• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cake Making & Baking Group

Thankyou. I am a bit caked out ATM! The HP one looked better in RL than the photo I think. This one looks much better in the photo than RL! :haha: I iced it in a stupid way at first too, which too ages. Then I looked at it and realised the blue was too dark, so took it all off and started again. Oops!

I've got three more to make for Saturday. Lucky I like doing them!

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/3ab0c373.jpg

Thankyou.

Can I just ask, if anyone makes cakes for a living, how much you'd charge for these sort of cakes, or if anyone has bought one how much you've paid? The bear and Thomas would be around 20 generous potions each, the choc about 40 portions, the HP about 60. I did them all for nothing, except the Thomas, which I asked for the cost of the ingredients. I just do them as a hobby, but might think about a business in the future once I've had more practice.

Thanks.

My usual cake would be about 40-50 depending how much effort detail. Although I have been told that's very cheap.

Work out how much it costs you to make it from everything to sugar paste, eggs, gun trag, glue, board, box etc then either charge an hourly rate or a flat rate to be made :)

Xx

I want that HP cake :brat:
the wings on the snitch are amazing, how did you do that?? x

Midori - Fab cake! :thumbup:

Hi Ladies :wave:

I haven't been on for a while. I haven't had the time. Here are the pictures of the girls birthday cake and cupcakes. :) I know a few of you ladies have already seen them..

Attachments

• 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 44
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 27
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 29
laura, those cakes are amazing! i love the big one..incredible! how long did it take you to put together? and did you use cigarellos (sp?) i bet they went down well! x

I LOVE that hp cake amazing!!!!

Laura that cake is cute!! I love the bees :)

laura, those cakes are amazing! i love the big one..incredible! how long did it take you to put together? and did you use cigarellos (sp?) i bet they went down well! x

Not long believe it or not. Just two round sponges sandwiched together with buttercream. Took about 20 minutes once the cakes were cooled. Yeah they are cigarellos and they aren't cheap!! Box of 74 is £12.95. :roll: silly prices but they make the cake look incredible, it went down well. :)

They're amazing laura! Are there cheaper alternatives to cigarellos?

Hi ladies

Hope you don't mind me asking, a very simple basic question but I am a total cake novice! When I'm making icing to pipe on top of cakes - is it buttercream icing you use? Does anyone have a recipe - I tried it tonight with buttercream but it just seemed a bit runny? Then when they are made do you store them in the fridge??

I'm also about to buy a wilton 1M nozzle to do big cupcake icing...........what size disposable piping bag is best???

Thank you xxx

I'm a bit rubbish with cupcakes really, but I never weigh anything for my buttercream and it's always fine. I use about 250g of butter to 1kg of icing sugar, but I know some people use half the amount of icing sugar to the same of butter. I add vanilla or something else to flavour it and a dash of water/milk if it's too stiff. If yours is runny, add some more icing sugar?

Laura, the girls cake looks fabulous!!! It is so cute too and I bet they loved it! Were your cigarillos from the craft company? I think they are cheapest, but their boxes are smaller (500g). I've paid £30 for a 750g box locally when I needed them fast before! How did you find the ones you used?

Has/does anyone here use LorAnn oils? I got one to try and used it to flavour the buttercream for my cupcakes last night and they are amazing! Only tried the caramel one so far.

Last nights effort, banoffee:

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/a9124aa3.jpg

Hi ladies

Hope you don't mind me asking, a very simple basic question but I am a total cake novice! When I'm making icing to pipe on top of cakes - is it buttercream icing you use? Does anyone have a recipe - I tried it tonight with buttercream but it just seemed a bit runny? Then when they are made do you store them in the fridge??

I'm also about to buy a wilton 1M nozzle to do big cupcake icing...........what size disposable piping bag is best???

Thank you xxx

Also meant to say, I find Asda disposable piping bags good.

Laura - I said it before & I'll say it again - Amazing x I love the stand you used too x

For buttercream I use 80g butter 250g icing sugar & a dash of milk if its too stiff x

I've got my cupcake class tonight :happydance: will post pics tomorrow x

im practising making sugarpaste figurines to go on a cake for my OHs friend...OH suggested a naughty cake! cant seem to get the arms right though? getting a bit better each time with the legs :thumbup:

Attachments

• Figure.jpg
    Figure.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Ladies :) My girls were very impressed. :)

I work in ounces so I use 8oz butter and 16oz icing sugar which if I am right works out to be 250g of butter and 500g icing sugar. Lol.

How did the class go Reedy?

I did some Minnie Mouse ones for a friends daughter.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 9
Fab cakes as always ladies! Laura I love the girl's cake! So adorable.

Midori - I usually charge about £25 for a basic 8'' cake, up to £35/£40 for a bigger or really detailed ones/loads of characters etc. No one round here would pay more than that - but I guess it all depends on your clientele!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->