Cake Making & Baking Group

should be plenty of mixture xx

well shes collected the cake now...so here is my first ever number 1 cake LOL

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs444.ash1/24467_381921458322_509248322_3854984_6986884_n.jpg

Kim glad you just asked that as im stuck too. I think it was taperjeangirl who told me for a sponge recipe to do 6 eggs weighed with shells and then the equal measures for self raising flour sieved three times, caster sugar sieved three times and stork marg.

however my question is im doing two eight inch tins for my cake. Is this mixture enough for both or do i need to make more?!

Yeah that'll be plenty of mixture.

Tracey I've been meaning to ask you how do you do your lettering? It always looks perfect.

PSB good luck with the wedding cake! Sounds like you may need to employ 2 strong men and a wheel barrow to deliver it!

Kris I'm glad you had a good night out celebrating. I still haven't been out and had more than 2 drinks, but I have a holiday to Tenerife coming up soon so no doubt I'll make up for the last couple of years in that week!

Tracey that is fgantastic I love it :)

Ok bit of help please ladies, I am having a girls night in in 2 weeks with a group of friends, 2 of whom are pregnant and one will ve about 2 weeks off her due date, I've been railroaded into making some cupcakes, which is fine as I enjoy doing it.

Now I know 1 is having a boy and the other one we don't know, I cannot find neautral baby type toppers at all, any ideas whee I could get soem from? I was looking at little feet, I think if all else fails I may have to do just cutey things, I've seen some duck picks, I dunno, I'm stuck and really not confident to try and make my own :(
HELP PLEASE!!! :kiss:

aw little feet would be cute for the cupcakes Granny Jo or a teddy bear. Nutty Mummy how on earth are your letters so cool how do you do that?! probably lots of practise! Ok thanks ladies so that will be plenty of mixture for two eight inch tins.

Bought a cake smoother today, blimming hope it works. Can you get edible pens that you draw with i.e on icing? Ive got to do a buddha but need to add certain detail and the only way i think of it is by drawing it on with a pen but obviously its got to be edible. Like a black felt tip kind of pen if you know what i mean. xx

I've just got an edible pen from
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=https%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecraftcompany%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=pen&PN=Pens%2ehtml%23aEPAFB#aEPAFB

If you think you will need a few things get them all at once if you can then P+P seems to go down, I spent just under £50 yesterday Inc Postage and it came bright and earlier this morning with parcel force x

thanks girls...the letters are cut out of fondant with a tappit set :)

granny jo....im making come christening cupcakes with little feet on..i could only get blue or pink, but theres someone on ebay who does white ones too...u can have a mixture of blue and white aswell as she does little mixtures xx

cassy, i have an edible pen...i dont use it to be honest, its hard to draw on sometimes as the tip just sinks into the icing...its much easier to hand paint it on, i do it with watered down paste colours xx

BTW the model i made is De-Li from waybuloo LOL
https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd85/noorazimah/waybuloo-deli-toy.gif

wow kris..your cake looks fab!:thumbup:

Tracey, brilliant as always:cloud9:

I've not made any cakes for a few days now and am having withdrawals:rofl: I think Im getting ready for my big mission on friday, Leo's 1st birthday cake!! Put in an order from craft company this morning.....what is their delivery timing like girls?

Quick q, how can I make chocolate fondant for the top of cupcakes? Ive tried adding cocoa to buttercream but it doesnt go dark enough and cant find a brown food colouring....i want it to taste like choc too..?

another question, sorry:blush:...what butter do you girls use for your buttercream? Ive been using stork, same stuff i put in my cakes....:shrug:

wow kris..your cake looks fab!:thumbup:

Tracey, brilliant as always:cloud9:

I've not made any cakes for a few days now and am having withdrawals:rofl: I think Im getting ready for my big mission on friday, Leo's 1st birthday cake!! Put in an order from craft company this morning.....what is their delivery timing like girls?

Quick q, how can I make chocolate fondant for the top of cupcakes? Ive tried adding cocoa to buttercream but it doesnt go dark enough and cant find a brown food colouring....i want it to taste like choc too..?

Depends on how big the order, I did a big one yesterday and got 24hr Parcel force as standard, too big/heavy for royal Mail, it cam early this morning. other than that mine have been 2 days

I mix melted chocolate chips into mine

another question, sorry:blush:...what butter do you girls use for your buttercream? Ive been using stork, same stuff i put in my cakes....:shrug:

Naughty girl, I use proper butter, usually tesco value TBH, it says slightly salted but makes no odds, I usually get it out of the fridge an hour before I want it to soften it.
Then I mix cheese and butter first adding icing sugar slowly or you get a cloud :rofl:

I use real butter for mine too Jac :)

I dont know how to make choccy fondant! I would just buy it tbh!

My orders from there are usually so big I get them within 24 hours!

Thanks Jo, the postage company was parcelforce as it was over a certain weight....lots of fondant:blush:

Ohhhh i shall try some proper butter then:thumbup: I love it half and half with cheese but the kids dont like it with cheese in...fussy beggars:dohh:

Would I need lots of chocolate chips or would I be better with melted chocolate in a bar? Hmmm still wont taste like betty crocker stuff though will it...:haha:

I just add some melted chocolate Jac, that seems to do the trick!!

I whisked 6 eggs added 200g sieved self raising flour and 200g sugar and 2 teaspoons of baking powder (got from google) and it came out like hard and tasted eggy .. Anyone know what i did wrong:dohh:

Thanks Jo, the postage company was parcelforce as it was over a certain weight....lots of fondant:blush:

Ohhhh i shall try some proper butter then:thumbup: I love it half and half with cheese but the kids dont like it with cheese in...fussy beggars:dohh:

Would I need lots of chocolate chips or would I be better with melted chocolate in a bar? Hmmm still wont taste like betty crocker stuff though will it...:haha:
Nah not betty crocker quality but still nice, I got my choc chips from costco, big tub of begian choc, the bettter choc you use the nicer it is I find, so if you can splash out on some good stuff :thumbup:

Oh and craft company do a brown colour paste, I know it's too late but .... :lol:

I have found another cake shop very close to me in fact I work within 5 mins walking distance twice a week, Oh dear :rofl:

I whisked 6 eggs added 200g sieved self raising flour and 200g sugar and 2 teaspoons of baking powder (got from google) and it came out like hard and tasted eggy .. Anyone know what i did wrong:dohh:

Looks like you forgot to add butter, or did you mean to leave that out? I've just made a sponge cake(its cooling) :D used the recipe on the flour packet.
it was the same as yours but with butter and without baking power and its came out okay.

there is no butter there love that could be why

Why don't you try a 4,4, 4 & 2 recipe to start off, dead easy

4oz castor sugar
4oz butter
4oz self raising flour
2 eggs

combine your butter and sugar until fluffy and light, slowly add your egg, still whisking, then gradually add your flour and whisk well.

will make 12 buns, gas mark 5 for 10-15 minutes

Obviously if you are doing a cake you can double the amounts if you want and adjust cooking times

Kim did you forget the butter?! and it came out hard and eggy?! god and i thought google knew everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->