Can I decline the glucose test?

Ive never had a glucose test before in either of my pregnancies and when I went to the midwife with this one, she skipped right past it mentioning she didn't think I'd need it? Anyone else have this or are they supposed to test everyone

I don't understand why you wouldn't do everyhting you could to try to protect your baby even if it meant making you sick or uncomfortable. It's a non invasive easy test that could predict the future outcome of your baby.... Scary to think that my discomfort about drinking a glass of sugar goop would stop me from keeping my baby safe

Wow

Ive never had a glucose test before in either of my pregnancies and when I went to the midwife with this one, she skipped right past it mentioning she didn't think I'd need it? Anyone else have this or are they supposed to test everyone

I think with the nhs you only get offered it if you hit trigger points such as existing family history of diabetes, a high bmi or a previous baby over 9lb

In my last set of notes there was a list and at the bottom she had ticked not required.

I don't understand why you wouldn't do everyhting you could to try to protect your baby even if it meant making you sick or uncomfortable. It's a non invasive easy test that could predict the future outcome of your baby.... Scary to think that my discomfort about drinking a glass of sugar goop would stop me from keeping my baby safe

I think this is quite harsh as she didn't seem to understand the dangers of not doing the test before this thread and was wondering if there were alternative options. Which is definitely OK.

Op, if I didn't have a history of gd, they were going to just have me have a breakfast with a glass of orange juice an hour before my appointment and getting my blood drawn. But since I have a history of it they told me to have a protein rich breakfast 2 hours before and then I had the drink an hour before. Maybe ask if you can eat a breakfast with something with sugar like juice instead at the right time? There are alternative ways to find out. I know how miserable it is. I kept barely passing the one hour with my second so I had to keep taking the three hour and throwing up and rescheduling. I wish I had known then there were other ways to test it.

Medic, I explained that I wasn't aware of the importance of the test which is why I asked if it's necessary. My doctor offers a whole list of tests and most aren't needed. Of course I want to do everything possible for my baby's well being. If you read my other responses you'll see I was unaware of the risks of GD. That's why I asked. I would appreciate not being judged so harshly. I think we are all just trying to do the best we can here and support is much more helpful than judgement.

I think this is quite harsh as she didn't seem to understand the dangers of not doing the test before this thread and was wondering if there were alternative options. Which is definitely OK.

Op, if I didn't have a history of gd, they were going to just have me have a breakfast with a glass of orange juice an hour before my appointment and getting my blood drawn. But since I have a history of it they told me to have a protein rich breakfast 2 hours before and then I had the drink an hour before. Maybe ask if you can eat a breakfast with something with sugar like juice instead at the right time? There are alternative ways to find out. I know how miserable it is. I kept barely passing the one hour with my second so I had to keep taking the three hour and throwing up and rescheduling. I wish I had known then there were other ways to test it.

I don't have a history of GD and diabetes doesn't run in the family. I never had any of the risk factors with my other pregnancies (not overweight and my babies were always on the smaller side). I think where I live it's just standard to test everyone for it. When I fail the first test I always stress out thinking something is wrong but then I pass the 3 hour test with flying colors.

I hate responses like this..She is asking a question, ur typing she doesn't want to protect her child , her discomfort..Where in God's name did your response come from? Good Grief :wacko: Drives me insane..

I think with the nhs you only get offered it if you hit trigger points such as existing family history of diabetes, a high bmi or a previous baby over 9lb

In my last set of notes there was a list and at the bottom she had ticked not required.

Every woman in every pregnancy is urged to take it here, you can have it and have no indications whatsoever of diabetes in your family history, and even "skinny" women get it too. I find it so strange when they do this in other countries! Then you hear lots of women on here having very large babies (9lbs+) as though it were a perfectly average birth weight, and I wonder if they had GD and had no idea.

My first baby wasn't large at all, he was barely 7lbs 4oz a week overdue. Going by that and my family history I probably would not have been tested for GD on the British NHS, but I had it with my daughter and she was 8lbs a week early, is still overweight, and I became prediabetic after her birth (back to normal after diatary changes). I was so stubborn to get the testing done with her also and didn't do so till 34 weeks, because I was so sure I wouldn't get GD.

I've already had HbA1c taken this pregnancy, which looks at the average load of sugar in your blood over about the previous 8 weeks, mine is perfect right now but doesn't mean it won't change quickly as pregnancy advances.

I don't have a history of GD and diabetes doesn't run in the family. I never had any of the risk factors with my other pregnancies (not overweight and my babies were always on the smaller side). I think where I live it's just standard to test everyone for it. When I fail the first test I always stress out thinking something is wrong but then I pass the 3 hour test with flying colors.

I totally understand! I'm quite small and was underweight my first pregnancy and still ended up with it. Quite the surprise and my babies were very average sizes... 7 lbs 6 Oz and 6 lbs 12 Oz despite having gd with both Babies. This pregnancy I actually passed the glucose test so all pregnancies are different. I agree I think it's a pretty standard test. :) not fun.. But important. Would definitely ask about other ways to test it though that might be easier. Good luck to you ladies! That is one test I dreaded from the beginning of the pregnancy lol

Wondering if you can ask for alternatives? My OB had me drink a can of non diet soda for my test. I never asked for anything different, he just always does the soda. Good luck, hun. I hope if you do it, that you pass the 1 hr this time!

I will admit I am not looking forward to that stupid drink. How can they make sugar taste so terrible? Surely there is a nicer way they can present it to us, like with some lollipops or something.

I asked my dr today and apparently it's a required test. Even though I can see how it might be an important test, I am still a firm believer that the tests we go through and the things we put into our body should be our choice in the end. This is my last pregnancy so I will suck it up and do it but I will certainly prepare better for it by making sure I eat properly beforehand. I don't want another false reading! If testing for GD is so important, I really think they need to come up with a more accurate way to test. So many of my friends failed the first test and did NOT have GD. It's frustrating.

There are other markers or 'red flags' for diabetes that can indicate a problem and at that point a woman can go for a glucose test. Let's not put guilt onto a woman for choosing something different than what others might be choosing.
We all have the same hope, to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->