Cake Making & Baking Group

Ladies!
I would like some help if poss.
I just made this cake for my god daughter's birthday tomorrow and although it looks ok I had a mare with the fondant covering? How do you get it so you dont see the bit where the icing folds on to itself? Does that make sense? When you ice a round cake I never see the overlap at the side?
Also, how do I stop it showing the two cakes through? I put lots of buttercream in and yet in places you can still see the join?

That is probably goobledegook sorry but any help appreciated :flower:

Hi, this video is quite useful and shows you how to smooth the sugarpaste without it creasing, however, i find it best to push up slightly rather than pull done on the icing as she suggests as I find that the icing can sometimes start to 'fray' or tear on the edges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is1DxUeMtP0

With regards to the 'seam' between the two layers (I think this is what you mean?) you maybe filing with too much buttercream, making the seam more obvious, try a little bit less and I always fil in obvious gaps with a little fondant icing 'wedged' into the gap and cover the whole cake twice with sugarpaste, just as you would a fruit cake with marzipan and then a layer of sugarpaste.
HTH xx

Ladies, do any of you have any step by step pictures i could have a look at?! From like putting both sponges together to actually putting the fondant icing on and decorating it?

No worries if not but thought i'd ask before i attempt my own and knowing my luck, it'll go completely wrong!

:blush:

Hi Polo_princess, just noticed you're getting married shortly - are you going to do your own cake? What are you having? (sorry I'm so nosey!) nearly made my own but MIL had no faith in me (still doesn't so no change there!:roll:) so she offered to pay and I took her up on it! (She regrets it now when she realises how much she could have saved! :haha:) Haven't made a wedding cake yet, I think i'll be so nervous when I do!

Ladies, do any of you have any step by step pictures i could have a look at?! From like putting both sponges together to actually putting the fondant icing on and decorating it?

No worries if not but thought i'd ask before i attempt my own and knowing my luck, it'll go completely wrong!

:blush:

Sorry I don't at the moment, the other ladies on here maybe able to help you though! If not let me know, I've got a couple of cakes to make this week and i may be able to take pics if you still want me to. When do you need them by?

I don't need them by a certain date hun, i was just going to attempt to do a cake because my niece is getting christened soon and i was debating doing one for her :)

Thank you though :hugs:

waiting on 3, that cake is fab!! so neat! its brilliant!

i think......green with orange bow i think :)
though the middle of this tier i found on google is the opposite way round and looks good!

https://www.misquincemag.com/cm/misquincemag/images/vb/pink_big-cake231-fb.jpg

do u cover all your cakes twice in sugarpaste? ive always thought about doing that myself sometimes for a smoother look, but i always think the taste is going to affect it (twice as much fondant!) and secondly the price....because the fondant is always the dearest part of the cake. so i always stick with one layer.

waiting on 3, that cake is fab!! so neat! its brilliant!

i think......green with orange bow i think :)
though the middle of this tier i found on google is the opposite way round and looks good!

https://www.misquincemag.com/cm/misquincemag/images/vb/pink_big-cake231-fb.jpg

do u cover all your cakes twice in sugarpaste? ive always thought about doing that myself sometimes for a smoother look, but i always think the taste is going to affect it (twice as much fondant!) and secondly the price....because the fondant is always the dearest part of the cake. so i always stick with one layer.

Thanks for that, you're right it does look good, helps me to imagine it a bit better! I think I was imagining it in my head with the colours alot stronger and just though OMG! but I definatley prefer them together paler but still orange and lime green IYKWIM??!!
Yes, I do always cover them twice now, after lots of trial and error I've found it the smoothest way to ice a cake, I only use a thinnish layer of cheaper sugarpaste for the bottom layer, so it's only a little bit thicker and no one has commented on it being too sweet, etc.
I can't stand icing myself :haha:!

lol, i know....its not the most common colour scheme, but at least it looks ok together...very funky!! ive been asked to do some daft colour combos and ive always swayed them into something that matches more! :rofl:

doesnt it cost you a bomb to cover it twice!!?? i know it looks better (as fruit cake has two layers, marzipan and icing....i enjoy doing those!) but i always think my prices are high as it is, never mind adding another whole hunk of icing! i dont mind eating fondant.....only abit though, i have a mega sweet tooth! LOL

Tracey, Ive started covering mine twice....I find I get a much neater finish.

