Can I decline the glucose test?

LilPeanuts

Reaction score
This is my 3rd pregnancy and the one thing I always dread is the glucose test. I failed the 1 hour test with my other pregnancies but always passed the 3 hour test. I'll do anything to make sure the baby is safe obviously. I'm just wondering if this is an important and necessary test?

You can, but is it worth it? I had GD with my second child and wouldn't risk it.

Wss. Nothing is mandatory but I wouldn't risk having such a potentially dangerous condition undetected. Just because you were fine in previous pregnancies, doesn't guarantee you will be now. And if you do develop GD and you don't know, it can have serious consequences for you and for your baby. Not worth it.

I don't think they can make you do anything!

I've been told by my team that under no circumstances am I to have it because it would make me very poorly! (I had surgery back in April so I still see them for check ups for that) I saw her like 3 days after I found out I was expecting so didn't Think to ask if there are alternatives!

I have to agree w the others. In my first pregnancy, I vomited during the 1 hour test and had to come back and redo it. As much as I'm dreading it, I wouldn't consider not doing it this time.

Having had GD, I wouldn't risk it. It's not pleasant, but it's better to know for sure so it can be treated.

Ask fr alternatives; some docs allow digestion of certain high sugar foods, followed by blood test. Other thing is that you can get a glucometer and monitor your levels fr a week or so & hand them in to doctor fr review. The glucose tests is indeed disgusting & if more women would be critical of the way its administered, other ways are available to test if you have GD.

From what I've been told (I could be wrong) the only thing that changes is your diet. But if I'm already eating a healthy diet, if I found out I had GD, what else would change? I have also heard you're at risk for a larger baby that might not be able to deliver naturally but I already know I'm having a c-section so that wouldn't matter either. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I truly don't know what else is done to treat GD during pregnancy other than monitoring and healthy diet. Any information is appreciated!

They didn't even do this test with me. Told me after I gave birth they thought I had it. So I don't think it's mandatory x

From what I've been told (I could be wrong) the only thing that changes is your diet. But if I'm already eating a healthy diet, if I found out I had GD, what else would change? I have also heard you're at risk for a larger baby that might not be able to deliver naturally but I already know I'm having a c-section so that wouldn't matter either. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I truly don't know what else is done to treat GD during pregnancy other than monitoring and healthy diet. Any information is appreciated!

I think you should do a few searches online about GD and get educated about high and low blood sugar, both can be extremely dangerous for you and baby. As for other treatments....you could be required to take insulin to control high blood sugar

Here's a good place to start: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...al-diabetes/basics/complications/con-20014854

There is certainly more than just a dietary change - sometimes that doesn't even help and you require medication.

The placenta can start to fail early, the baby can grow very large and have problems with it's blood sugar levels at birth, you may have to have an induction or c-section earlier than your due date, and your pregnancy would be considered high risk. There is testing of blood sugars before and after your main meals, visits with a diabetes nurse and generally more monitoring. Babies born to mothers with GD can have more trouble with breathing than other babies.

Also, the healthy diet stuff...what the diabetes nurse had me eating wasn't really helping my blood sugars either. I think they advise far too much sugar which is strange! I was told to eat yoghurt, fruit or something else carb heavy like bread with every meal.

Thanks for all the info ladies! My doctor never explained why the test was even done. It seemed really unnecessary at the time, especially because I always ended up passing the 3 hour anyway. It's not easy finding a sitter for both my kids and dh works 6 days a week. So I was hoping to avoid it if the test wasn't a necessity. But obviously it sounds like there's more to it than just eating healthy! I'll definitely be asking my doctor more in depth questions when it comes time for testing. I feel like these days they offer so many different types of tests that it's difficult to know which are actually important and which are just a money maker for them. You know?

Never be afraid to ask your doctor questions about any test they offer. The glucose test is one of the most important test as it can lead to very serious problems if you have GD.

As far as avoiding the 3 hour test, there are some things you can do to sway the 1 hour test in your favor by minimizing and stabilizing your blood sugar before you do it. Basically try to schedule the test relatively early in the day, minimize your carbohydrate intake that morning and the night before (especially avoiding simple sugars and starches), and eat a some protein in the 2-3 hours before you go to the test. The process of digesting proteins can help.minimize how much your blood sugar spikes in response to the sugar load. None of this will "override" the test so that it looks negative if you have GD, but it can help prevent a false positive and maybe make you feel less sick during the test.

They never drew my blood when I went the first time bc I puked during the waiting time, but I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary to prepare. On my second try of the 1 hour test, I had grilled chicken and veggies with a piece of whole grain toast for dinner, got up around 6 am and had some almonds and a boiled egg for breakfast, and started the test around 730 or 800. The drink was still nasty and made me want to puke, but it wasn't the overwhelming full-body sickness I had the first time.

To be honest, in my successful pregnancies that I got far enough to do the glucose test, I declined both times. I researched the diet that people with GD ate and I followed that as closely as I could. I did have regular blood tests done to check for diabetes but I never did the 1 hour or 3 hour glucose test. Maybe you could ask the doctor about that instead and just watch for the signs of GD. My two were both born big for their dates and the first thought from the birth center staff was diabetes, both of which tested negative. They were simply big babies probably more from genetics than anything (I was almost 9 lbs. and DH was over 10 lbs. at birth). If on the other hand diabetes runs in your close family, since it is closely linked between regular diabetes and GD, I would probably do it just to be on the safe side but if not, it is entirely your choice. All tests are technically optional and a patient can't be forced to undergo testing that they believe would cause more stress than provide answers. For example, if you get sick, it will be much less accurate.

Yes you can. I declined it with my 3rd pregnancy, and will decline the test with this pregnancy as well. I'm with a midwife, and she has told me that there are others markets that can indicate an issue, and if that happens than I can go for the glucose test.

I did an alternative test with a specific meal after a fast. First pregnancy it was 8 ounces apple juice and a specific number of saltines. Second pregnancy it was 20 ounces of apple juice. Both times it was a 2 hour test not 1, and my second pregnancy they also asked for a fasting glucose test for 3 days in a row. Maybe ask if there is an alternative you can do?

I don't understand why you wouldn't do everyhting you could to try to protect your baby even if it meant making you sick or uncomfortable. It's a non invasive easy test that could predict the future outcome of your baby.... Scary to think that my discomfort about drinking a glass of sugar goop would stop me from keeping my baby safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->