throws me off, so I just kind of look and adapt.

Was the purple iced one with dolly mixtures on top? If so that was mine :) I use a cream cheese butter cream, the recipe is on the 1st page.

Sorry I could't remember your user name and my pages don't load very quick on my laptop. I should have remembered as my mum is a Granny Jo!

Oh, right it's in the Primrose book :dohh: I maybe don't use a big enough piping head? Mmmm not sure really why mine doesn't look as good as yours. It sort of settles a bit once you've had them in the fridge. Actually I've got some icing left, I'll have a play and use my piping bag with the big nozzle and see how it turns out. I've no cakes left but I'll put it on a rich tea biscuit.

Thanks!

OOooohhhh leanne, not long till you have to make them for real!

What date is his birthday?

his birthday is the 16th , i am looking forwards to it but am not in a way because it means im back at work the following week:cry:

Sorry I could't remember your user name and my pages don't load very quick on my laptop. I should have remembered as my mum is a Granny Jo!

Oh, right it's in the Primrose book :dohh: I maybe don't use a big enough piping head? Mmmm not sure really why mine doesn't look as good as yours. It sort of settles a bit once you've had them in the fridge. Actually I've got some icing left, I'll have a play and use my piping bag with the big nozzle and see how it turns out. I've no cakes left but I'll put it on a rich tea biscuit.

Thanks!

:) no worries, my name is an Admin Joke, they think they are very funny :lol:

I meant the icing I use is on the first page of this thread, I use the Wilton 1M nozzle I think it is.

I don't keep mine in the fridge so maybe that is the difference, you'll have to join our facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=110758552269283&ref=ts

Hello lovely bakers :) could some one tell me what certificates i need to start my own cake business from home? Xxx

unsure, but I am certain your will need your Health & Hygiene certificate. Possibly a visit from the Enviromental Health to make sure everything is suitable for selling food.

They are super strict, I used to deal with them at work and they pick up on the teeniest little thing!

Hey girls....just popping in to ask a question.....

Its about buttercream filling to sandwich a cake.....

So I use soft butter, icing sugar and soft cheese....tastes lovely! HOWEVER, when i want to make it chocolate....the butter seperates....

I have tried melting the chocolate directly and putting it in, using cocoa powder and mixing in the buttercream, mixing the cocoa powder with water....and it always comes out chocolate butter cream with little lumps of butter that can be seen....hope this makes sense?

What am i doing wrong?

Hey girls....just popping in to ask a question.....

Its about buttercream filling to sandwich a cake.....

So I use soft butter, icing sugar and soft cheese....tastes lovely! HOWEVER, when i want to make it chocolate....the butter seperates....

I have tried melting the chocolate directly and putting it in, using cocoa powder and mixing in the buttercream, mixing the cocoa powder with water....and it always comes out chocolate butter cream with little lumps of butter that can be seen....hope this makes sense?

What am i doing wrong?
Hmmm not sure but after leaving my kitchen looking like something out of CSI with the icing sugar I blend the butter and cheese together really well first, making sure they have softened at room temperature for an hour or so, then add the icing in 3 lots, then I had my melted chocolate/cocoa and blend well again.

Are you doing it by hand or with an electric whisk?

Morning I've come for Some beginners advice from you talented people! I've loved baking for a long time ad I want to start baking and icing cakes but have none of the tools apart from an oven to do so! So my question to you, is what do I need to buy as essentials to start having a go? Then I can set to buying stuff bit by bit and join in the fun :)

Ive made 2 batches of cupcakes this weekend and theyve both come out rubbish Im so upset :( My last ones were so perfect, only thing I did differently this time is replaced the vanilla essence with lemon. I dont knowwww!!! Need a bit more practice :( x

What was wrong with them? Don't be upset xxx

The first batch I made a dozen using:

100g self raising flour
100g salt free butter/marge
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
1stp lemon flavouring.

I put them in the over and slightly turned the heat down (as suggested to make them flat) but they just came out really stodgy & hard, they were cooked the whole way through but they were so stodgy they just didn't taste fully coooked if that makes sense?

My second batch I only made 6 & used the same ingredients but halved them. They taste okish but not perfect, and they look funny on top - not brown but like... dimply, if that makes sense. Im going to ice them so its not a big deal but tbh I was hoping they'd come out better considering the first batch of cupakes I ever made were incredible lol

Im going to give it another shot tonight but I also want to make some choccy ones just not sure wether to add cocoa powder or similar to make them chocolaty?

Any ideas what Im doing wrong are suggestions are much appreciated, or if anyone has a better recipe :)

Thanks :) After my first batch my husband was like "OMG these are amazing you could sell them!" and now they're just a bit rubbish :(

x

Girls, about to do cake. Where's Jac on msn when you need her haha! Weighing 3 eggs wasnt enough mix, but 6 is too much. Can i use the same method, i.e weigh 4 eggs and use the same amount SR flour, c sugar and flour??

Elec whisk to hand ! yeye! oh and i need a foolproof butercream recipe. One on front page is oz and grams, i need one in oz lol!

Wish me luck or someone has an order on their hands!

sam louize, yeah weighing the eggs is fine, any amount as long as they match the egg weight xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->