Cake Making & Baking Group

Hey :) I've been lurking around this thread for a while and everyones cakes look really good :D

I seem to have a problem with buttercream icing, i made my OH a cake the other day for his birthday and the buttercream was fine then, but then i also made some cupcakes the day after and was going to ice buttercream the tops but when i made it, the buttercream just seperated :( and it same's happend tonight.. is it because the butter was warm? i had left the tub out after making the cake. I'm icing a birthday cake for my mam tomorrow and need to make some new buttercream and wondered how i can make it so it won't seperate, i'll be mixing it by hand..

Thanks

This is probably a silly question but when making buttercream do I have to use normal powdered icing sugar or can I use the silver spoon powdered fondant instead. Just I picked it up by accident, though it wont go to waste if it can't be used for buttercream.

babydance! for a first attempt those cakes are amazing! if my first few attempts come out like that i would be chuffed to pieces! i agree with whats been said though, word of mouth etc and baking for family and friends would probably be better to start of with as you'd probably be amazed at how much business you could drum up!

babydance! for a first attempt those cakes are amazing! if my first few attempts come out like that i would be chuffed to pieces! i agree with whats been said though, word of mouth etc and baking for family and friends would probably be better to start of with as you'd probably be amazed at how much business you could drum up!

Thats kinda what im meaning about a business, ill get a web site eventually. Ive only been decorating 1 month but ive been baking since i was 3 lol and properly baking since i was 17/18 so my cake is never an issue its just the decorating. I might take a class.
Ive spoken to an accountant about starting a business so im aware of all the sneaky ways to work it, legally btw! Lol and i wont pay tax until i earn over £6500 per year anyway and as my company wont be ltd if i stay under my £6500 limit per year ill not have to pay tax.
Ideally im looking to do wedding cakes as im a Wedding Planner
to trade but being a SAHM Wedding Planning is far too time consuming!! Once shes in nursery i can begin that. Xx

hi girls!!!
how big are the butterflies hun? if they are thick, u can push the wire inside and let them dry, if they are small, i add a tiny bit of edible glue, put the wire on, then get a small ball of fondant and put it ontop of the wire, squash it down till it sticks to the glue. not sure if any of that made sense!!?? LOL

baby dance i agree with andrea, i too sell cakes, but am not a business, its just through word of mouth, and thats crazy busy at the best of times!! LOL
i too expect cake business' to be perfect, but sadly some people go straight ahead and open a business, then i get people coming to me after bad experiences (one bloke ordered a blue subaru cake from a 'professional' ...u have never seen something so...weird in all your life LOL they were really disappointed, it ruined the surprise and they felt they had been robbed!)
saying that though...people only ever take in the overall look of the cake...they dont seem to notice slight imperfections as they are too busy looking at the cake as a whole.
your cupcakes look lovely, just practice getting the icing 'together' theres some gaps between the piping where u can see the cake...but they do look really lovely (only telling u as a business point of view) otherwise id say they were perfect!!
and agree with andrea, one looks rather wet....and that wont dry properly.
id keep at it hun, and when u feel confident enough that they are perfect u can look into getting a business.

people tell me to set one up all the time.....one woman is doing everything in her power to do so!! shes trying to find me a courrier and everything, but to be honest im happy as i am, i feel loads of pressure when im doing cakes for family and friends, never mind anyone else,...and actually SENDING them!!! how gutted would people be if it turned up damaged??!! theyd be gutted and that too would ruin the surprise.
shes looking into premises in town....im like NO!!!!! dont want it!! LOL

i bet being a wedding planner is so cool!!!!

love ur cupcakes linzi!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cherry bakewells....(i once ate 6 in 2 days :blush:) LOL

i agree, almond flavour sponge, jam filling, icing on the top and a cherry ;) MMMMMMMMMM

See all you lovely ladies who do it for friends and family do you do it for cash?
Ps the wet cake lol that was actually it dried? X

Jus poppin in to say thtnks for those links yesterday there's some awesome stuff on there! Do any of you ladies buy bits and bobs from hobbycraft for cake making? I have one aroud the corner from me, but don't wanna buy if it's naff quality or too much money for what you get etc etc! X

Holly I would do almond sponge as well, layer of Jam and then icing :thumbup:

Well Ant took some of the ones I made at the weekend to work, 5 Lemon, 5Choc apparently it was carnage and he didn't even get one :rofl:

So I made some more last night but muffin size, I did choc/orange and some Lemon again
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/DSCF1082.jpg
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/jodielou/DSCF1084.jpg

Oh gosh I was icing still at 9.45 :dohh:, I had to do them in 4 lots as I only have a 6 hole muffin tray and obviously they take longer to cook.

My mum wants some to take into work as well for Friday, she is going to have to get me some more cream cheese though.

I told Ant to tell them at work if they want more they can pay :lol:

I also need to new icing bags but do not want to look on the craftcompany site as I am already waiting for a £13 order to come :blush:

hey charlotte, no havent tried hobbycraft, i dont think theres one near me??? but im sure a girl from here mentioned hobbycrafy before?

babydance, did u brush the ribbon part with water?
yeah i charge for the ingredients and the electric...i have an electric oven eeeeeekkkk!!!! my bill was £60 before, dread what the meter is going to read this time :rofl:

so what does a wedding planner actually do?? whats ur favourite bits :) u have a well good job!! xx

granny jo...crossed posts!! they look brilliant hun!!!

theres LOADS of cake stuff to buy isnt there!! LOL ive run out of white icing, and a few other colours, and ive spent £140!! i go through loads!!

H0obbycraft is good, but very expensive!

Jac, are your butterflies quite thick? or are they really delicate?

I did some small ones as they were the only ones that co me out of the cutter whole, the others were just the wings in 2 peices so have ordered some plunger ones.
am i best doing them quite thick then?

jac, i replied to your butterfly question a few posts back......i find thin ones work better, just because if they are too heavy sometimes the wire will go straight through them if not left to dry long enough, nice light ones glued on well work best for me :)

think of using fondant to 'blu-tack' the wire to the butterfly LOL

Hey Ladiess! :D Wondering if anyone has a really yummy chocolaty cupcake recipe? I think Im guna do some with white and some with dark chocolate buttercream icing, but want the actual cakes to be lush and chocolatey too, and dont wana just google a recipe and it end up being rubbish! Any ideas?

xx

jac, i replied to your butterfly question a few posts back......i find thin ones work better, just because if they are too heavy sometimes the wire will go straight through them if not left to dry long enough, nice light ones glued on well work best for me :)

think of using fondant to 'blu-tack' the wire to the butterfly LOL

Agree! LOL

I have done thicker ones before and they really do need alot of drying time before you stick the wire through.

Hobby craft is sooooo expensive, mostly because everything is so cool and I want to buy it all, so rarely go there!!!

Jo your cupcakes are fabulous! I keep getting requests from OH's work, I did all my "testing flavours/recipes etc" on all of them so now they want more!!!

Butter tablet is their favourite though! Wasn't too chuffed to find out the bloody prisoners were eating it all too!:growlmad:

(he works in a prison btw!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->