I leave the buttercream to set for about half an hour or so then do a thinnish layer of fondant then a thicker layer, just using a glaze to stick the 2 layers of fondant together. (learnt this off cake boss:thumbup:)

Polo- I would do either silver or red cupcake cases with the logos (F in circle) out of fondant on the top:thumbup:

I'm just waiting on my lady to collect her 30 princess cupcakes and the top tier of my christening cake is done.

Girls, I made a rope out of fondant last night but the blue fondant has slightly cracked in places overnight...why is this and how can I avoid it happening in future?

Has anyone used chocolate modelling fondant? I fancy doing a blossom cake for a friends mum next week, and want to use this stuff to do all the branches....is it expensive?

I think for a 7" square cake I use about 500g of sugarpaste, but only supermarket sugarpaste (I personally find it as good as Regal Ice, I've never had any problems or concerns with it, will use regal Ice for top layer if i'm doing a 'proper' cake, like the ones this week where I'm being paid to do it professionally, although probably still not charging enough!) Tescos is about £1 for 500g and I think I can get it from Asda for about 95p!

Tracey has done some AMAZING me to you cakes hun!! Have a look through the thread I'm sure there will be pics somewhere!! xx

I really fancy making something today but not sure what :) I want to make something my little man will like coz he's still poorly. Might try flapjacks or another traybake of some kind :) x

jac, did u hand colour the blue? ive found if i hand colour something...especially blue, or grey i find it cracks on drying. the ready coloured stuff seems to be fine though. xx the paste colour seems to dry it out abit.

i havent used chocolate fondant (i know the belgium stuff is quite expensive) though regal ice do a chocolate FLAVOUR icing if you want to try with that first?
i did a blossom tree cake, and just piped the branches on with a star tip :rofl: it was a big cake for a nursery.
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs115.snc3/16270_188203606925_188177171925_2980313_3627286_n.jpg

i did this when i didnt have many tappit letters LOL i HATE free piping writing, but thats all i had back in the day!! :rofl:
you can kinda guess the size of the cake just by looking at the tiny blossoms!! LOL

as for the me to you cake...ive done quite a few models that can be sat on the cake:
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs115.snc3/16270_188217946925_188177171925_2980428_2155511_n.jpg

or you can do a full 3d sat up one (it can be hell though :rofl:)

No Tracey, was ready rolled regal ice:wacko:
Its only the blue though, white is fine..grrrrr!

I thought I might just try piping the branches with choc buttercream but I'm not too confident in my piping skills, so might have to practise that one.

I bloody hate those tappits....I cant get them to work for me, taook me about an hour to get L E O out of them the other night...any tips would be fab!:thumbup:

:) roll out your fondant super thin for the tappits, i try to use flower paste of mix in some gum trag to the fondant to make it firmer, leave it to sit for about 15 mins to dry out a bit then try it :)

Oh shit, ive got ready coloured blue regalice for the trainer cake!!

jac, thats the beauty about branches....they arent perfect LOL, i didnt even think about the tree, i just started piping and stuck blossoms on them, however u pipe them they should look good!! and if they dont, carefully scrape them off n do them again! :)

mmmm not sure about the blue then....is it baby blue, or the darker blue?? did u use too much icing sugar for rolling it?? thats the only other thing i can think off. to do it next time u can try rubbing a very small amount of trex into it (and i mean small!) BUT the only problem then is the blue part will look abit shiny (im not really a fan of shiny icing....unless it needs to be LOL)

each tappit set works best with its own thickness of icing.

the script works best with real thin icing, yet u can get away with the funky letters on slightly thicker so the 'spiral' bits in some of the letters are more defined. i leave mine on the top for a while before cutting out, and leave them to dry abit too once cut out...makes them easier to pick up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->