• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
We got a Vax Astrata Power just over a year ago and it's seriously driving me nuts! Every time I go to use it (and I mean EVERY time!), I have to take it to pieces and put the driver belt back on! I have no idea how it works its way off but it does, and it's so frustrating. Kind of puts me off hoovering as much as I should :rofl:

I have complained to Vax but all they want to do is take it away and "repair" it - but it seems to be a design fault, as I've since read some reviews online (should have done that before getting it!) and it seems that everyone who has this is experiencing the same thing.

Anyway...I think the time has come to give in and get a new one. It was £50 from Poundstretcher so although it's annoying, at least I didn't spend £100s on it!

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent hoover? I prefer bagless, but other than that don't mind whether upright or cylinder as long as it's effective but not too expensive! We have a cat and cream carpets....!

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

We also made a major mistake in buying a Vax when our Dyson (10 years old) died, after sending it away for repair twice we bit the bullet and bought another Dyson when they were on offer at Argos.

They are without doubt THE best vacuum cleaner on the market

Yes !!! I have just bought a Samsung from tesco for 59 quid and its just like a dyson ... I am well impressed.

https://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6741.aspx

super suction.. couldnt believe the stuff it picked up. and it comes with an extra tool for pet hair and cleaning the car. But The normal bit has no problems on our dogs hair.

Bargain !

Really dont know how dyson get away with the ridiculous price tag, In my opinion this one is the same if not better than a dyson.

Thank you both but k8y, I think your recommendation is more within our price range at the moment! I'm definitely going to check that one out if it has good suction and copes with animal fur!

x

Thank you both but k8y, I think your recommendation is more within our price range at the moment! I'm definitely going to check that one out if it has good suction and copes with animal fur!

x

If you look on the tesco site you can see all the reviews from people who have bought them

After many years of having dysons we decided to buy a Miele cat and dog. It's a cylinder, which I've never had before, and has bags. But it is the best vacum we've ever had, the first time I used it I couldn't believe how different the carpets looked.

I got this one when it was half price in Argos for £75 ish. It's now £130 though :-(
https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Prod...|Upright+bagless+vacuum+cleaners|14418648.htm

It is the best hoover I've ever had, suction is fab and adjustable for hard floors to deep pile, had no problems and it has a HEPA filter. It's not half price anymore but you could order here https://www.less4u2pay.co.uk/Russell_Hobbs_Pet_Cyclonic_1800W_Bagless_Vacuum_qp_174--cpgn-1.html

Never used the site though so maybe best to do some reading and make sure they're a reliable seller?

Or check out the other half price hoovers on argos as they have plenty of reviews online xxx

P.s. it has a short hose thingy which is a bit annoying but I only use it one or twice a week, maybe go with a different one if you use the hose part alot xx

After many years of having dysons we decided to buy a Miele cat and dog. It's a cylinder, which I've never had before, and has bags. But it is the best vacum we've ever had, the first time I used it I couldn't believe how different the carpets looked.

Miele always score very well in "Which". Renown for their relability, the Rolls Royce of electrical products. Their washing machines come with 10 year guarantee. Built to last.

My in-laws have a Sebo - again, has bags, but like Miele, extremely high performance vacum cleaner.

Another Miele recommendation here - gets our cat hairs up really well and is reasonably light/small.

I would say either a Miele or a Dyson - both are more expensive, but are a far better investment in the long run!

My Henry is fab!:thumbup:

Ditto only one i would have around me. Used it in shops i worked in and ended up buying one. got a good long lead on it to so no constant unplugging from room to room. had mine for 5 years now not a prob and bags are really cheap on ebay. They about £90 or less I think. you can get 3 different ones, pink, green and red one.

ive had dysons n vax but i love my hetty got it second hand n brought a rotating brush imo it better than dyson or vax

Miele are good because they tend to be quieter than most vacuums.

Henry is the best, hetty is pretty much the same but pink. You can get the microfilter model of Henry from costco for about £100 (even on the cheapest site online its about £120). We have been through so many vacuum cleaners throughout the years and all of them broke spectacularly. I would not swap my henry for anything now; we've had it for 5 months and its still looking and performing brand new, the bags last for ages and you can suck up anything but cigarette butts; hot ashes or water according to the instructions! I know some builders who use it to suck up rubble and dust and no harm done.

The best hoover that i have bought is the Miele Cat and Dog hair cylinder not bagless but brilliant and has 2 years warrant from john Lewis. Mine was £189. Highly recommend as had loads of hoovers over past 18 years.

Dyson Dyson Dyson. A well designed and well built machine. To be honest, the amount of times we would need to wet clean a carpet are so few that we just borrow a vax carpet cleaner from a friend. The Dyson is our best vacuum cleaner yet. We have a dog too so even better!

I had for the longest time the bag vacuum then we found this bisell for pets at walmart and I'm so amazed on how much hair and dust comes up. We used it the first time and was amazed at how much dust/dirt/hair was on our carpets so we repeated 2 more times and finally on the 4th time we felt the carpet was clean.

We were going to buy a Dyson from John Lewis 2 years ago but the salesman recommended a Sebo and we've been very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->