Calories during pregnancy

Eatin42

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm only 4 wks preggers and don't see by ob for another week, so...I was eating 900-1000 calories/day pre-preggers. I have increased to 1200, is that enough for the 1st trimester? I honestly have tried to eat more but I am too full.

That is not going to be enough. Increase gradually to give your body time to adjust and talk to your Dr about ways to increase calories and nutrition. I'd recommend starting with a smoothie with protein powder if you are really struggling to increase your calories. You can make it with yogurt, frozen fruits and a good quality protein powder.

In first tri is doesn't matter so much, bubbas feeding from it's yolk sac it's more you you need to worry about... Eat healthy and balanced don't think about calories, 2nd tri is more important, that's when it switches to the placenta so you need to up your calories but do it gradual like sevenladybugs said. There's no such thing as eating for 2 nowadays, a varied healthy diet is more important! I ate my way through fast food first time around and gained 4 stone, this time imbeing a good girl lots of fruit and veg and the occasional pig out at weekends!! Don't over eat to gain calories if it makes you ill!!

Well means females are meant to eat 2000 calories, with an extra 200/300 calories in first tri, I wouldnt worry so much, just eat what you feel comftable eating, just as long as its not ridiculous small amounts.. I dont know any woman who manages to eat 2000 calories anyway! lol xx

It depends on how much you weigh. But I will tell you that any number below 1200 is dangerous no matter what your weight is, and even if you're not pregnant. Even when I was dieting I never dipped below 1400 and lost loads of weight. Ironically if I ate less than 1400 I would stop losing weight. At 1200 the average body goes into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism thinking that you're trying to starve it so that it desperately holds on to its fat reserves. It's not healthy to short circuit your metabolism this way and could lead to problems later on. At the moment I'm aiming for 1800-2000.

You don't have to eat a lot of food to get your daily required nutrients. As long as you are eating fresh fruits and vegetables and getting in some complex carbohydrates you will be fine. Personally I need protein as well and get it from salmon, chicken, beef, pork, all very good for you.

If you're still having a hard time getting in all your calories there are a few foods that you can eat in small amounts that add good fats, loads of calories and are packed nutritionally.

1/2 cup peanuts = 400cal
1 avocado = 150cal
1tbsp olive oil = 119cal
1 slice whole wheat bread = 80-100cal
1/2 cup raisins = 260cal
1tbsp peanut butter - 85cal
cheese
dark chocolate
Juice
small banana = 100cal

All these can help you pack on some more healthy and much needed calories. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

sorry nosing from second tri..1200 is not enough. you need to figure out the calories needed to maintain your weight. thats all you really need in the 1st tri..in the 2nd and 3rd tri you'll need to up your cals 300 more.

You're definately not eating enough calories pregnant or not pregnant. You also dont need to eat any extra calories (if you ate enough) up until 3rd tri.

erm just wondered why you ate so little before you was pregnant? also dont worry about the whole eating thing too much in the first trimester but as the baby gets bigger you will get your appetite back and you should listen to your body when your hungry eat dont worry about calories x

Hi everyone! I'm only 4 wks preggers and don't see by ob for another week, so...I was eating 900-1000 calories/day pre-preggers. I have increased to 1200, is that enough for the 1st trimester? I honestly have tried to eat more but I am too full.

How on earth did you survive on 900 calories a day? Thats unhealthy even for someone who isn't pregnant!

Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see what supplements and/or calorie shakes you could have which are safe during pregnancy?
I don't advise doing it on your own though, best get proper nutritional advice if your finding it hard to eat.

Thank you all for your responses! I've had a long history of anorexia. I'm 5'6 and very thin but not sure what I weigh because I can't get on a scale or it makes me more obsessed. I'd say 105-110. I do eat very heathly even though it's not a lot of calories...eggs, egg whites, chicken,steak,lots of veggies, and salmon. Well hopefully my doctor can help me figure it out. I obviously can't even imagine my baby being harmed because I didn't eat enough but it's hard when I feel so full already and obviously don't want to gain more weight than absolutely needed. I have cut running out for now and am just walking a fee miles a couple times a week. Thank you all again. I really appreciate it!!

Eatin42, I wondered if that was the case. Im sorry if I was harsh. I have a history of body dysmorphic disorder so can understand your anxieties. Although Im delighted I have my poppet Im very anxious about weight gain too. But Im just trying to get over it because my poppet's health is number one. Hopefully your Doctor can guide you along the right path. Good luck x

MrsPOP, no u were not harsh. Thank u for your concern. I'll just keep trying to increase my calories til I see my ob on 16th. Hopefully my body will start to feel more hungry. I do have a lot of friends who were so sick in the 1st tri that they couldn't keep anything down...so at least I'm not sick...yet;)

Well I was super nauseous last week but ravenous today! lol! Think it can be variable. Keep us posted what your Ob says hun xxx

Don't think about eating exactly 2000 cals a day... More important eat regular and healthy. The baby gets all it needs in first tri, most people are nauseas or vomiting there way through first trimester and babies end up fine. Your eating so that's a good thing just try going into next tri upping cals alot more. Listen to your body, if it needs more cals it will tell you! There will be days you feel like not eating much and days when your starving hungry, just don't ignore your body when it wants food like you probably would normally!! Baby will be fine as long ad your eating but you don't want to be ill either by not having enough. You can't fight the weight gain but you can stay healthy, light excersise is not out the question, it's good for you in your run up to labour just remember if your burning cals you NEED to replace them by eating alot more.

Quick question...how do I attach these cute graphics from "the bump" on to my profile here? All of yours look super cute!!

Your body is trying to build a human....something that requires alot of energy and protein. You really need to step it up.....You really need to talk to your doctor as 900 calories is unsafe for anyone and 1200 still isn't enough in pregnancy. Peanut butter is a great source of protein and higher in calories....add it to some toast in the morning and that is a start. Try to eat small amounts every 2 hours....you wont get the "I'm stuffed" feeling but you will beable to get more calories in. Good luck!!!

sounds lie all the foods you eat are alot healthier than what i eat lol you dont have to start scoffing like a pig maybe just try and eat a bit more of what you already eat gl x

I think you need 400 extra, you don't need to eat loads and loads you know I certainly don't.
A healthy balanced diet and eating little and oftern is quite normal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->