Can anyone shed some light on IUI odds?

Smurfette

Mummy to Sam and TTC #2
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've recently had our first cycle of IUI and am having trouble getting my head around the odds of it working and was hoping that someone could help me.

I had 3 large follicles (and one smaller one) and DH had 11 million :spermy: post wash (which we were told by our fertility nurse was a higher than usual number). What I don't understand is that if I have more eggs than usual, plus only the top notch :spermy: were used and put in exactly the right place at the right time why are the chances of conception only 10% higher than normal?

I'm trying desperately not to get my hopes up too much but until someone can explain the stats to me I'm finding it difficult not to!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Smurfette,

Have a look at the thread I posted after my first IUI appointment, hopefully it will help to make sense of it all!

https://www.babyandbump.com/problem...98-intrauterine-insemination-information.html

Millnsy x

Good luck Smurfette - all sounds a good base so lets hope the boys get swimming! :spermy:

Millnsy - very useful IUI info - thanks! Had my first scan today for first cycle at QMC - funny result as my lining was thicker that they would expect on day 5 and I also have a 1.3mm follicle, which may just be last month's fading away but I am going ahead anyway. You are a good example that it can work!

Thanks for that!!! Really helps to put things in perspective!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was told that in most cases, only the largest/strongest follicule actually becomes an egg and ovulates. I had two large follicules and one smaller one, and was really hoping for a two egg OV this month. It would have been nice to have double the odds, but I'm good with just one! Baby dust!!

Hi, I'm not the best when it comes to statistics and I've not posted much but I just wanted to wish you all the best. I consider myself very lucky to have concieved on my 3rd IUI - I was 40 at the time so my chances weren't going to be great to start with, I don't think I was even being given a 1 in 10 chance. I am now over in 3rd trimester with 7 weeks until my due date. You hold in there.

Thanks rags!!!!! I love hearing IUI success stories!! Good luck with your last few weeks honey.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good Luck!!

I am on my 3rd IUI. I had three large follicles last month. I took the hcg shot... Don't know how many I actually ovulated. I'm not preggo yet... My husband had over 100 million sperm... which is pretty high...

I am always wondering... with so many sperm how can they NOT find the egg?? Does he have stupid sperm :rofl:

I go in for my day 12 scan on Thursday, so we will see what happens this month.

Good luck with everything. I know chances are low with IUI, but I have several frinds who got pregnant on their first round.

I hear ya Bebecake! My husband had 40 million after the wash and I keep thinking, "how can one of them NOT make it to the egg?!?" Even though this was my first IUI though it was the month I produced the least amount of likely to O follicles so I am going to give it another month if this doesn't work.

Readyforbaby- Do you have any news yet? Any symptoms that I could possibly be looking for since I'm about a week behind you?

Bebecake- Good luck with you IUI! What is a day 12 scan? I'm on my second IUI, but our count was only .2 million. I really do think sperm are stupid because they just swim around in there aimlessly and just bump into each other, and hopefully the egg! It takes a woman to help a man have any sense whatsoever! Ha!

And you say chances are low with IUI? How low? My dr. said about 30%, but I'm wondering if you've heard differently.

My fertility nurse said they had a 33% success rate for IUI (which I assumed was a general IUI stat but obviously not). Maybe it depends on the country or PCT (if you live in the UK)?

xxxxxxxxxx

Readyforbaby- Do you have any news yet? Any symptoms that I could possibly be looking for since I'm about a week behind you?

Bebecake- Good luck with you IUI! What is a day 12 scan? I'm on my second IUI, but our count was only .2 million. I really do think sperm are stupid because they just swim around in there aimlessly and just bump into each other, and hopefully the egg! It takes a woman to help a man have any sense whatsoever! Ha!

And you say chances are low with IUI? How low? My dr. said about 30%, but I'm wondering if you've heard differently.

It is about 30% for people who do not have issues... Most of us in LTTC have issues, so our chances are lower. For example... I have stage 2 endo and unexplained infertility, so my chances to conceive without help is about 8%... Yeah, that low... With IUI they go up to about 15-20%, so not really good... Normal people with regular fertility have about a 20-25% chance every month... so even with the IUI I am not normal. It could be different for everyone depending on your challenges.

This is my third and last time to throw away money... but there is always hope, so I think that is why we do it...?

Unfortunately I think I am out. My only hope is that I had a strange and sharp pain today that lasted about 20 seconds but it was like a huge gas bubble or cramp on my left side and low. I am hoping by some miracle it is implantation. Wish I had more to report! Keep us posted too! 2 girls on another message board I am on got pregnant this month from IUI so it definitely happens! Good luck :)

Just to update... it worked!! I am very cautious but definitely pregnant - just got another positive. There is hope!

Congratulations ReadyforBaby!! Hopefully this is the month for all of us IUI'ers!! I've got one more week until I find out! Wishing you a blessed pregnancy!

Thank you!!! FX for a sticky bean for you as well. I know how long the 2ww is. I will keep you posted and you better keep me in the loop as well!! :)

Congrats, readyforbaby! Hope you have a H&H 9 months!!! I just did my first IUI yesterday so you def gave me some hope!

Gasp!!! Congratulations readyforbaby!!!!!!!

Have an amazing 9 months. Hopefully it's a good omen for all of us IUIers this month!!!

So pleased for you!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you so much! I am a bit worried as my tests aren't darkening but I go into today for a blood test then they check again Wednesday to make sure the amount is doubling... I will let you know. FX for a sticky bean for me.

I do hope it is a good omen for all you first time IUIers like myself! :)

Congratulations readyforbaby!! What fantastic news to start the new year!

I hope you ladies don't mind me joining your thread...a quick backgound on me, I have problem ovulating (after being on the pill for 10 years). I was on clomid 2 cycles, and just started Gonal-F this cycle, and will be doing IUI for the first time. DH did 2 spermy tests - first one was fine except for super low motility, second test showed great motility, but only 4% morphology! So we make a right pair! haha I'm not sure what our chances of success are, but with his spermys not great, I think the FS said today our chances were about 10%. We'll try for 3 cycles, and if it doesn't work, we'll have to move on to IVF. Fx'd it works!!

Smurfette - you must be testing soon??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->