Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Its categorized oddly (to me that is).

She can either be in the 2-4 year classes (which are parent involved) or the 5-6 ones which are parent independent but far too old for her at the moment. Tbh I wasn't overly impressed with the class we did before there. It was supposed to be Active Kids and it was okay, but literally they just threw out a bunch of toys/hula hoops/wands with ribbons etc and let the kids do what they wanted. No structure, or learning or games which I was hoping we'd get in there.

:shrug:

I'll keep looking. Maybe community rec isn't the way to go for us, might have to look in private.

It is hit or miss here as to which community centre you go to. With the one that is thankfully closest to us they are great! All the instructors are older, they have been teachers in the past, they are organized and structured.

We attempted one class at a different community centre that was awful! 90% of the parents took their kids out of the class and demanded refunds it was that bad (us included!).

If I'm paying $ for it I'm like you I want something that I can't do at home, or at least to feel like she's getting something out of it you know?? I can throw toys in the middle of the floor at the house and let her go at it any time :haha:

The one class I withdrew from was supposed to be art and than something active but the art was just painting with their hands.....every single week! And the "sports" was a bunch of balls thrown into the middle of the floor :wacko:

I can't find any classes to go to with Elyse with OR without parent here :dohh:

There seems to be like baby signing, salsa babies, and baby picasso when they are up to 12 months then nothing until about 3 (except for swimming)... and at 3 it is still only kinder dance basically. I can't find any art or music classes... even the library is mostly story time.

i will try some suggestions on the mac and cheese... but i have a funny feeling this girl takes after her daddy and will only eat the junk food kind.

i had chicken terriaki at the mall for lunch and shared it with her. she really liked it. she needs to learn to SWALLOW. she mushes the food around in her mouth. i try to give her sips of water to promote the swallowing so i can give her more. but she just gets mad im not giving her more food when she has both cheeks stuffed full :dohh:

If i had a fav store with a 60% off sale right now, i would def start xmas/bday shopping Sarah!

I love hot yoga Tiff. I hope you figure something out!! that sucks about classes for C :(

Girl after my own heart! I adore anything teriyaki and P accuses me of drinking soy sauce. :blush:

Swallowing was frustrating for us though Hannah was older and would just leave food shoved in her cheeks :roll: Mostly because she didn't want to eat it :rofl:

Wow Tasha, I can't believe there aren't many choices there either!

:shock:
The store opened at 10am. We got there about 10:15 and it was already PACKED to the gills. I gave up.
I felt very proud of myself actually. Sure, there were some great deals, but none of them were on my list of things AND there was no way I was gong to wait 45 minutes in a line-up to pay for things that I really don't need. Plus, trying to hold an armful of stuff and keep track of two toddlers in the utter chaos that was the store was beyond silly.
We bailed. No regrets.

Home now for naps and chill out time. I want to get a bunch of housecleaning done and hopefully squeeze my workout in. I'm doing the 30-Day shred. Bi g big :thumbup: on the length of the workout. It's hard to talk yourself out of 20 minutes.

I agree Sarah - not worth it,especially if there is nothing you have your eye on on sale. Good luck with the 30 day shred!

When tim gets home im going for a run :)

Tiff - yeah, 4 on/4 off here. Classes only work for certain weeks, then you have to pay for childcare. And suddenly that class gets REALLY expensive.
And I hear your pain on the community centres. Mine has the most limited hours available for the childminding service. There are almost no fitness classes during that time and it never overlaps with a kiddy swim class. So I can't park Tobe in the daycare and go do a tadpole kind of swim class with Simon. And they don't allow me to have two kids with just one adult in the swim classes. It's frustrating - very limited options.

You all need to move to Mississauga ;)

I would have bailed on the store to Sarah! I hate line ups

not much going on here. Stan's not working out tonight so he's watching the kid and working on dinner :haha:

how did you all introduce meat to your kids?

I need to figure out what meat i can give her... i need to be able to let her feed herself, as that is the only way she'll eat, but she has her 8 teeth so she can bite peices in half, but can't really chew - so im scared to give her chunks of chicken... any suggestions?

I hope simon feels better ASAP Sarah!!

Quintinsmommy - where are you it was nice enough out today to be crusing around with your windows down LOL!!!

Im in welland, which is right outside of Niagara falls,

I can't find any classes to go to with Elyse with OR without parent here :dohh:

There seems to be like baby signing, salsa babies, and baby picasso when they are up to 12 months then nothing until about 3 (except for swimming)... and at 3 it is still only kinder dance basically. I can't find any art or music classes... even the library is mostly story time.

have you tried the YMCA? not sure if this was already mentioned

QM -ahhh thats not to far from a few of us :)

Joss - :thumbup: @ grilled cheese! i couldn't just give her strips of it, as she tried to stick the whole strip in her mouth at once... but i was able to cut up small peices and use a fork. I shared my lunch with her at the mall too (and used a plastic fork) and she more than happily ate off the fork... maybe she hates spoons??? LOL

Thanks Sarah for that info re: honey... I love honey and my uncle used to make it so were all addicted! I didn't give either kid honey until they were over a year though anyways.

And don't any of you have the YMCA there? Our Y's are great! I havent got a membership yet, but its 75$ per month for the family membership, and there is an extra charge if you want access to the drop in daycare, but its open after hours and it is super cheap, like 25$ a month or something... There is a ridiculous amount of classes for babies, children, adults etc. Great gyms, nice pools, pretty much anything you could ask for.

Sara- glad she liked the grilled cheese! I just cut it in 4 triangles for Peyton and he munches away at it. (even when he was younger).

Also regarding the chewing and swallowing, once she really is eating a good amount and variety, she will learn quickly how to eat properly.

Our Ys here are significantly more expensive than the city rec facilities. :(
Too bad.
I belonged to a Y in Toronto and it was great.

Alia will eat a sandwich cut into squares, but she much prefers when I cut things like grilled cheese into bite-sized pieces and let her use a fork.

Just catching up while Joni sleeps! Can't believe I'm a mom of two :shock: What an adventure this is :lol:

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I was doing bad at staying on track in here the past bit so I read but didn't really retain.

I just looked at my YMCA, they want $91 a month for a family membership. :wacko: That's ridiculous!

I could just pay as I went, per day its $4.50 per child (0-12yrs) and then $10.00 per adult. But that's an expensive day after awhile. I could take Claire to the Little Kritters Klub, pay $6.00 for an all day pass and that's it. :shrug: They don't charge the adults to go in.

I think you probably get more variety because of the proximity to Toronto and stuff, Vickie. Lots of demand..

Not there isn't any demand here... but stupidly, a lot of the rec centers that have stayed open here (including the newer YMCA they built) are in really inconvenient places to get to via bus. You pretty much choose from suburb or sketchy area.

We do have a lot of options for sports & 'active' programs, but nothing crafts/music related... not even anything private.

Oh and I keep meaning to ask, but what age do you usually start music lessons with kids? Obviously Elyse is too young but we'd like to start her as early as possible, Andrew plays several instruments and I always wanted to try one out-- turns out I am really not good at anything in that department whatsoever! I was even called a slow-learner when I went to an arts camp that did painting/visual arts, music, dance..

& Tiff I also find the YMCA to be really expensive- especially when you consider you're paying the membership, paying fees for some programs, and paying when you use the childminding service. And to be honest? I'm not even overly impressed by the facilities, if I am paying $100/month for a membership I kind of want the gym to be as good as the one at Goodlife or whatever, and I want good hours, none of the 10am opens and 8pm closes on 'late nights'... it's a rec center not a bank, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->